Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
I’m fascinated with the Lightship RV, built by former Tesla employees. It has solar charging energy to charge your vehicle as you drive! I‘m wondering if the Mach e is able to tow this?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m fascinated with the Lightship RV, built by former Tesla employees. It has solar charging energy to charge your vehicle as you drive! I‘m wondering if the Mach e is able to tow this?
The US-spec Mach-E is not rated for towing. That said, there are trailer hitches available for the MME. People have been known to tow things with their US-spec MMEs. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Side note: The added energy cost of dragging around a trailer would be more than its solar power generator could offset. 🤔🐩

JMC4Testing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue 2022 Ford Mustang MachE GT Performance
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Country flag
The US-spec Mach-E is not rated for towing. That said, there are trailer hitches available for the MME. People have been known to tow things with their US-spec MMEs. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Side note: The added energy cost of dragging around a trailer would be more than its solar power generator could offset. 🤔🐩

JMC4Testing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue 2022 Ford Mustang MachE GT Performance
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Country flag
I added a Class 3 Reese hitch to my MME GT-P primarily to carry my bike rack, but I fear it could jeopardize my warranty.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with Ford using the aftermarket hitch to void warranty?

BTW, it was about $225 and putting it on at a casual pace w my son helping took about 1.5 to 2 hours with no drilling.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No way, it weighs 7500 lbs. Get a F-150 Lightning or Rivian.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
A 7,500 pound trailer has a tongue weight of 975 pounds. That exceeds a Mach-E's payload.

It is also too heavy for a Lightning without a weight distribution hitch, and Max Tow.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with Ford using the aftermarket hitch to void warranty?
Adding anything aftermarket can't just void the warranty if it didn't directly cause the issue. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act has your back.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Adding anything aftermarket can't just void the warranty if it didn't directly cause the issue. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act has your back.
This.

There really isn’t such a thing as “voiding a warranty.”

Now if they can show that your aftermarket part caused the problem, that’s a risk you have to decide if you’re willing to take.

RedHookEnzo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending 2023 California Route 1
Country flag
I had no idea how much these things cost. I was *stunned*.

I also couldn’t even tow this with our gladiator

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh wow I looked it up.

7,500 lbs.

No, you can’t come even remotely close to towing this. In Europe our tow capacity is 1500 kg.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Mach-E can't tow. If you get F-150 Lightning, it can tow, but it will have very low efficiency when towing a heavy trailer. EVs aren't good at towing. According to MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles, equivalent to about 10 gal of gasoline for a combustion-powered F-150. Amount of solar power you can get is miniscule, doesn't materially change the equation.

Last edited:

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
In theory, the Lightship 1 has a motor to help propel itself along, so should be easier to tow than another 7500 lb trailer. However, a bigger vehicle would still be wise for better handling, because it's 24' long.

Personally, I would rather have a simple barebones teardrop trailer. Much more likely to be towable by a Mach-E.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Mach-E can't tow. If you get F-150 Lightning, it can tow, but it will have very low efficiency when towing a heavy trailer. EVs aren't good at towing. According to MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles, equivalent to about 10 gal of gasoline for a combustion-powered F-150. Amount of solar power you can get is miniscule, doesn't materially change the equation.
I don't think you've looked into what exactly this product is. The good -- regardless the tow vehicle, its range isn't impacted. The bad, it needs to DC fast charge to keep up said trick. The really bad -- consider a 20yr mortgage to purchase it.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I don't think you've looked into what exactly this product is. The good -- regardless the tow vehicle, its range isn't impacted. The bad, it needs to DC fast charge to keep up said trick. The really bad -- consider a 20yr mortgage to purchase it.
Actually, I did look at the product. It's battery is nowhere sufficient to compensate for its weight. It's a really dumb idea to offer such a costly inconvenient solution, when any gasoline truck would do better at a fraction of a cost.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, I did look at the product. It's battery is nowhere sufficient to compensate for its weight. It's a really dumb idea to offer such a costly inconvenient solution, when any gasoline truck would do better at a fraction of a cost.
Costly and inconvenient? Absolutely.

But it’s how rich environmentalists roll.
Sponsored