joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Pretty sure Tesla has turn-signal initiated lane changes during “autopilot” but I’m not sure whether this requires the $10,000 upgrade. Maybe a Tesla owner can confirm.
Teslas will do turn-signal initiated lane changes. If you bought it when they offered it, the "Enhanced Autopilot" which was the middle tier of the previous three-tier automation options they offered. The entry-level "Autopilot" package does not do lane changes at all. Full Self Driving does do the lane changes

Today, they only offer a single automation option: the $10,000 FSD package
Sponsored

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I'm really hoping that Ford brings an auto-lane change capability to the MME to match Cadillac's 2021 Supercruise and Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot functionalities.

Re: the hardware requirements necessary for auto-lane change, this recent R&T article states the Escalade is able to do so through its "rear-facing blind spot radar, front radar, and the side-view cameras from the 360-degree suite to ensure there's a safe gap".

https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...assistance-system-but-it-doesnt-feel-like-it/

breeves002 mentioned 4 bumper radar sensors and the APA sensors. These might be sufficient to enable auto-lane change in the future given that the Escalade is able to do so through just 2 radar sensors and 2 cameras.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'm really hoping that Ford brings an auto-lane change capability to the MME to match Cadillac's 2021 Supercruise and Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot functionalities.

Re: the hardware requirements necessary for auto-lane change, this recent R&T article states the Escalade is able to do so through its "rear-facing blind spot radar, front radar, and the side-view cameras from the 360-degree suite to ensure there's a safe gap".

https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...assistance-system-but-it-doesnt-feel-like-it/

breeves002 mentioned 4 bumper radar sensors and the APA sensors. These might be sufficient to enable auto-lane change in the future given that the Escalade is able to do so through just 2 radar sensors and 2 cameras.
wait the Escalade only has 2 cameras? how does it do a 360 degree view? legit curious how that works.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
wait the Escalade only has 2 cameras? how does it do a 360 degree view? legit curious how that works.
It has more than two cameras. One could remove the two side mirrors* and reduce the count by two. But then the 360 view will look more like an hourglass.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Active Drive Assist -Lane Change? 2021-cadillac-escalade-surround-view-camera-carbuzz-771800

* Great Aunt Millie's narrow driveway is perfect for this, should you be interested.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
The Escalade may have more than 2 cameras overall, but for auto-lane change it seems to only utilize 2 sideview cameras.

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
I'm sorry, you have owned 75+ Ford vehicles in the past 13 years? That is crazy! How is that even possible?

I also speak from experience and from reading description and operation in the workshop manual.

This is a good point, and the radar sensors can look back about 40 feet approximately. This is my guess with how it works on trucks with a trailer. Max trailer length is 32' and I'm guessing it looks a little bit beyond that.

I also will add the point that even a normal person seeing someone going 100mph may not recognize how fast they are going because it is rare people come up on you that fast. You or I may notice but many people will not.
Not owned, used in my job, 4-6 per year. I work in the automotive industry. No additional comment.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
My understanding of the way these stalk-initiated lane changes work (Cadillac SuperCruise OR Tesla) is that it’s a “request”. You use the turn signal to indicate that you’d like to perform a lane change, but the car only executes the maneuver when the car detects it is clear to do so. How long does it wait until the request “times out”?
For either of my Teslas, it's at least 10 seconds or more until it gives up. The display will show red until an opening appears.

I'll try it in really bad traffic sometime and report back.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Teslas will do turn-signal initiated lane changes. If you bought it when they offered it, the "Enhanced Autopilot" which was the middle tier of the previous three-tier automation options they offered. The entry-level "Autopilot" package does not do lane changes at all. Full Self Driving does do the lane changes

Today, they only offer a single automation option: the $10,000 FSD package
I have the first version of AP in my 2015 Tesla Model S and it does lane changes very well. But in my version I have to turn the indicator off. In our Model 3, the turn indicator resets itself after the lane change. I still think my version of AP does it best. The 3 is a little janky at times.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
This is evasive steering assist. When you encounter a situation and the radar unit picks up the Issue, the forward collision warning goes off, then you initiate steering input. The system (EPAS) will assist with more steering than normal to help you avoid the incident. You do the steering, it just provides additional steering.

You're the first I've heard about radar. Is there radar? If so, why has no one mentioned it?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Could be a while before I can get back on HWY for vid, but in meantime, see attached pics.

Screen Shot, 23 MME.jpg

Information, LCAssist.jpg