Windshield chips galore

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I’m with Progressive and filed a claim for a cracked windshield 4.5 years ago on my Subaru Outback. There was no deductible. I thought what a great deal! The next 6 month premium went up by $200 because I filed a claim under $1000. Its been the same every time I’ve renewed. The $280 windshield has cost me $1000 in additional insurance premiums.

I don’t know if this is policy for all insurance or just progressive. They are still the cheapest around.
Insurance companies know how to get their money back! State Farm paid for a new roof on our house due to hail damage and the following year they doubled our Premium! I said bye bye to State Farm for homeowners Insurance!!
Sponsored

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
That’s weird. I’ve got USAA and glass claims are covered under my comprehensive policy, and have never caused my rates to go up. However, they don’t offer a separate glass replacement option here in Colorado (probably because of what I mentioned in my previous post).
Same here. Nationwide insurance. Glass replacement is included in comprehensive plan. I’m in NC. In fact, had windshield replaced about 3 months ago ( large pickup truck launched a rock at it) $0 to replace, no premium change. Maybe differs by state and companies?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
AMICA doesn’t look like it will cover my 1984 F350. Even without my F350 with the same coverages for the other vehicles it would be about $300 more per month paid in full. USAA doesn’t apply to me and Erie isn’t in FL.
Just to be clear, you're saying AMICA would cost you $3,600 more, PER YEAR, than Progressive? For the same coverage? If correct, that's mindblowing.

As to the 1984 F350, that's a 38 year old truck. They won't even cover liability?

FYI, AMICA provides an annual dividend of 20%, but that won't narrow this difference.

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Just to be clear, you're saying AMICA would cost you $3,600 more, PER YEAR, than Progressive? For the same coverage? If correct, that's mindblowing.

As to the 1984 F350, that's a 38 year old truck. They won't even cover liability?

FYI, AMICA provides an annual dividend of 20%, but that won't narrow this difference.
AMICA would be about $3600 every 6 months vs about $1700 for Progressive, including the truck. Progressive may be cheap insurance, but at close to $4k yearly savings I guess I’ll just accept that the windshield replacement 4 yrs ago cost me $1000 in premiums.

My truck and I are almost the same age! She’s old, kinda beat up, prefers side streets over the highway and decided she didn’t want AC a few years back. I only have liability since she cost me less than $2k. She’s a great farm truck and having a diesel dually is always great for that random Lowes trip or whatever.

E4EC9968-5698-43C2-BDF4-029664F6CC3F.jpeg

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
AMICA would be about $3600 every 6 months vs about $1700 for Progressive, including the truck. Progressive may be cheap insurance, but at close to $4k yearly savings I guess I’ll just accept that the windshield replacement 4 yrs ago cost me $1000 in premiums.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Windshield chips galore E4EC9968-5698-43C2-BDF4-029664F6CC3F
Wow, that’s crazy expensive!! What in the world? 😳 I don’t blame you. I would have went with the cheaper option and opened a separate banking account for my own personal financed car insurance to fix things like windshield replacement or small dings. 😊

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
AMICA's $3,600, less 20% dividend, would be $2,800. Still more expensive.

Don't know what's driving that.

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Wow, that’s crazy expensive!! What in the world? 😳 I don’t blame you. I would have went with the cheaper option and opened a separate banking account for my own personal financed car insurance to fix things like windshield replacement or small dings. 😊
I have no idea. Clean driving record , good credit, no tickets. My only thought is I have 4 cars on my policy and the other 3 are old and not worth anything so I only have liability on those. Maybe the “non cheap” insurance companies base it off how expensive your cars are. I replaced my windshield on my Subaru 3 times and the last 2 times I just paid for it. It was only about $300. This windshield is much more expensive. It’s one of the reasons I’m trying to be so careful with even tiny rock chips.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I have no idea. Clean driving record , good credit, no tickets. My only thought is I have 4 cars on my policy and the other 3 are old and not worth anything so I only have liability on those. Maybe the “non cheap” insurance companies base it off how expensive your cars are. I replaced my windshield on my Subaru 3 times and the last 2 times I just paid for it. It was only about $300. This windshield is much more expensive. It’s one of the reasons I’m trying to be so careful with even tiny rock chips.
Maybe it’s your location? Maybe you can get by with not replacing It for a while.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've been driving for 30 years, 6 of those years I moved every 3 months and traveled across the US. I've had ONE windshield that had damage done to it, oddly enough it was also a Ford and happened during a freak hail storm at the Grand Canyon. Outside of that I've never had a cracked windshield, well till I got a huge crack in my MME a few months back.

Could it be bad luck, I guess, but I'm going to side with everyone else reporting cracked windshields and agree the MME's windshield is not very durable.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I now have another crack in my windshield that happened tonight on the way home... Ford... You really need to double check the quality of your windshields...

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
Never had a windshield chip but I got a chip within the first month of having the car. Nearly had a heart attack. The crack started spreading on the first day so I bought a windshield repair kit (rainx brand) and went for it myself since I didn't want to wait any longer. I was surprised it actually got rid of the crack and you can't see anything now but I agree that this windshield seems to be really brittle for some reason, just glad the repair kit worked so well, I thought I was going to have to replace the windshield.

Side note my gtpe also came with the driver's window glass scratched from the factory... Glass on this car seems softer overall

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Since I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I'll just say I've had GEICO insurance for decades across three or four states and they're great. Their prices are reasonable and their glass coverage is quite good. Replacing broken windows is only $50 and they don't raise your rates - at least not in California. But insurance is regulated on a state by state basis and the regs can vary a lot, so I have no idea the extent to which my experience might apply to Florida. Good luck!

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Never had a windshield chip but I got a chip within the first month of having the car. Nearly had a heart attack. The crack started spreading on the first day so I bought a windshield repair kit (rainx brand) and went for it myself since I didn't want to wait any longer. I was surprised it actually got rid of the crack and you can't see anything now but I agree that this windshield seems to be really brittle for some reason, just glad the repair kit worked so well, I thought I was going to have to replace the windshield.

Side note my gtpe also came with the driver's window glass scratched from the factory... Glass on this car seems softer overall

Last week I got a fairly significant chip from what sounded like a lite glancing blow. Only traveling approx 40mph and a good 5 cars behind truck in front of me. I immediately called to get it repaired and the next day headed out to do so only to see the chip now being a 8” crack. As I inspected the windshield I noticed at least a dozen or so pits. This on a car with 6500 miles and rarely sees a highway. Im concerned about the quality of these windshields for sure!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
AMICA doesn’t look like it will cover my 1984 F350. Even without my F350 with the same coverages for the other vehicles it would be about $300 more per month paid in full. USAA doesn’t apply to me and Erie isn’t in FL.
Try Haggerty. Sounds your F350 is a Classic Car to me. I pay $300 to cover my 2002 Honda CR-V.

xcmtbrcr

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco22, jag pace19, Jeep GC 20
There are products like ppf for windshields. I have used dynoflex by S Tek on a new bronco. Have friends that use it on Teslas. I self installed but have some experience but any window tinted should be able to install. Around $300 for material and most installers would do for about $6-700.
Sponsored