A bit of a brutal take on the Mach-e and a bit on EV's in general.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I jumped to the final thoughts, basically pointless or did I miss something?

I have been driving an EV since early 2016. All 3 of them have been cheaper to buy/own/operate than their gas equivalent and all have been more fun/practical than their gas equivalent.

So my "final thoughts" while yes I am awaiting the Breakthroughs, the Next Gen, the Solid State, the current Gen of what is out there is better for me than an ICE. So while we wait for "the future" what I am driving today is the best/most fun all around vehicle I could be driving. So unless you plan to just drive your old car while you wait, an EV is likely the best option out there.

Last edited:

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I've been victim of the "future updates", "when released features", "for now workarounds", "best thing coming soon", "this will make your <X> obsolete tomorrow" etc and I still don't fear the reaper, or hodl my breathe. I've held off because <X> tech is amazeballs! But guess what, it's still vaporware. Holding off and paying for gas until the awesomeness of the next awesome is released only costs you in the end. But that's probably why I have 2 EV's and have for almost 10 years now. Same battery tech (read: value) and just more rushed features to make <x> demographic happier.

Coffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
This time last year EV sales were 6.1% of total, now they're 7.9% so even with the slowdown the fact is more and more people are buying them but good news isn't news, more views and comments come from doom and gloom or controversy.
Really not worth watching that drivel, I tried but also skipped to the end.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I generally like their reviews and obviously I'm biased, but I think their take is a bit shitty (leaving out the context of 2020-2022 and the IRA) and they're jumping on the EV Doooom clickbait bandwagon.

ReverendPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium, 2018 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I can't say that they were wrong about anything in there, but it really seemed like they came at this with a purely pessimistic attitude. And there wasn't much use in listening to them bash the car and Ford in general for the faults, without giving much credit where credit was due.

There are little details of this car that make it the most pleasureful driving experience I've ever had. If I had to say goodbye to my car right now, I would FOR SURE miss it and think about how much I missed it constantly. So while most of their criticisms were based in reality, their biased personal opinions were well on display, and that is where I wholeheartedly disagree.

mhellman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
They make a few good observations, but there are blatant biases. Feels like a video created to pander to the anti-EV crowd. I mean, you could pick up most of those same complaints and move them over to the Tesla Y, and they fall pretty flat in the face of that vehicle's success. They bring politics into it and compare buying electric to immunizations? Followed by "but It's not political for me" and "I just don't want people spending their money on a car that is totally disposable". As if ICE vehicles don't have "new model" problems. Sure, it's not political for you at all :rolleyes:. Are you sure you can't think of ANYTHING at all that the Mach-e offers over comparable ICE? Not one thing? How about the performance that you mentioned earlier that was so conveniently swept aside by comparing it to other electric vehicles instead of ICE?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Wonder how much of that video's info was quickly gleaned from here and Reddit. If the world relied on our trending or what's new posts they'd think all there was was no performance, crap charging, no way to open the frunk and dead cars.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
There will always be something better in the future. That is the way the world works. If you wait because there will be something better in the future, then you will never enjoy the present.
Ford Mustang Mach-E A bit of a brutal take on the Mach-e and a bit on EV's in general. 1699031627406

Amazonkers

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Select, previous 13 Chevy Volt
Country flag
That was way over the top drivel.

Couldn't believe the not comparable to a Bronco Sport comment. I'm in colleague's new ICE vehicles half the week at lunch and think how dated/primitive the car is.

I was thinking that's exactly what I'll be saying when I turn it in (that it was a great car & I'll miss it).

I couldn't make beyond the ICE F150 being better than the Lightning in every way statement (I mean I think that in reverse besides if you need long range towing needs myself).

khbkhb

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Stromer ST-1, Cattrike, Mazda CX9
Occupation
Computer Geek
Country flag
I jumped to the final thoughts, basically pointless or did I miss something?
My first EV was a Corbin Sparrow a bit more than 20 years ago. *that* was first generation (lead acid batteries!!). Technically a three wheeled enclosed motorcycle. I concur, there is no point in waiting, assuming one has a suitable use-case (e.g. predictable commute, adequate charging, etc.). Not everyone, and not every trip is EV friendly yet.

Our 2021 MachE GTPE is wonderful, fun to drive and my wife still loves every second she’s driving.

GoldNekNinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
They were a bit too negative in this video, but he’s 100% right about this car. Honestly, if I could, I would rather buy a gas car as my next car instead of an EV, cause the infrastructure isn’t there for anything. Charging stations don’t work half the time, only one dealer in a 50 mile radius near me can make proper repairs on my car, and the over promising of features and underdelivering make it an okay experience.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They indicated that the Mustang Mach-e would be a good vehicle if priced like a Bronco Sport - $29,000-$30,000. They didn't realize that a base Bronco Sport Big Bend is around $35,000. A Mach-e Select is $43,000. And, the Mach-e is larger and more up-scale. So, the price gap between EV and ICE is shrinking. Ford will figure out their manufacturer costs and IMHO eventually offer a sub-$40,000 Mach-e.

Also, the comment the video made about why Ford would risk using the name of their icon Mustang on an "experimental" electric SUV, I would just say if their last name isn't Ford, they have no say what Ford names any of their vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited: