Another Bike Rack Thread

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
My wife and I are road cyclists and both our bikes fit with the seats down (without removing the front wheel, which honestly isn't a big deal for road bikes). We put moving blankets between the bikes to prevent messing up the bikes from them hitting each other. But yes, the lack of a legitimate bike rack solution is very frustrating.
I have a Thule Wingbar roof rack (official figment for the MME) with the Thule Proride Xt bike rack mounted. Pricey but it works great

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It looks good standing still, hit a couple speed bumps or a quick swerve to see where that rack ends up with three 35lbs bikes ($200) hanging off the back.
I have seen those straps stretch and fray if they have been exposed to UV over a period of time. There is no way that lower contact point is not going to get damaged either by dimpling the sheet metal or trapping dirt under the foam pads and scratching the paint.
The reason the racks are expensive is to 1) Protect the finish on your car 2) Prevent bikes flying off and killing someone behind you 3) Protect your bike.

I didn't say strap racks were a good idea.... but the OP wants a $100 rack for occasional use. I would absolutely avoid speed bumps, washboard rough roads, or high speed cornering... as well as being careful with total bike weight; I'd really hesitate putting more than 50# on.

My personal preference is the TorkLift hitch mount and 1up rack.... but that's a big investment for somebody who might use a bike rack once or twice a year.

The hitch mount I think is a great idea for anybody since the side benefit is rear tow loops for rescue in case your nose gets stuck in a ditch or snowbank.

kevC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD Preimum Carbon Gray
Country flag
I have a Thule Wingbar roof rack (official figment for the MME) with the Thule Proride Xt bike rack mounted. Pricey but it works great
Can you get two on it? I'm not seeing a multi-bike option on their website.

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Can you get two on it? I'm not seeing a multi-bike option on their website.
two is no problem. I’m planning on running four across like I’m a team car in the TDF, but haven’t tested it yet

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
awesome. If I spent 3k on a bike, I absolutely would invest on a quality that. Thats just not for me at this time.
You spent 70k on the car but a $600 hitch/rack is not worth it? I’m confused at why it’s not worth it to protect the vehicle from damage from a cheap rack alone.

I also have a $4000 road bike and $2000 MTB though so I don’t trust my own judgement when it comes to pricing bike accessories 😅

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I am new to the forum, having ordered a 2022 GTPE back in April. I don't have a production date yet, though I anticipate it to get scheduled soon. I am starting to think about bike rack options. The advice in this thread has been extremely useful, and I am considering one of the handful of stealth hitch options people have suggested. I have a nice bike and don't mind investing for a good hitch and rack.

I would like to clarify one outstanding question that is unclear, even after reviewing some of the hitches people have suggested. Some of the hitch vendors are clear that cutting into the trim or facia is required. Some are not as clear.

Are there any hitch options, stealth or otherwise, that won't require cutting into the car?

OP
OP

boozin

First Name
Boozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
PM
Country flag
You spent 70k on the car but a $600 hitch/rack is not worth it?
Its not if I am not planning to use it for more than a few times a year, and further Im not planning to keep the car for more than 1 year tops. So its not just a 600$ hitch, its also the rack etc. To me, that doesn't make sense. But to others, its totally justifyable

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I also have a $4000 road bike and $2000 MTB though so I don’t trust my own judgement when it comes to pricing bike accessories
Ford Mustang Mach-E Another Bike Rack Thread 1664567391701

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another Bike Rack Thread 1664567449047

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another Bike Rack Thread 1664567560937

Ok I'm done.*

* Done posting memes that is. We have a literal wall of bikes in the garage: 2x triathlon bikes. 3 Mountain bikes, and 2 Road Bikes. Oh and a Peloton in my office, but I'm not sure that counts as I pedal hard but never go anywhere on it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am new to the forum, having ordered a 2022 GTPE back in April. I don't have a production date yet, though I anticipate it to get scheduled soon. I am starting to think about bike rack options. The advice in this thread has been extremely useful, and I am considering one of the handful of stealth hitch options people have suggested. I have a nice bike and don't mind investing for a good hitch and rack.

I would like to clarify one outstanding question that is unclear, even after reviewing some of the hitches people have suggested. Some of the hitch vendors are clear that cutting into the trim or facia is required. Some are not as clear.

Are there any hitch options, stealth or otherwise, that won't require cutting into the car?
All of the hitch options require cutting into the car. I know, it is hard to think about cutting into your brand new GT, but I did it and I love my hitch. I take one of my bikes out using the hitch mounted rack several times a week.

Cutting into the car is better than putting one of those crazy contraptions on the hatch IMO. I am sure the risk of damage to the hatch is high. I would't do it.

And with a hitch, you have a handy tow point if you need to be pulled out by the rear. The MME does not have any rear tow points unless you have a hitch installed.

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
All of the hitch options require cutting into the car. I know, it is hard to think about cutting into your brand new GT…
Thanks for confirming. It’s what I expected but one can always hope. :)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks for confirming. It’s what I expected but one can always hope. :)
To me the hitch is not a temporary modification. It is permanent. When I sell the car, the hitch will be included. So that makes the idea of cutting into the cover a little easier to handle. The really hard part is making that first cut, and the fear that the cut is not in exactly the right place. :eek:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
To me the hitch is not a temporary modification. It is permanent. When I sell the car, the hitch will be included. So that makes the idea of cutting into the cover a little easier to handle. The really hard part is making that first cut, and the fear that the cut is not in exactly the right place. :eek:

it's really not THAT scarey..... and mistakes are hard to see given the location. You'd have to literally be on your knees to see any gaps. The cleaner installs just make two cuts along the sides of where the hitch extension is, and allow the 'flap' to fold up with no gap at the top.

do it, do it, do it.....

Heck, this and cutting 3 holes in the Frunk beauty cover over the LVB and HV disconnect were the first mods I did. Dealer freaked out at first when their Service team first saw it at my 10k mile service, but they are considering offering these mods as 'Dealership after-market Service' now. Aftermarket adders are an opportunity for Dealerships to make some money on Service.
Sponsored