Windshield chips galore

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My guess is there is only 1 thing that could go wrong with it: it wouldn’t open.

Not sure how many other features your frunk release does, but mine only has the one: “releases frunk.”
Then yours has one more feature than mine does. And since @0CO2 said that they're getting BlueCruise installed, I assume they have a Job 1 car. So I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is with their electronic frunk release.
Sponsored

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
I‘ve had my car for a little over 2 months and driven almost 4000 miles. I drive mostly all highway. I noticed the other day I had a tiny rock chip on the windshield. I bought a Rain-x kit from Amazon that I had good luck with in the past to fill it just in case it got worse. I filled it today and realized I had about 20 little rock chips in my windshield!
Has anyone else noticed rock chips in their windshield? Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Or am I just going to have to check it every month or so and fill them?
I’m totally freaked out that I’m going to have to get a new windshield and then I’ll have to file it under insurance since it’s so expensive. Then my rates will go up even though it doesn’t “cost” anything to file it in FL.
Oh no. This worries me. The last Ford I owned was a 2000 Ford Explorer and suffered the same problem, frequent windshield chipping. I've owned several cars since the Explorer and absolutely none of them had that problem. This is making me think this is a general Ford quality issue where perhaps they do not use higher quality glass for their windshield.

I am expecting to finally get my MME later this month and am not happy to hear about this problem. What can we do?

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I got a small rock chip in the passenger side lower corner and within 12 hours I had a 10-inch crack emanating up from it. Going in for replacement early May.

0CO2

First Name
0CO2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Occupation
Academic
Country flag
Then yours has one more feature than mine does. And since @0CO2 said that they're getting BlueCruise installed, I assume they have a Job 1 car. So I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is with their electronic frunk release.
Dealer indicated they traced a short that prevented the electronic release (the button inside the frunk) from actuating. That has to work for the frunk release software update us Job 1 folks are waiting for to work...

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Dealer indicated they traced a short that prevented the electronic release (the button inside the frunk) from actuating. That has to work for the frunk release software update us Job 1 folks are waiting for to work...
The electronic release (the button inside the frunk) doesn't currently work on any Job 1 car. I think your dealer is chasing their tail.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Coming from Arizona it’s pretty common to replace your windshield every couple years. I don’t think anyone in the state doesn’t have glass coverage. You can generally make 100 bucks cash from most of the vendors.

Our windshields are generally pitted after 3 to 6 months. I have actually cracked them on purpose to get them replaced because the pitting is rough at night but it’s not a replacement concern so you need a crack so you give it a lil tap with the glass breaker….

Jes sayin. Every day occurrence in the desert here

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I can't find the info now, but I have seen some studies that suggest that acoustic glass is actually a bit more fragile compared to the more traditional counterparts.
The problem with chips on this car is dependent upon:

Road conditions. What's on the road and nearby.
What you're following or have blowing by you in the adjacent lane(s) (either direction).
Car aerodynamics.

There's not a lot we can do about either of the first two and nothing we can do about #3.

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Insurance companies fill chips for free.

Glass replacement generally doesn't impact rates.
I’m with Progressive and filed a claim for a cracked windshield 4.5 years ago on my Subaru Outback. There was no deductible. I thought what a great deal! The next 6 month premium went up by $200 because I filed a claim under $1000. Its been the same every time I’ve renewed. The $280 windshield has cost me $1000 in additional insurance premiums.

I don’t know if this is policy for all insurance or just progressive. They are still the cheapest around.

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this... living here in Colorado, the rock chip problem is insane. I've had my Escape's windshield replaced 3 times since 2014. USAA once told me that the average lifespan of a windshield in CO is 18 months!

Chips/pits are annoying but don't require repair.
Starbursts/impact cracks can be repaired and will last a long time provided they're not huge or in your direct line of vision.
Cracks longer than a dollar bill require a windshield replacement.
This is good to know. They are just tiny chips. This is by far the nicest car I’ve ever owned, so I could just be more aware. I owned my Subaru Outback for 5 years, replaced the windshield 3 times and repairs a crack the last time. I drive a lot of highway that’s a heavy truck route so that’s probably part of it.

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Oh no!! I’m sorry to hear that. Maybe dealership should take a look? Is that normal?
The chips are really pretty small. I feel like if I took it to a dealer they’d just roll their eyes and laugh. I sometimes wish I could bubble wrap the car! 😂

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Cheap insurance is exactly what the name suggests. Try a top rated company. AMICA, USAA, Erie Insurance. Top service. Not cheapest.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I‘ve had my car for a little over 2 months and driven almost 4000 miles. I drive mostly all highway. I noticed the other day I had a tiny rock chip on the windshield. I bought a Rain-x kit from Amazon that I had good luck with in the past to fill it just in case it got worse. I filled it today and realized I had about 20 little rock chips in my windshield!
Has anyone else noticed rock chips in their windshield? Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Or am I just going to have to check it every month or so and fill them?
I’m totally freaked out that I’m going to have to get a new windshield and then I’ll have to file it under insurance since it’s so expensive. Then my rates will go up even though it doesn’t “cost” anything to file it in FL.
I have a dime size chip, and a separate chip with a 4” crack. 🤦‍♂️ Just last week something large flew up and smacked my windshield quite loudly. Thought for sure I’d have a rather large mark but it left no damage. I swear it’s a rock magnet!

OP
OP
FLmac

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Cheap insurance is exactly what the name suggests. Try a top rated company. AMICA, USAA, Erie Insurance. Top service. Not cheapest.
AMICA doesn’t look like it will cover my 1984 F350. Even without my F350 with the same coverages for the other vehicles it would be about $300 more per month paid in full. USAA doesn’t apply to me and Erie isn’t in FL.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
AMICA doesn’t look like it will cover my 1984 F350. Even without my F350 with the same coverages for the other vehicles it would be about $300 more per month paid in full. USAA doesn’t apply to me and Erie isn’t in FL.
I think you are smart enough to pick the insurance company that fits your needs. 🙄 We here don’t know your circumstances, you do what’s best for you.

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
I’m with Progressive and filed a claim for a cracked windshield 4.5 years ago on my Subaru Outback. There was no deductible. I thought what a great deal! The next 6 month premium went up by $200 because I filed a claim under $1000. Its been the same every time I’ve renewed. The $280 windshield has cost me $1000 in additional insurance premiums.

I don’t know if this is policy for all insurance or just progressive. They are still the cheapest around.
That’s weird. I’ve got USAA and glass claims are covered under my comprehensive policy, and have never caused my rates to go up. However, they don’t offer a separate glass replacement option here in Colorado (probably because of what I mentioned in my previous post).
Sponsored