Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Hello All... Came home from work and got a warning that the ambient temperature was high and that I needed to plug in my car when not in use. Couldn't get a photo of the alert before it went away. Outside temperature in Sacramento is about 110. Just curious... Is this to keep the battery cool to prevent degradation?
Sponsored

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Hello All... Came home from work and got a warning that the ambient temperature was high and that I needed to plug in my car when not in use. Couldn't get a photo of the alert before it went away. Outside temperature in Sacramento is about 110. Just curious... Is this to keep the battery cool to prevent degradation?
I'm in Sac too and saw the same alert when I got home. I plugged it in but won't actually start charging until later tonight.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah this is normal. I'm seeing it most drives now when I switch to Park.

The message only displays for maybe 10 seconds, or until you power off vehicle, so you might not see it sometimes.

Today I had this extra message, was locked into Engage mode, and acceleration was noticeably reduced, probably not normal but only happened on one drive so far.

It was very hot outside today.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ambient Temperature High Warning PXL_20210618_021347706
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ambient Temperature High Warning PXL_20210618_021329340

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Yeah this is normal. I'm seeing it most drives now when I switch to Park.

The message only displays for maybe 10 seconds, or until you power off vehicle, so you might not see it sometimes.

Today I had this extra message, was locked into Engage mode, and acceleration was noticeably reduced, probably not normal but only happened on one drive so far.

Buck 24, you got us beat ?.

On a related note, I'm VERY impressed with the glass roof and the heat reflection. Even in 110 degree heat the car is much cooler than expected even in direct sunlight. I have my windows tinted too, but not the roof. The seats are hot but not hot enough to burn you when wearing shorts.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

pxl_20210618_021347706-jpg.jpg
That message is a bit worrying. I have not been charging at home at all. I've been getting to work @ 6 and charging there for a couple of hours before moving under covered parking for the rest of the day. I'm sure that being in the shade helps, but not a whole lot. I keep telling myself that at least I don't leave in Death Valley.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
The drive mode not available means you are temporarily restricted to Engage mode. It will self recover on its own. I assume system was waiting to cool battery?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have been getting this ever since I picked up my Mach E on Monday. Temperature hit 117 in Phoenix and the car is reading 127. This is consistent with some other reports about the temperature reading being off by about 10 degrees. I have had My Bolt for 3 years now and have never gotten a message like this.

For the Bolt, GM recommends the car be plugged in any time temps are above 90 or below 32. And when mine is plugged in with temps above 105, in the garage, the cooling fan runs quite a bit. I will monitor the Mach E to see how much the fan runs as well, even when it is not charging.

Also the cooling fan on the Mach E is about 5 times as loud as the one on the Bolt.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The drive mode not available means you are temporarily restricted to Engage mode. It will self recover on its own. I assume system was waiting to cool battery?
Right, that's exactly what occurred.

But why? I'd love to know some of the conditions that may have caused this.

If it helps, I was on a phone call before entering the car. So when I finally sat down and started the vehicle, the call transferred into the vehicle's audio system (Bluetooth) and this caused the A/C fan speed to immediately reduce down to support call quality.

Did it also reduce cooling to electronics??

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'd be tempted to leave the MME 'on' with cabin temp set to 85 to keep everything including the batteries comfortable if you have to park in that kind of heat....

Phxboiler

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy bolt
Country flag
for the first time I had the drive modes disabled too and I also live in phx and car is in sun while at work. Car thankfully worked fine.

the warning to keep plugged in is interesting because likewise my car only charged ler time of use. I asssume it’s to cool battery and I would be ok / prefer it use a little plugged in power to cool batteries. However, it doesn’t appear to unles it’s charging.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
for the first time I had the drive modes disabled too and I also live in phx and car is in sun while at work. Car thankfully worked fine.

the warning to keep plugged in is interesting because likewise my car only charged ler time of use. I asssume it’s to cool battery and I would be ok / prefer it use a little plugged in power to cool batteries. However, it doesn’t appear to unles it’s charging.
...or you leave the car 'on', or you turn it on a good 30 minutes before driving?

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Hopefully Ford can comment on this... I've got a trip to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Death Valley coming up in two weeks and really some reassurance that everything is going to operate as planned!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Right, that's exactly what occurred.

But why? I'd love to know some of the conditions that may have caused this.

If it helps, I was on a phone call before entering the car. So when I finally sat down and started the vehicle, the call transferred into the vehicle's audio system (Bluetooth) and this caused the A/C fan speed to immediately reduce down to support call quality.

Did it also reduce cooling to electronics??
No. That is a separate system. Battery conditioning has higher priority than cabin conditioning. In extreme cases, the cabin cooling will be disabled. If that happens, then start looking for a safe place to pull over.

Phxboiler

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy bolt
Country flag
I have a friend who just got the Tesla x…it wouldn’t let him use the ac this afternoon so he drove home 39 minute with no ac…..+1 for Mach e on this front so far…switching me to engage from unbridled was odd but not the end of the world.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For those that received the Drive Mode not available message.....was your default mode Unbridled?
Sponsored