Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Grabber Blue First Editio
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Having had the FE for 2 weeks now I will say the the wind noise at 40+ mph really is unacceptable for a $60,000 vehicle. It's pretty noticable and only gets louder the faster you go. Love the vehicle other than that although I've started to notice some glitching in the software now...
Sponsored

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Can anyone confirm there is no air leak which is making the noise? If there is small amount of air leak that is making the roof noise, any possibility this may leak to water leak in heavy rains ?

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Can anyone confirm there is no air leak which is making the noise? If there is small amount of air leak that is making the roof noise, any possibility this may leak to water leak in heavy rains ?
I read in this post even Ford acknowledged it’s unacceptable but does it mean they are going to make an expensive fix which may involve replacing the roof? Or should be not buy if this is found on pre delivery.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Mine is quite loud, especially at 40mph and above. I went to a “touch less” car wash yesterday to wash off all the salt. I looked closely and no leaks. The leading edge of my roof is substantially higher than the windshield (much higher than the other 2 MMes I’ve looked at), and is the source of the noise.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Mine is quite loud, especially at 40mph and above. I went to a “touch less” car wash yesterday to wash off all the salt. I looked closely and no leaks. The leading edge of my roof is substantially higher than the windshield (much higher than the other 2 MMes I’ve looked at), and is the source of the noise.
Sorry to hear. What is the fix they can offer ?

Reactions: JSW

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
At up to 70 with radio off, I didn't really notice any unusal wind noise from mine. It's a rare occaision where I don't have some sort of audio coming out of my speakers, so I'll probably not notice this if it does start making noise.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear. What is the fix they can offer ?
Nothing. If they don‘t come up with an official fix by spring, I’m going to put silicone in the gap between the windshield and the roof - that should quiet it down.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Nothing. If they don‘t come up with an official fix by spring, I’m going to put silicone in the gap between the windshield and the roof - that should quiet it down.
Why not get a cheap $30 sound meter and see what you find? I didn't find any difference in noise levels between the roof and the cabin, which is not what you would expect to find if the roof was a major source of noise.

Your MME might be different, and it's always easier if you can document there is something wrong. Otherwise it's easy for your complaint to be written off.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why not get a cheap $30 sound meter and see what you find? I didn't find any difference in noise levels between the roof and the cabin, which is not what you would expect to find if the roof was a major source of noise.

Your MME might be different, and it's always easier if you can document there is something wrong. Otherwise it's easy for your complaint to be written off.
Anyone riding in the car will confirm it. I’m not at all concerned about the dealership denying it’s a problem. They do not have an approved fix.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
As I mentioned previously, Both our 2019 Leaf and my GMC pickup have the roof panel about 1/8" higher than the windshield. I have not noticed any noise in that area. HOWEVER, they do not have glass roofs and there is undoubtedly more insulation up there. Maybe the glass roof just accentuates the noise. Has anyone in a SR without the glass roof noticed any noise???

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
There is no air leak - My car got washed with a pressure washer at the dealer and no water inside the car bit can see water in the panel gaps. The wind noise is outside

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
*3rd UPDATE*
I heard back from the service rep at the dealership today. Ford apparently sent a notice that stated the wind noise is “an undesirable characteristic of the vehicle and no further attempts should be made” The service rep said in his view this means that Ford doesn’t want dealerships coming up with random solutions and that they are likely already working on a fix since it’s probably a wide scale issue. He said to check with him once a month and he will check the service channels to see if a fix is listed in the system. Additionally, he mentioned that it would help if Ford realized how widespread the issue is so that it might be beneficial for others experiencing the same issue to reach out to their dealership’s service team. I will be calling the Ford Friends and Family service case manager this afternoon with this information as well.
This is promising. Everyone who is suffering from this issue should report to add data for Ford that this is an issue.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I hear the wind noise too increase with speed. Now is it not tolerable? I have lived with very noisy cars all my life, so yes can live with it. But should it be there? I dont know what Ford had in mind. But if there is something Ford can do to reduce then thats great. If they say sorry - we designed it this way and the wind noise is side effect and you can either take the glass roof and live with this or opt for a model with no glass roof thats fine too. At this point its really about understand Ford outcome expectations and our choices. If Ford is already saying its not desirable then thats actually good. Even if the solution they come up with reduces the noise to some extent it will be welcome.

Reactions: ARK

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I read in this post even Ford acknowledged it’s unacceptable but does it mean they are going to make an expensive fix which may involve replacing the roof? Or should be not buy if this is found on pre delivery.
i dont think this varies by car - its there in all MMEs - its a matter of driver acceptance and the driving conditions and if those result in the noise. The design is what it is. Given the exact driving conditions, I have to assume all all MMEs will present this. I have seen several MMes at the dealer and they all look the same on the roof , so I dont think its like a rare missassembly issue.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
i dont think this varies by car - its there in all MMEs - its a matter of driver acceptance and the driving conditions and if those result in the noise. The design is what it is. Given the exact driving conditions, I have to assume all all MMEs will present this. I have seen several MMes at the dealer and they all look the same on the roof , so I dont think its like a rare missassembly issue.
Not sure how you characterize the issue, but...

Think of wind instruments, like a flute or whistle. They rely on a precision opening with certain dimensions to make sound. You are getting those same precision conditions at that joint. When the conditions are perfect, you get a distinct wind noise. Too wide or narrow, no noise. Too high or low, no noise. Perfect height and width, noise :(. That's why something as simple as a little silicon fixes it. You have disrupted the perfect dimensions.
Sponsored

Last edited: