Any advice on applying for Fed tax credit?

Mache65

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E, 21 F150 PB Limited, 21 Ram 1500 Limited
Country flag
New tax credit forms requires VIN and VIN verification, no need to add sales papers with tax return. You should save the sales papers in case of audit.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
New tax credit forms requires VIN and VIN verification, no need to add sales papers with tax return. You should save the sales papers in case of audit.
Been this way since at least 2018 if not before.

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
I know you realize this, but to be clear to others reading this... the amount you withhold from your paycheck has no bearing on if you will or will not qualify for the $7500. It just changes when you feel the benefit. There's no way you can adjust yourself into qualifying for the full $7500 other than getting your employer to give you a raise. :cool:

Personally, I've found that IRS estimation tool to be extremely terrible at estimating withholding for my situation (joint, 2 incomes, maxing out 401ks and other tax plans, index funds). It way overestimated how much to withhold; my napkin math by just using my taxable salary and the tax tables was spot on in comparison.
Not a tax professional. Not financial advice. If you have questions about your tax situation, please talk to a tax professional.

There *are* ways to increase your tax liability other than getting a higher salary. If your tax liability for the year you buy an EV is less than the EV Tax Credit, talk to a tax professional there may be ways to get the full benefit of the tax credit.

Did I mention: Not tax advice. Not financial advice. Consult a tax professional.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Since you are in CA, you can apply for CVRP $2000 rebate if you qualify, Income limits do apply.
Application has to be submitting within 3 months of purchase date.
Which, BTW, you can only get once. So if you've gotten the CVRP rebate in the past, you're out of luck.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I was referring to manipulating your withholding... That's not going to move the needle. But, yes, there are some things you could do even with your employer (e.g., opting out of pretax benefits) to increase your liability. Those you have to carefully consider because now you'll have less monthly income at the reward of getting more of the credit at a future tax filing.

But I would guess that there's a pretty small intersection of people who don't currently qualify, have enough money to move around to qualify, and aren't already savvy enough to figure it out (with or without the help of a professional).

But all that said, I definitely don't disagree with the advice to talk to a professional.

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
I finally have my Mach-e. The dealer says that I don't need to do anything special for fed tax credit, just declare it on my 2022 Tax return with a copy of my contract. Is this correct? I thought I previously saw another thread that said, don't wait until 2022 tax filing, but take some other action sooner. Any advice appreciated!
If you bought it in 2022, then it should be taken on your 2023.
If you didn't take it when you filed in April, you can amend the 2023 tax return and resubmit it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If you bought it in 2022, then it should be taken on your 2023.
If you didn't take it when you filed in April, you can amend the 2023 tax return and resubmit it.
He asked the question well before April and received several timely answers.