Am I fine with the 240V "mobile" charger as a permanent fixture in my garage?

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey guys here’s my setup:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I fine with the 240V "mobile" charger as a permanent fixture in my garage? 8DA6599A-6C9D-4FAC-9A3F-78E4F81F0378

is it alright to leave it plugged like that and just use this as my charger?
It isn’t hot to the touch even though the light stays on.

I am looking at the performance of this vs the Ford Charge station and I’d just charge 3h faster...it doesn’t seem worth it to me or am I missing something?
Sponsored

baldeagle47

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E first edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You should check with your local utility for rebates they offer if you install an EV charger. Also, there have been (at least till now) federal income tax credits for installing a charger. there may also be local incentives. Since you already have a plug you can use, you would not have significant installation charges which could give you a faster charger, plug in, for free and you could keep your mobile charger in the vehicle for unanticipated use, Also you may be able to get lower electricity rates for installing a charger. You don't have to have a hardwired charger.

Last edited:

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
yup. works fine.

i used it for a week when i had to wait for a replacement grizzl-e charger.

the grizzl-e charging at 40amps is faster for sure but even it’s standard cable is super thick so a bit more work to use than the thinner and lighter ford one

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
I'm doing the exact same 220v plug as @gnaark . I plan on pulling the plug when not in use.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm doing the exact same 220v plug as @gnaark . I plan on pull the plug when not in use.
I definitely encourage unplugging when not in use to avoid vampire losses. My Clipper Creek is hard wired, so no avoiding the vampire.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I definitely encourage unplugging when not in use to avoid vampire losses. My Clipper Creek is hard wired, so no avoiding the vampire.
If the wattage drawn is miniscule (e.g. just keeping the blue LED lit and little else), I'd rather keep the EVSE plugged in to the wall than incur wear and tear on the receptacle or the cost of a 50A switch.

I wonder if anyone has measured power drawn by Ford's EVSE while plugged into the wall but not plugged into a vehicle?

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the wattage drawn is miniscule (e.g. just keeping the blue LED lit and little else), I'd rather keep the EVSE plugged in to the wall than incur wear and tear on the receptacle or the cost of a 50A switch.

I wonder if anyone has measured power drawn by Ford's EVSE while plugged into the wall but not plugged into a vehicle?
After installing a JuiceBox 40, I asked Enel X about keeping it plugged in continually. They said it would only cost about $.30/month, plus it allows it to update the firmware automatically, since it’s connected to my WiFi network.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
After installing a JuiceBox 40, I asked Enel X about keeping it plugged in continually. They said it would only cost about $.30/month, plus it allows it to update the firmware automatically, since it’s connected to my WiFi network.
I also think you can wear the plug and outlet a bit by constantly unplugging and plugging back in.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I definitely encourage unplugging when not in use to avoid vampire losses.
I dug into this a little bit... Energy Star answered my question.

They performed measurements across an array of EVSEs available in 2016:

https://www.energystar.gov/products/spec/electric_vehicle_supply_equipment_pd

In their spreadsheet (EVSE Version 1.0 Dataset), they measured No Vehicle Power Mode at anywhere between 1.21 to 6.54 watts, depending on the model tested, across 14 different models. Only six models met the goal of 2.6W or less (3.6W or less if WiFi connected).

Still, 6.54 watts is not bad. That's less than one of my LED porch lights.

Energy Star has a catalog of data available on Energy Star Certified EVSEs here: https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-evse/results

Here are some of the numbers. Note that Webasto, formerly known as AeroVironment, engineers and manufactures the Ford mobile EVSE (and the Ford Connected Charge Station).

BrandModelWatts w/out Vehicle ConnectedRated Output (A)Wi-Fi or Ethernet
ChargePointCPH500.850Yes
ClipperCreekHCS-D502.040No
Enel X2JBO401RNA-PJWX-2001.5740Yes
Enel X2JBO481RNA-HBWX-2001.6648Yes
United ChargersGrizzl-E Smart2.3340Yes
WebastoEVSE-DX**322.2232Yes
WebastoEVSE-CSSS56600012-10032.4832No

Last edited:

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just measured my Ford Mobile Charger plugged into a 120 V outlet, but disconnected from the car.

It draws 1.8 Watts, which is consistent with the 30 cents per month estimate.
That's great to hear about the portable EVSE as that's all I use, so if plugged into a 240v I guess it would be roughly double that? Tho still inconsequential.
Sponsored