Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I posted all this information months ago, along with pictures, and a link to the pdf towing guide. I printed the guide, and it is in my car now. Search for posts by DSSDMD AND TOWING TO SEE IT ALL. i BOUGHT 2 T HOOKS FOR TOWING, BUT THEY DO NOT FIT IN THE HOLES. i JUST ORDERED SOME J HOOKS- UNDER $40.00- to see if they fit. Now try to convince a tow truck driver to listen to you on how to do it correctly!
My original post was Sept 28,2021.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Ford really needs to put big X icons stamped in the metal somehow, this is quite an oversight on their part

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Mach-E Winch Points.png
Winch point front.png

Tow operators, beware the only winch points on a Ford Mustang Mach-E are forward of the front suspension, shown in green. There is a larger hole for a winch or J-hook, and a smaller hole for a tie-down or R-hook. There is no screw-in tow hook on North American models, so the forward winch points must be used.

Do NOT pull, winch, or jack on the ALUMINUM square tubing with holes under the rocker panels, shown in blue in the figure. This is the battery guardrail, but is not designed for structural use! If you winch with a hook on this rail, it will tear (below photo) and you will permanently damage the high voltage battery. Tow operators, be aware the battery costs $28,000 to replace after the rails are ripped open, which may exceed your liability insurance. This unfortunate mistake has happened several times now, resulting in large insurance claims against the towing companies that ripped open the rails. Do not even think of putting hooks behind the front wheels on a Mach-E!
nice write-up....

Even better if the instructions on how to put in N for flat tow were added....

...and clearly illustrates the need for rear hitch, or rear tow hooks as well as front tow hooks... even if they are behind pop off covers on front and rear bumpers...

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I posted all this information months ago, along with pictures, and a link to the pdf towing guide. I printed the guide, and it is in my car now. Search for posts by DSSDMD AND TOWING TO SEE IT ALL. i BOUGHT 2 T HOOKS FOR TOWING, BUT THEY DO NOT FIT IN THE HOLES. i JUST ORDERED SOME J HOOKS- UNDER $40.00- to see if they fit. Now try to convince a tow truck driver to listen to you on how to do it correctly!
The front tow holes underneath would be bound to be buried in a ditch or snowdrift if you were calling for an extraction..... part of the reason I went ahead and installed a hitch; so there would be SOMETHING to yank on if I ever bury my nose in a snowdrift.....

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Mach-E Winch Points.png
Winch point front.png

Tow operators, beware the only winch points on a Ford Mustang Mach-E are forward of the front suspension, shown in green. There is a larger hole for a winch or J-hook, and a smaller hole for a tie-down or R-hook. There is no screw-in tow hook on North American models, so the forward winch points must be used.

Do NOT pull, winch, or jack on the ALUMINUM square tubing with holes under the rocker panels, shown in blue in the figure. This is the battery guardrail, but is not designed for structural use! If you winch with a hook on this rail, it will tear (below photo) and you will permanently damage the high voltage battery. Tow operators, be aware the battery costs $28,000 to replace after the rails are ripped open, which may exceed your liability insurance. This unfortunate mistake has happened several times now, resulting in large insurance claims against the towing companies that ripped open the rails. Do not even think of putting hooks behind the front wheels on a Mach-E!

pxl_20211001_000217712-jpg.jpg

Battery Info:

The Mach-E has a high voltage lithium ion (350V) and a low voltage lead acid AGM (12V) battery. The high voltage battery is located under the passenger compartment and is exposed on the bottom of the car. Do not scrape or damage it. The 12V battery is located in the front hood under a plastic cover. If you are called for a dead/stranded Mach-E, please attempt to jump start the 12V battery first, just like a regular car. Unless the owner drove the car to 0 miles of charge, most dead Mach-E's are actually caused by 12V battery problems. Please use jumper cables as if you were jumping a diesel engine, the small jump packs (JNC) do not always provide enough power to start a Mach-E (30+ amps needed).

Towing Info:

FYI the rear axle is locked with a parking pawl on all models. Vehicles may be RWD or AWD. When using a wheel-lift truck, the other axle (front or rear) must be put on dollies because the electric motors are permanently engaged to the wheels. Mach-E may also be flat-towed at slow speed after being put in Emergency Tow Mode (see vehicle owner's manual). The maximum speed is 35 MPH and max distance is 50 mi. If towing on a flatbed, please put the vehicle in neutral using Temporary Neutral or Emergency Tow Mode before winching. The car will not stay in neutral after you get out (automatic return to park) unless you use these modes. Temporary Neutral (expires in 30 min) may be engaged by shifting into neutral (N) and pressing the low (L) button, turn off and exit. Do not flat tow in Temporary Neutral because the park pawl may engage and lock the rear axle, breaking the rear transmission. Only use Emergency Tow Mode for flat towing.

Jacking Info:

The correct jacking points are on the battery case outboard of the guardrail, show in yellow in the figure. Use lift pad extensions if necessary. Again, do not jack or lift on the aluminum guardrail. It may crush under the weight of the vehicle (5,000 lbs).

Links:
Two thumbs up and a double espresso is on me if we ever meet up!

Holy Driver

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Created a pdf for those interested. Might be worth having in the glove box.

updated.
Is it ok to provide your PDF in our german mach-e forum?
I would link your post as source

capnhowdy21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Development Manager
Country flag
Is it ok to provide your PDF in our german mach-e forum?
I would link your post as source
I’m fine it’s not my material, I just made it easy to print.

First_MME_in_2021

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
I'm actually kind of confused about where the correct winch points are. The top diagram shows them in front of the front axles, but the Munroe pic it looks like that thing circled in green is behind the axle. Also the Towing manual says they are in front of the front axle.
So, I'm not a car expert, but it looks like the person in the picture is standing under the front end of the car with his hand on the front passenger-side wheel, so the green circle matches the diagram (I think!). (But, the .pdf actually has the original image mirrored, so I think that's what happened!)

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm no expert, but in the picture of the car on the lift there are clearly supports under the battery rail, which is not ok.

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
So what is the protocol if you pull into your garage and the car dies and you have no hitch? How will they get it out of the garage?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So what is the protocol if you pull into your garage and the car dies and you have no hitch? How will they get it out of the garage?
Push it...

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Does anybody have any pictures of a European MME front bumper? and or pictures of where the screw-in front tow hooks are mounted?

Does it use the same access port as the LVB 'recovery' jump cables?

I am contemplating a mod to add hooks. I hate the idea of just the Jhook holes underneath in the front. Could easily be impossible to reach if the front end is buried in a snowdrift or ditch. If there is a Ford part I could order for an access panel on the existing US bumper it would be easier than cutting and fitting with hinge or fasteners....

Last edited:

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Does anybody have any pictures of a European MME front bumper? and or pictures of where the screw-in front tow hooks are mounted?

I am contemplating a mod to add hooks. I hate the idea of just the Jhook holes underneath in the front. Could easily be impossible to reach if the front end is buried in a snowdrift or ditch. If there is a Ford part I could order for an access panel on the existing US bumper it would be easier than cutting and fitting with hinge or fasteners....
Access panel is already there.
Here is the US part - you can see the hole:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Winch Recovery Tow Points 1642783217471

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Winch Recovery Tow Points 1642783292490

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Bumper Impact Bar (Front). W/GT MODEL, BUMPER SUPPORT. W/O GT MODEL - LJ9Z17757A | All American Ford, Old Bridge NJ (allamericanfordinoldbridge.com)

Perhaps one our European friends can id the Ford EAO part number?

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag

Does it use the same access port as the LVB 'recovery' jump cables?

I've wondered about this myself - I think there's already a threaded hole for the tow hook behind the emergency frunk access cables, we just didn't get the actual hook in US spec cars. Even though I'd stick with the recommended points if I needed a tow, it sure seems like a tow hook would be good to have in an emergency, right?
Sponsored