Would this help folks to understand real Range based on Mi/kWh and battery % and not solely rely on the GOM?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Just a little tool I worked up. I know some folks are not numbers people. I use Siri a lot and ask "hey Siri what's point 55 times 88 times 2.5"....

To clarify, I meant more for the new Mach E owner with little or no EV experience and for reference during those few first months of ownership when the GOM is a little wonky.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Would this help folks to understand real Range based on Mi/kWh and battery % and not solely rely on the GOM? Mach E Range based on trip meter
Sponsored

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Just a little tool I worked up. I know some folks are not numbers people. I use Siri a lot and ask "hey Siri what's point 55 times 88 times 2.5"....

Mach E Range based on trip meter.jpg
I made a sheet like this too. I find it interesting.

I added another section on mine that has 4 cells, battery starting %, battery ending %, miles driven and miles per kWh. Fill in any three values and the sheet will calculate the missing forth value. (It has another cell where you designate the useable battery capacity.)

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Would this help folks to understand real Range based on Mi/kWh and battery % and not solely rely on the GOM? Mach E Range based on trip meter
Just saved it to the cloud so I can reference it on an upcoming spring road trip....thanks !

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
While I am a big fan of spreadsheets, I tend to use them to determine the LCD. I do like the Siri approach, simple and as accurate as you can get for instantaneous range estimation.

My approach to the GOM evolved over 3 years of driving a Volt. Unlike the MME, the Volt had an optimistic GOM, by roughly 10%. And that was constant season to season, only the range at full charge varied (high 70s to high 50s). Over time I knew if the GOM read less than 37, I would not complete the 32 mi. commute to the Chargepoint at work without firing up the range extender ICE.

Only have 2 months under my belt collecting data on the MME. So the sample size yields inconclusive results. In November I went 1.3 real Mi. for every GOM Mi., December metric is .96 Mi., believe it or not. With a variance like that I may give up on hoping to find a constant conversion factor for MME GOM Mis. to real Mis..

The upside is that with the type of driving I do now and with up to 88 kWh in reserve it doesn't much matter. I'll save the mental calisthenics for preserving gray matter.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts, btw.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My GOM is pretty damn accurate! No need for a spread sheet here.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have found with over 25k miles of history that my range doesn't really change that much. Winter range and Road trip range are about the same (2.5 miles per 1% or 25 miles per 10% or 250 miles per 100%)

The other 9 months of the year is very consistent. 3 miles per 1% or 30 miles per 10% or 300 miles per full charge. Pretty simple. So I just take my percent figure and multiply x3 and that is my remaining range.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I've never based my driving strategies on the "miles to empty" GoM on my ICE car, which now days is conservative as well by the 2 gallons hidden from the fuel gauge. I've always started looking to make a petrol stop starting at 1/4 of a tank. I get that the 25% range of a BeV is maybe 2/3 of a decent mileage ICE, but at the end of the day its MPK that matters and let the charging station stops fall where they may.

Seems like the 80/20, or 80/15 range is most relevant as it'll determine the fast charge strategy on a long trip. Between home and work (20 mi one way) the GoM is irrelevant for me.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah people do this:

• Google for Mach-E info
  • Find this site
  • Post "I'm not getting the miles I'm supposed to" as their very first post
Note that they don't do a search, they don't even look at the sticky's.

The admins should just make the system automatically create a "I'm not seeing range" post when you create an account.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I’d do a multivariate regression analysis using average speed, battery %, miles/KWh and.. outside temperature.
Sponsored