Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 22 Mach e rwd, red. 17 CTS, 22 Jeep GC
Occupation
Technology director
Country flag
Can the AC stay on while fast charging?
I ask because we travel wit a pet. Wondering if we need to make arrangements / considerations for charging stops.
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Yes. The AC will, of course, take a bit of power -- but it doesn't take that much power. It means some fraction of the power that would have been charging the car will instead get used to run the AC.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If you turn the car off while plugged in, you have to do a full start with your foot on the brake to get the high voltage engaged to run the compressor. The AC compressor won't run in accessory mode.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
One word of advice. If you are using plug and charge, make sure the car is off and the doors are closed to initiate the charge. Then turn the car back on to run the AC after charging starts.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
Yes. The AC will, of course, take a bit of power -- but it doesn't take that much power. It means some fraction of the power that would have been charging the car will instead get used to run the AC.
In my experience the high voltage battery heater/cooler uses about 6kw max. So the impact on charging time is minimal, unless it's hot out. Then you'll be sharing cooling the cabin with cooling the HVB, and that will in turn take longer to charge your battery.

And oftentimes it won't charge at 150kw for long, so plenty of room left for the DCFC to power the HVB heater/cooler.

Cgertz

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, MME AWD ER, ID4
Occupation
Technical support engineer
Country flag
Same question, why?

I have 34K on this car, traveled across the country and several other road trips and have never had to turn off and close the doors to charge. If it’s hot I normally don’t even turn the car off and just plug in with the door open so it does not honk at me. Using P&C with no issues.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
In my experience the high voltage battery heater/cooler uses about 6kw max. So the impact on charging time is minimal, unless it's hot out. Then you'll be sharing cooling the cabin with cooling the HVB, and that will in turn take longer to charge your battery.

And oftentimes it won't charge at 150kw for long, so plenty of room left for the DCFC to power the HVB heater/cooler.
I believe the A/C consumes about half the energy as the heater.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Those are requirements in order to initiate plug and charge. There was an old thread on this.
I could understand a requirement to have the vehicle in Park, but turning it fully off doesn't sound right.

Skimming through some of the old posts on this, I see people mentioning the steps that they tried while attempting to (successfully or not) authorized charging with plug and charge, but none of those stated that their set of steps were a requirement.

This is a hard one for me to find the specific post you're remembering since this topic has come up a lot.

Ford doesn't go into P&C details in the manual. There's a brief mention here:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just adding a data point here. I have used P&C a bit, and never have shut the car off before plugging in, and usually leave my driver door open while I plug in. Activates fine.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
There's no specific sequence for plugging in to charge. I've tested this theory from the many threads posted about the topic.

Actions to try:
  1. Arrive at a charger
  2. With vehicle on and "running", exit and proceed to plug in (and activate if needed)
  3. Wait for the vehicle to charge to the desired level, by doing one of the following:
    1. Return to vehicle and hang out
    2. Exit vehicle, lock doors with keypad to keep vehicle running
    3. Power off vehicle, exit and lock with one-touch, keypad or walk-away lock
The keypad on the car gives you full control to walk away and lock the doors, while the MME is "running", with the 7-8, and 9-0 keys pressed simultaneously. This preserves the current running state. I've done this many times with groceries in the vehicle. The vehicle will turn off after 15 or 30 minutes though; I'm blanking on which is correct.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The only experience I've had (when P&C failed to authorize) was because the car was off, doors closed AND LOCKED. I didn't lock them deliberately ... I walked to the front of the car to grab the charge cord, but phone was in my pocket and I got far enough that the car decided to lock.

When I called EA for help, they told me that P&C wont authorize if the doors are locked. Ever since, I've made sure to not let the car lock while initiating the charge (it can lock after charging authorizes) and never had another problem.

Presumably ... if the doors are locked it might me someone is trying to plug in the car and you aren't even around (but I don't know why you'd be parked in a DC Fast Charging space and not plug-in -- so it didn't make sense to me, but that's what they told me.)

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
One word of advice. If you are using plug and charge, make sure the car is off and the doors are closed to initiate the charge. Then turn the car back on to run the AC after charging starts.
That's not needed. I always plug in to EA while the car is fully on, usually driver's door is open. Then after I plug in, I hop back into the car and I wait inside while charging. That way I have climate and radio while waiting.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If charging is going to take more than 30 minutes you should turn off auto turn off timer. If the charger turns off it well go to accessories mode.

Ford, why should the car be in accessories mode ever?
Sponsored