Anyone worried about charging their MME at a hotel overnight?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread...

I'm about to take a roadtrip and the hotel has chargers on-site. My question is, what is the etiquette? If I arrive at, say, 6PM and plug in but then am at an event like a wedding all night and then go to sleep and unplug my car in the morning, is that shitty? Is it "expected" that I'll go to my car at like 3AM to unplug and move it?

And yes, I know there will be some people here who watch FordPass like a hawk so they can unplug the the car and move it the second it's charged at 2AM in the name of decency, but let's be honest here...that can't be the expected behavior for level 2 hotel chargers, right?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread...

I'm about to take a roadtrip and the hotel has chargers on-site. My question is, what is the etiquette? If I arrive at, say, 6PM and plug in but then am at an event like a wedding all night and then go to sleep and unplug my car in the morning, is that shitty? Is it "expected" that I'll go to my car at like 3AM to unplug and move it?

And yes, I know there will be some people here who watch FordPass like a hawk so they can unplug the the car and move it the second it's charged at 2AM in the name of decency, but let's be honest here...that can't be the expected behavior for level 2 hotel chargers, right?
If your car will be done charging at 3AM, then no reasonable person expects you to wake up and unplug it at 3AM. One would expect that when you get up in the morning (or around 7AM), you look and see if there is an available charging spot. If they are all full, and there is an empty regular space, go move it.

If you're going to be at 90% when you go to bed, then see if you need to move it. You could leave a note on the window for someone to text you, then remove the note when you go to bed.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
If your car will be done charging at 3AM, then no reasonable person expects you to wake up and unplug it at 3AM. One would expect that when you get up in the morning (or around 7AM), you look and see if there is an available charging spot. If they are all full, and there is an empty regular space, go move it.

If you're going to be at 90% when you go to bed, then see if you need to move it. You could leave a note on the window for someone to text you, then remove the note when you go to bed.
Agreed. I think before heading to bed I'll see what the charge is at and move if at something close to 90%. Otherwise, it'll be a morning move.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In over a dozen charging days at hotels, NEVER has another EV been waiting, nor all charging spots filled - except with an ICE vehicle. If it's a choice of me completing my charging, or another EV getting the hotel to get the ICE vehicle to move, it's the latter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
In over a dozen charging days at hotels, NEVER has another EV been waiting, nor all charging spots filled - except with an ICE vehicle. If it's a choice of me completing my charging, or another EV getting the hotel to get the ICE vehicle to move, it's the latter.
That's been my experience also. ICEing is the biggest issue, especially when the hotel has limited parking.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Before long 2 things will happen....

The chargers will become clogged because every other car on the road will be an EV and you'll be SOL.

The squabbling at the front desk over the chargers will cause their removal.

Don't ever count on a charger that's not collecting revenue to be there for you for free.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag

The chargers will become clogged because every other car on the road will be an EV and you'll be SOL.

Don't ever count on a charger that's not collecting revenue to be there for you for free.
Well aren't you the optimist? I personally would like to think that EV owners have higher standards of etiquette than that. And as for chargers being free it's my prediction that having them will soon be a desirable feature.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Well aren't you the optimist? I personally would like to think that EV owners have higher standards of etiquette than that. And as for chargers being free it's my prediction that having them will soon be a desirable feature.
Have you not met an American family with two small kids at the end of a long car trip?

Yes, a desirable feature for the first X number of patrons/guests. Just don't plan a trip that requires an overnight charger.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
There will soon be more EV's on the road than chargers can reasonably handle, at least for a while. As far as etiquette?, sure . . in a fairy tale.. Welcome to the brave new world, every person for themselves... ugghh.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The reality is that you should always have a backup plan. If you can't charge where you planned on charging, where are you going to charge?

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
The reality is that you should always have a backup plan. If you can't charge where you planned on charging, where are you going to charge?
Exactly. Did a Canada road trip from NC back in April and planned hotel stays with overnight charging. Both went without a hitch. BUT, I always arrived at the hotel with enough charge to get me to the closest LV3 charger in case the chargers were ICE'd or taken.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. Did a Canada road trip from NC back in April and planned hotel stays with overnight charging. Both went without a hitch. BUT, I always arrived at the hotel with enough charge to get me to the closest LV3 charger in case the chargers were ICE'd or taken.
Or, an alternate level 2 charger nearby. Sometimes a hotel won't care if you're across the parking lot at a different hotel, in a jam.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Well hopefully at that point chargers will be at critical mass the same as gas pumps. We donā€™t see people demanding gas pumps at hotels.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Well hopefully at that point chargers will be at critical mass the same as gas pumps. We donā€™t see people demanding gas pumps at hotels.
I am sure some will complain those public chargers aren't "free"! ;)

For me the availability of overnight charging at hotels (or campgrounds) is nice to have, but not something to count on.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I am sure some will complain those public chargers aren't "free"! ;)

For me the availability of overnight charging at hotels (or campgrounds) is nice to have, but not something to count on.
Definitely nice to have right now, but in the future probably wonā€™t be necessary to have chargers at destinations.
Sponsored