John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD Ext Range Infinite Blue 3/3/2021
Occupation
TV
Country flag
If you are headed to LA check out Galpin and Sunrise Ford. I think they are among the largest dealers in the city and I feel like if any of them will be able to immediately deal with this, it will be them.
Thanks. Great advice.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
John_C

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV
Country flag
I had to replace my windshield in San Jose, called the dealership and just decided to go through insurance (safelite). Took them 10 days to get the part and 2 hours to install and recalibrate. Really not a big deal at all..

No manufacturers do their own glad works it's always contracted out, and on a brand new vehicle model spare parts are going to be a little harder to get hence the wait.
Thanks. I appreciate it. All roads seem to be pointing back to Safelite, and we got a DM from them this morning on Twitter. So I think we're off to a better start today with them. I think your point about it being a new vehicle is exactly right ...

OP
OP
John_C

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV
Country flag
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/this-hurt.5894/

I had this exact same problem at the beginning of May. I was afraid it would take forever to get it fixed since the part was not in, but it took 6 days total from crack to repair.

First if you have USAA go through them and pay your comprehensible deductible if it’s less than $1200. I submitted a claim through them which led me to SafeLite. I wasn’t feeling using them at first so I contacted my local Ford. They said the same thing that they put source their window repairs and it would take two weeks to get the windshield. I decided to just use SafeLite and USAA.

I selected the SafeLite in Sun Valley, CA. They didn’t have the part in but they were able to get a replacement windshield in within 4 days of placing the order. They then allowed me to move up my appointment to get it repaired two days earlier if I just dropped my car off. Overall I was happy using USAA and SafeLite. Good luck with this as I know it’s frustrating.
Thanks--- this is the best answer I've received, especially since it involves USAA and SafeLite. That's exactly my situation. I think the thing that was a little frustrating is that I didn't get a good telephone agent on my very first SafeLite Solutions call yesterday. So never having dealt with them I didn't feel they were that helpful. But SafeLite DM'd us this morning on Twitter after we posted the issue there and it seems we're on a better path with them today.

Thanks again. If I could get this taken care of in the same time frame as yours I'd be very happy.

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
I'm in the same boat. I called ahead to both my insurance company and Safelite to make sure they would have the correct part before I showed up for my appointment. The MME was mis-identified in the online claim somehow. They assured me the VIN of my vehicle would ensure that the correct part would be there for my appointment. I bumped the appointment out a week to make sure they had time to receive the part (my original appointment scheduled online was for the next day).

I sat in their shop for an hour before they told me they didn't have the part. They said it would be 3-5 days to get the replacement windshield in and they would call me. No call yet and its been 6 days. I have a friend that runs the shop there but I am trying to be patient and not pushy.

I fully expected this would be a pain and it is but not the end of the world. Happy to hear that some folks are seeing replacements in less time than expected. Hoping this doesn't drag out for months.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Unfortunately it's illegal in California to drive with any kind of a crack in your windshield -- front or back. It's a citation at a minimum. I don't really want that on my driving record ...
Haha, that's hilarious... I see so many cracked windshields everyday... the roads in California are so bad.

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
Thanks--- this is the best answer I've received, especially since it involves USAA and SafeLite. That's exactly my situation. I think the thing that was a little frustrating is that I didn't get a good telephone agent on my very first SafeLite Solutions call yesterday. So never having dealt with them I didn't feel they were that helpful. But SafeLite DM'd us this morning on Twitter after we posted the issue there and it seems we're on a better path with them today.

Thanks again. If I could get this taken care of in the same time frame as yours I'd be very happy.
No problem. Yeah I was in the same boat with communication. I kept telling them this isn’t a common part and how will I know they ordered it. I made frequent calls until I got the right agent to help. I also noticed the USAA agents that deal with this were more helpful than calling SafeLite directly. I also called each day to get an update of where the part was while being delivered. I was skeptical of the whole process tbh but the end result quelled my concerns. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you.

OP
OP
John_C

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV
Country flag
Hi everyone and thanks to all of you -- especially @KCole21 and @Grux40-- for your responses. I'm happy (?) to report that I appear to be on a track with SafeLite now. A SafeLite rep called yesterday to say the new windshield is on order and will be ready in 10 days. I'm scheduled to have it replaced in one of my local SafeLite shops. Hope to have this wrapped up in the next couple of weeks.

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Let me just say, Safelite SUCKS! at least the one near me. 2014 Cadillac CTS needed new windshield after a failed repair attempt by Safelite. Whatever, stuff happens. Turns out to add insult to injury and self-stupidity, I failed to select full glass coverage when I renewed my insurance policy and had a $500 deductible now on the windshield replacement! But the actual headache started when they had to "retrain" the lane departure camera. WOW! They tried 4 different times but could not get it done. They suggested I have my Cadillac Dealer do it. The dealer wanted no part in it and said it's Satellite's responsibility and the cause was they didn't replace with OEM GM Glass. I convinced Safelite to order a new windshield from GM and they did. It came in and the nobs that hold the camera were not straight so they had to order ANOTHER windshield. Programming did not work after all that. I ended up having to travel to a different Cadillac Dealer who had a tech with a laptop and he said it was so easy to recalibrate...with the right software!. Be ready for that part when it comes time to replace windshields that have cameras behind them.

OP
OP
John_C

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV
Country flag
Let me just say, Safelite SUCKS! at least the one near me. 2014 Cadillac CTS needed new windshield after a failed repair attempt by Safelite. Whatever, stuff happens. Turns out to add insult to injury and self-stupidity, I failed to select full glass coverage when I renewed my insurance policy and had a $500 deductible now on the windshield replacement! But the actual headache started when they had to "retrain" the lane departure camera. WOW! They tried 4 different times but could not get it done. They suggested I have my Cadillac Dealer do it. The dealer wanted no part in it and said it's Satellite's responsibility and the cause was they didn't replace with OEM GM Glass. I convinced Safelite to order a new windshield from GM and they did. It came in and the nobs that hold the camera were not straight so they had to order ANOTHER windshield. Programming did not work after all that. I ended up having to travel to a different Cadillac Dealer who had a tech with a laptop and he said it was so easy to recalibrate...with the right software!. Be ready for that part when it comes time to replace windshields that have cameras behind them.
Ouch. That's awful. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure and check to see it's Ford OEM glass. That's my biggest fear.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Safelite normally can seal the crack if it can be covered by a dollar bill. If it is longer, you have to replace.

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
Mu Fusion and my Edge got rocked within 2 months of each other in '18... Safelite was great in both cases working directly with Geico

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Ouch. That's awful. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure and check to see it's Ford OEM glass. That's my biggest fear.
In the end, I don't think the brand of glass made a difference. Most definitely the recalibration of the camera needed to be done by a Cadillac dealer but my dealer was not wanting to help us out. Needless to say I no longer have a Cadillac and I will never buy or do business with that dealership again. But moral of the story, The camera systems cause extra headaches

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
Yep, after a windshield replacement on my previous Volvo, it wanted to drive on the road shoulder on Pilot Assist. Needed to go back and have the camera re-aligned.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
The best get around for issues with calibration is the take it to one of your insurance recommend body shops or take to your local Ford dealership and have them sublet the windsheild repair and they will have to have the calibration done before returning it to you.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why are these windshields cracking so easily?
Sponsored