Yes, even ICE drivers are clueless about winter MPG

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I hid the models to protect the innocent:

I've looked to if anyone has posted something like this but was unable to find it.

I have a XXXXXX. During the summer I get about 20-21 MPG. Probably get better if I wasn't such a leadfoot. But when winter hits and I have to turn on the heat the MPG drops to around 17mpg. Has anyone else experienced this and know what the problem could be. It also happened to a XXXXX I had. Winter weather when running the heat seems to drag down the MPG.

Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was guilty as a younger man. My truck MPGs went down by 25% and I was sure it was because something was wrong / needed a tune up. That was when I learned about winter blend gas and a few other things.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Just goes to show that the average driver (i.e. the 99%) are not aware of these factors so it shouldn't be unexpected when these types of posts are made. Rather than react with astonishment and belittlement, we can embrace and teach.

Perhaps even create a BIG BOLD STICKY titled "DECREASED COLD WEATHER RANGE FAQ" at the top of the General Topics page

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
Just goes to show that the average driver (i.e. the 99%) are not aware of these factors so it shouldn't be unexpected when these types of posts are made. Rather than react with astonishment and belittlement, we can embrace and teach.

Perhaps even create a BIG BOLD STICKY titled "DECREASED COLD WEATHER RANGE FAQ" at the top of the General Topics page
You're right, it just gets old re-explaining the same thing when that fact is posted everywhere and is in headlines about EVs yet people do so little research before buying a car that they're still shocked by it happening.

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The mindset of ICE vs Ev driver is very different, if i have 10 miles of range left i can find a gas station anywhere, could care less about range, efficiency etc., but an Ev you notice things alot more.

Our other car is a Prius C Hybrid, Iā€™m in a group on FB and yes people do post why is mpg lower, or range lower questions. Mine gets like 50mpg in summer and 30ā€˜S in winter. So i knew this coming in this car.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I hid the models to protect the innocent:

I've looked to if anyone has posted something like this but was unable to find it.

I have a XXXXXX. During the summer I get about 20-21 MPG. Probably get better if I wasn't such a leadfoot. But when winter hits and I have to turn on the heat the MPG drops to around 17mpg. Has anyone else experienced this and know what the problem could be. It also happened to a XXXXX I had. Winter weather when running the heat seems to drag down the MPG.

Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.
OMG Rick!!!!!111 They gave him the wrong engine! :p

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Maybe it's just me but it seems like there are less of the winter range posts this year than last year.

Winter range or even range impacts in general seems to hit home pretty quickly to EV drivers... yet a complete mystery in the ICE world... I didn't give it much thought till I bought the MME.

Speed
Wheel size
Wheel aero covers
Temperature
Terrain
Trailers
Regenerative braking
... all mysteries

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Maybe it's just me but it seems like there are less of the winter range posts this year than last year.

Winter range or even range impacts in general seems to hit home pretty quickly to EV drivers... yet a complete mystery in the ICE world... I didn't give it much thought till I bought the MME.

Speed
Wheel size
Wheel aero covers
Temperature
Terrain
Trailers
Regenerative braking
... all mysteries
Wait till the freeze warnings go up for weeks in January!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Wait till the freeze warnings go up for weeks in January!
ahhhh yes. all my cars since 2001 have had that. It somehow causes so many angst.... not as much angst as the GOM... but angst none the less :)

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After a short 50 mile trip in the MME today at -20 temperatures I can say my ice vehicle has a heater that keeps me warm!! Not so the MME.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
After a short 50 mile trip in the MME today at -20 temperatures I can say my ice vehicle has a heater that keeps me warm!! Not so the MME.
Thatā€™s something you should probably have investigated. Mine keeps plenty warm even in those temps, or the one I had last winter did. I havenā€™t hit that cold yet with the GT.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
They should have read the manual. Page 34. šŸ˜…

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
The range (actual range, no GOM) of my 2006 Prius would vary from 350-600 miles between winter and summer. Most miles on a 45 mile each way commute, baltimore to DC. Tended to keep the heat off until the ICE was good and warm in the winter. Speed in the 50-60 mph range.

In the summer, I got 54 to (rarely)60 mpg, with a tank capacity of 10.5 gallons (11 if I really pushed it). Life was good.

In the winter, I got around 46-48 mpg, so around a 15% diff. So why such a range difference? My generation of Prius had the collapsing bag in the gas tank, which was less flexible in cold and literally around 2-2.5 gallons smaller in the winter. So winter battery shrinkage is like an old friend to me!

That Prius was an amazing car, almost no non-routine maintenance for the first 260k miles. But I donā€™t think I could go back after living with the buckets of torque from my MME (premium 4X).
Sponsored