Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I gotta say the doom and gloom in this thread is depressing. No way Ford doesn’t figure this out or do a price adjustment. Especially if inventory starts to pile up. I think many on here were correct in saying the last price increase was mainly triggered by potential renewal of tax credits and not just increase in manufacturing costs.
Hyundai and Kia did not do any price adjustments….when they lost the credit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnny_golf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat, 2022 Mach-E CR1
Occupation
Software Developer (retired)
Country flag
For 2022, the car doesn't have to show up on a list. It just needs to be manufactured in North America.
Why is there a list then? It literally states manufacturer, model year, model, trim level, and the amount of the tax credit. It specifically shows 2021 and 2022 model years, but not 2023.

There are other manufacturers in that list that have vehicles with model year 2023 listed as qualifying. Why not Ford?

Probably just an error of omission, but I would rather see it listed there than not.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why is there a list then? It literally states manufacturer, model year, model, trim level, and the amount of the tax credit. It specifically shows 2021 and 2022 model years, but not 2023.

There are other manufacturers in that list that have vehicles with model year 2023 listed as qualifying. Why not Ford?

Probably just an error of omission, but I would rather see it listed there than not.
The list is there to be helpful, but just because a car isn’t on the list doesn’t mean it doesn’t qualify as long as it meets the requirements (which the 2023 does). The omission could be on Ford’s part or the IRS’s part, but there’s nothing in the 2022 tax law that would eliminate the 2023 MME from qualifying.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
They will pass it on. No customer - or dealer - is going to give some random leasing company a $7500 "gift" that it has not earned. Leasing companies that try to pocket the credit for themselves will get zero business from affected EV models. All such leases will be written by more honest, or at least realistic, leasing companies.

This is $7500 times a substantial number of affected EVs for a substantial period of years. Far too big a market opportunity to be wasted or overlooked.
My daughter leased a Kona 2 years ago. She had to travel 2 states away to find a dealer that was passing on the credit. The exact same car was $7500 more at other dealers. I don’t know if the dealers or the leasing companies (or some combination of both) were pocketing the money?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Just use the VIN decoder, which it offers to have you use on that page...

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
The list is there to be helpful, but just because a car isn’t on the list doesn’t mean it doesn’t qualify as long as it meets the requirements (which the 2023 does). The omission could be on Ford’s part or the IRS’s part, but there’s nothing in the 2022 tax law that would eliminate the 2023 MME from qualifying.
After digging into the text of both the Inflation Reduction Act and IRS Code 30D (EV tax credit), I believe generaltso is correct.

The law/tax code is not make, model or model-year specific, and (pre-2023) is not ambiguous with terms like “SUV.” The previous vehicle requirements were actually quite simple. The MME meets the code for tax credit for deliveries prior to 1/1/23. The model list provided on the IRS website is meant to be helpful but is actually irrelevant.

johnny_golf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat, 2022 Mach-E CR1
Occupation
Software Developer (retired)
Country flag
Just use the VIN decoder, which it offers to have you use on that page...
The VIN decoder just verifies that the vehicle, any vehicle, was manufactured in North America. It won't tell you that the vehicle meets all of the qualifications for the energy tax credit.

I entered the VIN from my 2018 F150 Lariat, and it says that it was manufactured in North America. It clearly doesn't qualify for the credit, though.

DonnieJ

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
U.S. Soldier
Country flag
Makes absolutely no sense that the Escape is classified as an SUV and the Mach-E isn't. They're basically the same size.
I get how everyone feels but it's definitely a car... no towling or off-roading capability whatsoever. So unfortunately there is nothing "suv" about this car unless having a practical trunk is the only category needed to be a crossover. But I still love it even though I cancelled my order for all of the obvious reasons that are currently making people second guess wondering if purchasing the car right now is financially responsible...... thanks ford!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Most dont/wont pass a discount to the customer.
Prior to Mach-E, Ford did in fact pass on the tax credit in leases.

We got a 2018 Fusion Energi PHEV from Ford. We leased it, because of higher rebates with leasing (Ford A-Plan) vs. buying, and the passing on of the tax credit in the lease (leasing was over $2,000 cheaper). The MSRP of the car was $37,390. A-Z Plan was $34,155.76. Rebates, which included the tax credit, were $11,007 (tax credit was $4,007), so the net price was $23,148.76.

Fun fact - after 3 years we bought the lease out, and sold the car to Carvana. Our net cost for the vehicle, including lease payments, was $27,465.04. Carvana paid $25,546, so our out of pocket cost for 3 years of driving was $1,919.04, i.e. roughly what sales tax would be. We thought this amazing, until we sold our 2021 Mach-E for a profit of thousands of dollars.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I get how everyone feels but it's definitely a car... no towling or off-roading capability whatsoever. So unfortunately there is nothing "suv" about this car unless having a practical trunk is the only category needed to be a crossover. But I still love it even though I cancelled my order for all of the obvious reasons that are currently making people second guess wondering if purchasing the car right now is financially responsible...... thanks ford!
The people that build it call it an SUV.

Not that it matters to the IRS apparently.

Hopefully they will revise these “lines“ to be phase outs rather than cutoffs.

The whole thing is stupid. Seems the law was designed to give out as few credits as possible.

DonnieJ

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
U.S. Soldier
Country flag
Surely Ford understands the implications of this classification and hopefully they will be lobbying hard to get it changed asap.

The electric small SUV segment is getting really crowded and really competitive heading into 2023. If they want the Mach-E to keep its strong market share, they absolutely need this tax credit.
But even the tax credit is only available for those who qualify which kind of makes it sort of a scam in the first place in my opinion..... you buy an ev that qualifies then you should get the credit no matter what you make or if it's listed as a a car or suv...ITS STILL AN EV so give us the damn credit for going green like you promised

DonnieJ

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
U.S. Soldier
Country flag
The people that build it call it an SUV.

Not that it matters to the IRS apparently.

Hopefully they will revise these “lines“ to be phase outs rather than cutoffs.

The whole thing is stupid. Seems the law was designed to give out as few credits as possible.
AGREE 1000%

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The VIN decoder just verifies that the vehicle, any vehicle, was manufactured in North America. It won't tell you that the vehicle meets all of the qualifications for the energy tax credit.
The qualifications for 2022 are quite simple. To qualify for the full tax credit, the car has to have a battery capacity for propulsion of at least 16kWh (reduced tax credit with lower capacity). And after 8/16/22, it also has to be manufactured in North America. That's it.

If anyone who bought a 2023 in 2022 doesn't apply for the tax credit because it's not on the list, fine. But you're leaving money on the table.

DonnieJ

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
U.S. Soldier
Country flag
Of course we can. It’s a forum. :p

Now, whether we should, and whether the comprehensive list, whenever that comes out, uniformly assigns similar vehicles to the same category is another story altogether.
It's a damn car guys come on and let it go lol. Ford knows that the "crossover suv" is the hottest way to market a vehicle in the U.S. but unless the car does atleast some things that an suv does besides having a practical trunk then it's just a car. So if you really want to know if our beloved maxh e is a "crossover suv" then ask your self these 2 questions lol

1. Can I tow ANYTHING?
2. Can I go off-road ANYWHERE?

If your answers are yes then you are the lucky one who actually got the real cross over version unlike the people who answered no to those questions..... our unfortunately asses all got cars LMAO
Sponsored