A2Z Adapter: Slam to Work

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Make sure latch is Open. Slide firmly onto hose. Never had an issue.

david_quick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So it gets easier to insert the plug into the adapter the more often you do it?
It’s mostly a use it and get a feel for what is needed kind of thing. I usually hold it with one. Hand and the NACS with the other and can press them together. Kind of like this.

Reactions: RLW

A2ZEV

Gold Sponsor
First Name
A2ZEV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E GT
Country flag
Hi all,

We have read and acknowledged your comments, we will improve accordingly.
As of now, the adapter is indeed tight the first 1-5 to uses, but the fitment gets perfect afterwards.
We wanted to avoid any movement between the NACS connector and the adapter. We have seen several adapters sold by other brands with a lot of movement that appears over time and that is absolutely not good.

We take every single comment into consideration and we thank you for sharing them, this is truly an amazing community.

-A2Z EV

ocdxfv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Toyota Rav4 EV
Occupation
Retired radiology tech
Country flag
I’m on day 6 of a 10 day road trip and each time I use the adapter it gets a little easier. I wear a glove on the adapter hand and push the Tesla handle in and out a few times then slam it in. I’m hoping by the 10th day I can get it connected on the first try w/o the glove. I’m So happy to have it.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Make sure latch is Open. Slide firmly onto hose. Never had an issue.
Same here - first few times, I had to put the adapter on the ground with towel underneath, press the NACS plug into the adapter, feeling for a slight click.

Then slide the lock lever.

Charge startes.

Now, after 2 months + use and over 20 Supercharges - no longer have to press fit it.

Just slides over and charges immediately.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
I just got my @A2ZEV adapter, and preparing for an upcoming road trip, I immediately went to the nearest Tesla Supercharger site. I was fortunate that all 8 chargers were free, so I had my choice. I've read that you have to vigorously insert the plug into the adapter, so I was prepared to snap them together with vigor. I snapped vigorously at the first charger and no good. The plug would not fully insert. So on to the second. No good. And the third. Again and again, I could not get the plug to seat far enough in the adaptor to lock it. At each plug, I tried several times to get the adapter to seat and lock. Then I found the Tesla plug that looked the newest and cleanest and tried again. Finally I succeeded when I first aggressively snapped the plug into the adapter as hard as I could. When I still couldn't get it to lock, I slammed the heel of my left hand on the wide face of the adapter several times hitting it as hard as I could. It finally did lock and I could start charging.... then went home to ice my hand and wrist. They say it gets easier afer a few tries. I hope so. My hand and wrists hope so.

poor technique grasshopper.. try a few karate lessons ;)

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks to all for the comments and help. I’m on my road trip now and find the best way to connect the adapter is to set it on a 2x4 on the ground and push the plug down and into the adapter. I get a lot more leverage this way and avoid bruising my hand.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I use a Tesla wall charger at home for my MME. I wonder if I should “exercise” whatever adapter I get on the Tesla plug before trying it out in the real world.

redgrandam

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Select
Country flag
I use a Tesla wall charger at home for my MME. I wonder if I should “exercise” whatever adapter I get on the Tesla plug before trying it out in the real world.
I just did this last night. I have a J1772 to Tesla adapter from when I had my Tesla. So I just used it to work the adapter in. About 20-30 times and it’s quite a lot easier now.

In the field some of the handles could have dirt or stuff on them so it still might not be 100% but should be pretty good now!

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Just did the first test of my A2Z adapter. Didn't need a charge, I was only at 73%, but it was on the path for the morning drive with my mom. Thought I found the perfect charger, pull up on the side. But it was handicap only, D'oh! But there were dozens of empty spots so I found one and pulled up on its right side. Closed in on the bollard and the collision warning beep was going hyper, but I was watching the camera and left an inch or two space.

Popped the trunk and got out the adapter and my cloth grocery bags that have peg-board bottoms. Took them to the charger, laying the bag/board on the concrete below the charger. Took out the plug and put the adapter on best I could by hand. It was a tight fit, so I pushed it down on the grocery bag and pulled the lock tab back, thought it clicked. Plugged in my car and opened FordPass. Said it had a charging fault. Pressed button, waited a few seconds and unplugged. Pushed adapter down again, leaning on it more heavily and slid the lock back. Really felt a click this time and plugged back in. Heard some fans and watched it charge from the app. Only added 2% because this was a test. Learned to push it in as hard as I can, then really lean on it.

So, got it to work the first time on my 2nd try 😝
Sponsored