Windshield chips galore

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I‘ve had my car for a little over 2 months and driven almost 4000 miles. I drive mostly all highway. I noticed the other day I had a tiny rock chip on the windshield. I bought a Rain-x kit from Amazon that I had good luck with in the past to fill it just in case it got worse. I filled it today and realized I had about 20 little rock chips in my windshield!
Has anyone else noticed rock chips in their windshield? Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Or am I just going to have to check it every month or so and fill them?
I’m totally freaked out that I’m going to have to get a new windshield and then I’ll have to file it under insurance since it’s so expensive. Then my rates will go up even though it doesn’t “cost” anything to file it in FL.
I just got my first window chip so I'm going to talk to my detail guy about this exact thing. I'll post here if there's something he does for it.

My dad told me about this treatment where you put a suction cup over the chip (which creates a vacuum) then you put some sort of a clear gel into the chip and smooth it out. It won't prevent chips from happening, but it will basically make your window look new again. He even said insurance will often pay for it because it's cheaper to fix a chip than have it propagate into a crack and have to replace your whole windshield.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Coming from Arizona it’s pretty common to replace your windshield every couple years. I don’t think anyone in the state doesn’t have glass coverage. You can generally make 100 bucks cash from most of the vendors.

Our windshields are generally pitted after 3 to 6 months. I have actually cracked them on purpose to get them replaced because the pitting is rough at night but it’s not a replacement concern so you need a crack so you give it a lil tap with the glass breaker….

Jes sayin. Every day occurrence in the desert here
I also live in AZ, since the recall in February, where they actually had to replace the windshield because they broke it, I now have three chips in it, basically averaging one per month. I have two other cars with chips in them, the other one is clean so far.

Tire damage is another big issue here as well. With my truck, I actually have had one puncture that had a screw driver embedded in it, and another one that had a pair of pliers stuck in it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I just got my first window chip so I'm going to talk to my detail guy about this exact thing. I'll post here if there's something he does for it.

My dad told me about this treatment where you put a suction cup over the chip (which creates a vacuum) then you put some sort of a clear gel into the chip and smooth it out. It won't prevent chips from happening, but it will basically make your window look new again. He even said insurance will often pay for it because it's cheaper to fix a chip than have it propagate into a crack and have to replace your whole windshield.
Don't talk to your detail guy, talk to your insurance company. They'll likely recommend chip repair and pay for it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Chips (after repair) look better but definitely not “like new.” You can get away with this type of repair as long as it’s not in your line of sight.

The internet is full of before and after photos. It’s why I went with a full windshield replacement.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
OK, so I spoke to my detail guy about this. He basically suggested what RickMachE said and get your insurance company to do chip repair for free.

I did ask about PPFing the windshield, and while that can be done, he doesn't recommend it for a couple reasons:
  • It's way more expensive than regular PPF
  • If you attempt to use your windshield wipers while there is no rain, it'll scratch up the PPF essentially rendering it useless.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Oh no. This worries me. The last Ford I owned was a 2000 Ford Explorer and suffered the same problem, frequent windshield chipping. I've owned several cars since the Explorer and absolutely none of them had that problem. This is making me think this is a general Ford quality issue where perhaps they do not use higher quality glass for their windshield.

I am expecting to finally get my MME later this month and am not happy to hear about this problem. What can we do?
I've had my Mach-E for over a year and my windshield has been fine. Thought I'd clear that up.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
I've had my Mach-E for over a year and my windshield has been fine. Thought I'd clear that up.
Same for us, 18 months and no chips. My old Tesla model 3 chipped three days in - I highly recommend diy chip repair kits.
Sponsored

Last edited: