Steven z

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gt
Country flag
I have a 2022 mach e gt that I took delivery on October, eventhing seems to be fine, except for this annoying wind noise that almost sound like a plastic bag fluttering in the wind when I go above 40+ mph, it intensifies as speed increases, anyone knows what's going on?
Sponsored

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I assume you have walked around and inspected for obvious? I hear front motor whine around that speed, and EVs seem to have a louder wind noise since everything else is so quiet. But never a bag flapping sound.

OP
OP

Steven z

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gt
Country flag
I have, I didn't see anything that's loose. I just sold my ioniq 5 after receiving my gt, Im used to the motor whine noise already and the normal wind noise, but this noise coming from the gt, it's driving me nuts. It's let's noticable when I have to radio on, but I usually drive without the radio on.

Hibtone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Mach E GT
Country flag
I got my GT in September, and I'm hearing a similar noise. I have no idea what's causing it, but you described it perfectly. It doesn't bother me so much.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I have a Premium and notice it. This is my third electric vehicle, so feel pretty confident in saying that this isn't just an EV thing. Unfortunately, I see these comments come up often enough that it's increasingly seeming like it's a Mach-E thing.

I posted about this as a response to another thread and Ford reached out to me about it; they're currently scheduling an appointment for me to bring my Mach-E to my dealership to have it looked into. Some people have said that the issue was fixed by doing something with the windows (maybe the front windshield, I can't recall) but from what I remember of the success stories, it was usually third-party companies that fixed it. I fully expect the dealership to tell me that they don't hear anything out of the ordinary and then I'll just have to live with it. Will certainly be reporting back very happily if that's not right.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I have a 2022 mach e gt that I took delivery on October, eventhing seems to be fine, except for this annoying wind noise that almost sound like a plastic bag fluttering in the wind when I go above 40+ mph, it intensifies as speed increases, anyone knows what's going on?
Hi Steven! I can look into your Mach-E's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Mach-E's VIN?

jakeguy99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I am having the same issue! Just picked up a 22 premium AWD last week. At first i thought the window was open a crack. It is like a whurring noise on the driver side (like what you would hear on a windy day). Literally posted the same thing on reddit last night. Anything above 40mph.

Someone had mention that if you put the mirror facing inward the noise will stop. Will test later this evening.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I have a Premium and notice it. This is my third electric vehicle, so feel pretty confident in saying that this isn't just an EV thing. Unfortunately, I see these comments come up often enough that it's increasingly seeming like it's a Mach-E thing.

I posted about this as a response to another thread and Ford reached out to me about it; they're currently scheduling an appointment for me to bring my Mach-E to my dealership to have it looked into. Some people have said that the issue was fixed by doing something with the windows (maybe the front windshield, I can't recall) but from what I remember of the success stories, it was usually third-party companies that fixed it. I fully expect the dealership to tell me that they don't hear anything out of the ordinary and then I'll just have to live with it. Will certainly be reporting back very happily if that's not right.
Mine was fixed during roof recall. They glass company didnā€™t like factory fit as there was a fairly large gap on passenger side. After they were done gap is 1/8ā€ and zero noise. Check fitment of roof to windshield gap and if itā€™s large it needs fixed.

6FC2C491-D3E9-4170-8BF1-3BBE98A9D0F2.jpeg

billytuffnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Country flag
Brought my 22 non glass roof into the dealer last week. after a week of waiting for a replacement weather strip seal, the noise is marginally better but not gone.

I'm not sure what all they replaced/reworked but I have a feeling it was the seal directly above the driver window. I say this because the car came back with that seal installed poorly and misaligned to the rear door.

They also forgot to install the frunk covers under the hood which I assume they removed for the HVJB recall.

Bringing it back tomorrow, oi

OP
OP

Steven z

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gt
Country flag
I am having the same issue! Just picked up a 22 premium AWD last week. At first i thought the window was open a crack. It is like a whurring noise on the driver side (like what you would hear on a windy day). Literally posted the same thing on reddit last night. Anything above 40mph.

Someone had mention that if you put the mirror facing inward the noise will stop. Will test later this evening.
Tried that, didn't work.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Ford kindly scheduled me an appointment with my dealer and also scheduled a rental for me. I asked to check the wind noise and also had another, more pressing issue that needed fixing. For better or for worse, nothing was done about the wind noise. They checked it and the technician said that nothing was wrong. They asked me if this was my first electric vehicle, and despite my telling them that it's my third, they still went with the EV excuse: that the lack of engine noise means wind noise is more prominent. Which is probably true in general, but as I said... this isn't my first electric vehicle, and despite driving the same commute, the wind noise never stuck out at me on those other vehicles. I regularly swap during the week (wife gets the Mach-E when she wants it) so I'm not just going off of memory, either; I get to do day to day comparisons. It's not like road noise is greater in the other vehicles and leaves wind noise for the Mach-E. The wind noise is legitimately more noticeable, and at slower speeds. I assume it's either a manufacturing or design issue with the Mach-E at this point... at least, those with glass roofs.

It's not an issue I'd be selling the car over. I can live with it. I don't hope for a need to replace the glass on the roof but it sounds like that may be the only way to get it resolved.

EVnewbie3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I have a 22 ER premium as well, just picked it up last week. Definitely notice some wind noise at 40+mph above driver side coming from the roof but canā€™t tell if thatā€™s normal or not. I wonder if the same TSB fix they had for ā€˜21s can be applied

Last edited:

jakeguy99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Brought to the dealership this week. Two hours later they said that it was due to faulty/bad fit weather stripping on the driver door. Since its only driver side I am wondering if it was a part shortage issue.

They noted Ford was aware of the issue and has the weather strips (on backorder). So few week wait to see if it fixes the issue, should only take an hour to install.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Brought to the dealership this week. Two hours later they said that it was due to faulty/bad fit weather stripping on the driver door. Since its only driver side I am wondering if it was a part shortage issue.

They noted Ford was aware of the issue and has the weather strips (on backorder). So few week wait to see if it fixes the issue, should only take an hour to install.
Could you take a picture so others can know what to look for? Look for parts sticking out or gaps. Compare to the passenger side.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I have a 22 ER premium as well, just picked it up last week. Definitely notice some wind noise at 40+mph above driver side coming from the roof but canā€™t tell if thatā€™s normal or not. I wonder if the same TSB fix they had for ā€˜21s can be applied
Your dealer can still apply the TSB, mine did even though it was outside the build date.

Did a little to help, but my wind noise is still horrible.

I brought it in for the 10k service and they think it is coming from the windshield. They said they'd be willing to help me out and reseat the windshield, if I wanted them to, but that's not something they'd usually do under warranty for wind noise, so I would probably be on the hook if it got damaged in the process and needed to be replaced.

I still think I hear it above my drive and rear driver doors. They said even with the rear driver door having a larger than normal panel gap and my tail gate also having a large gap on one side, that the weather stripping all still seems to be making contact and working as intended...

The service director even admitted it is loud and annoying as all hell, but isn't sure what else they can do, apart from trying to reseat the windshield and redoing all the weather stripping lol.
Sponsored