RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just a quick question for those that plug in and charge at hotels. Do you unplug and move once the vehicle has reached your target level or do you leave it plugged in all night?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
A nice person unplugs if it's done, assuming that's before you go to sleep. If it's going to be hours after you go to sleep, leaving a note that it's ok to unplug when done is also followed by many.

Cue the "I unplug when I'm at 62.7% and it won't be done until 3AM" and the "I set my alarm and wake up at 3:17AM to unplug" crowd....

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
It probably depends on when it finishes. If it's 11 or 12 o'clock at night, I would probably head out and move my car. Later than that I'm going to assume the odds of someone coming in that late and needing a charge is pretty slim.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
The last time I used a L2 at a hotel there were 6 spots available and just me and a BMW PHEV each night, so I didn't sweat it.

I agree with the "unplug me when I'm done" note, but if that's going to be at 3:00 am I doubt anyone will. I will not get up to unplug in the middle of the night, because I doubt anyone will plug in. And, I like sleep, especially if I'm looking at big miles of driving each day.

I would likely be up at 5:00 or 6:00 am anyway, at which point I'd unplug. I have a feeling that the "equilibrium" social norm will just be first come, first served, assuming everyone needs a "full charge"

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I stay plugged in charging all night until it's time to go.

Every time I've charged at a hotel I arrived with a pretty low SOC. My car didn't finish charging until about an hour before we were leaving. Which was just enough time to run the departure time routine on shore power before we left.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've left mine plugged in when I needed to be at 100% in the AM. However this bit me in the ass with a $30 charge for charging at a hotel, when I could have unplugged and charged for 20 minutes at a DCFC about half a mile instead, for far less. The hotel wasn't clear about the charge. They said it was free for guests. Right. Not so much.

OP
OP
RKinWA

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've left mine plugged in when I needed to be at 100% in the AM. However this bit me in the ass with a $30 charge for charging at a hotel, when I could have unplugged and charged for 20 minutes at a DCFC about half a mile instead, for far less. The hotel wasn't clear about the charge. They said it was free for guests. Right. Not so much.
Good point, plus the idle charge if it's charged and just sitting there (in case they charge for that too)

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just because some of you go to sleep at 8pm and there's only 2/5 spots taken doesn't mean that others won't check in after and need a charge for a 7am departure. EV charging spots aren't your personal parking spots. I normally don't get to hotels until 9pm-11pm.

They seriously need to have very high idle fees at these stations to encourage courteous users and discourage selfishness.

If you don't want to unplug (or leave a note to unplug) then don't use them.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
I often take a 450 mile drive to visit my son up at college & always stay at the same hotel because it has an L2 charger. I'll almost always arrive between 9p and midnight with less than 10% SOC. There never seems to be any other EV's charging, so at least for now the demand is low, so I leave my car plugged in all night. I do however have an index card I leave on my dash with a note telling someone if they need to charge to call/text my cell and I'll move the car.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It usually is not an issue for me but the one time it was, I let the desk clerk know, if someone else needs the charger, call my cell and I’ll come move it. My car SOC was low enough that it would continue to charge all night, I just didn’t need that much for where I was headed. I could have left a note on the car, but I didn’t really want my phone number posted for everyone.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It usually is not an issue for me but the one time it was, I let the desk clerk know, if someone else needs the charger, call my cell and I’ll come move it. My car SOC was low enough that it would continue to charge all night, I just didn’t need that much for where I was headed. I could have left a note on the car, but I didn’t really want my phone number posted for everyone.
That’s a great approach Rod!

(The only hotel I’ve charged at so far has a single reserved EV spot in a very small parking lot, so if you are lucky enough to reserve it, it’s yours all night - they specifically tell you that. The last time we stayed there, it was already reserved when we made our reservations, and their parking lot was full when we got there too. But the front desk checked with their sister property - literally across the street - and their EV charging spot was available and there was no chance anyone would be using it that night! So I got both a parking spot and free charging. 😻)

But I like your idea of telling the front desk you can move if someone needs a charge.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
The only times I have been at a hotel with charging I have remained charging all night.

Once I arrived at 10pm and another time at midnight. I felt lucky to get one of the two chargers.

I did get up and move the car before grabbing breakfast incase someone arrived after me and needed to charge but was blocked.

CAL465

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen them stay in the slots all night.

CAL465

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like it that some chargers charge after the 10 min. grace period ends.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
On our last trip, a Tesla (gasp!) owner was moving his car when we arrived around 10PM. I opened my window to thank him as I parked there.

Drury Inns requires you to get your room key coded to use the chargers (in Knoxville), so they would know who is actually charging if you needed a spot (4 spots).
Sponsored