Zeus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Electronics
Country flag
We have a 2022 premium Mach e. While the car is great the charger it came with does not seem to cooperate.

1st original charger has already been replaced once due to amber light coming on. Overheating

looking outside it looks like our box has a 45 amp breaker, charger is inside garage on a 6 month new built house.

the new charger has already started giving us an amber light again while charging. Some times it does it real quick, sometimes it could take hours. The charging is still giving us at least 20 miles per hour when the amber light is coming on so it does not seem to affect the charging that much. Our main concern is our safety as we do not want the overheating amber warning to cause electrical issues or worst case fires.

Again we have only charged with the OEM that came with the car. Should we just consider another charger since it seems Ford cannot help us with this problem anymore ?

IMG_3510.jpeg

IMG_3430.png

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
We have a 2022 premium Mach e. While the car is great the charger it came with does not seem to cooperate.

1st original charger has already been replaced once due to amber light coming on. Overheating

looking outside it looks like our box has a 45 amp breaker, charger is inside garage on a 6 month new built house.

the new charger has already started giving us an amber light again while charging. Some times it does it real quick, sometimes it could take hours. The charging is still giving us at least 20 miles per hour when the amber light is coming on so it does not seem to affect the charging that much. Our main concern is our safety as we do not want the overheating amber warning to cause electrical issues or worst case fires.

Again we have only charged with the OEM that came with the car. Should we just consider another charger since it seems Ford cannot help us with this problem anymore ?

IMG_3510.jpeg

IMG_3430.png
I keep the Ford charger stowed in the vehicle at all times. I recommend getting an aftermarket Grizzl-E charger, which can be run at 32 amps off your 45 amp circuit. Have had great success with this setup.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger (FMC) is known to have overheating issues. You will have far fewer headaches with a quality aftermarket L2 EVSE. 😊🐩

OP
OP
First Name
Zeus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Electronics
Country flag
I keep the Ford charger stowed in the vehicle at all times. I recommend getting an aftermarket Grizzl-E charger, which can be run at 32 amps off your 45 amp circuit. Have had great success with this setup.
can you still monitor Charging while using the ford pass app with this model ??

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
agree with others to invest in a dedicated charger.

however, if the problem is in your wiring or outlet you'll still have issues. unless you're handy with electrical issues it's best to get a qualified electrician to check out the entire circuit path and while they're doing it ask what it would take to either upgrade to a 50A circuit and/or hardwire any new option you might get.

also, if you're going to use the supplied mobile charger as a backup, it would be good to know if it is working correctly and if not get it replaced under warranty until you get one that does.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It’s likely another defective FMC, but the next time it shows amber, see how hot the wall plug is. An overheated plug will trigger the amber light. The plug may be slightly warm, but not hot.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It’s likely another defective FMC, but the next time it shows amber, see how hot the wall plug is. An overheated plug will trigger the amber light. The plug may be slightly warm, but not hot.
45A breaker is an odd size, must be 8 AWG THHN derated for 125ºF.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
45A breaker is an odd size, must be 8 AWG THHN derated for 125ºF.
It is odd, but nothing wrong with using a smaller breaker than the wire is capable of supporting as long as the breaker lugs accept that wire size. #6 would be fine In this case.

I heard electricians be asked “Why did you use that, it’s overkill?”….the answer is “It’s what I had on the truck.”
Sponsored