that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH E GT PERFORMANCE
Country flag
ohhh you used fishing wire? I had a situation like this once like 10 years ago...used a high strength fishing wire and it got marred up and dug into the paint itself.
Yes, I used it to get it life’s on one side then I just slowly pulled it. Cups all along where it was. Once I’m home tonight I’ll clean it up and try to cover it up again with the spoiler. Going to try the v2 again before I return it
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Yes, I used it to get it life’s on one side then I just slowly pulled it. Cups all along where it was. Once I’m home tonight I’ll clean it up and try to cover it up again with the spoiler. Going to try the v2 again before I return it
Ok so this might be part of the problem. I debadged a genesis once and used 30lb line I think it was...the line itself started smooth but then in the course of sawing it back and forth it got a bit roughed up. The line then acted like a saw cutting into the paint and the marks left over looked just like what I see on the corners of each of your sides. From then on I've only ever used heat and very thin light line that snaps if it gets damaged. 6lb I think is what I have in the garage now.

OP
OP
that_macheguy

that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH E GT PERFORMANCE
Country flag
Yea no, this was not damaged from fishing line. The underside of the spoiler was not smooth.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I'm assuming there wasn't tape where it wore through to the paint? This is 'real' carbon fiber?

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Oh, that sucks. If you do paint it, it will not be cheap. A small area of my hatch hit my garage door and it did rash. Enough for the paint to come off. To do a quality paint job, you have to remove the hatch, take everything off (glass, molding, taillights, etc.). When I mean quality, no raised clear coating, all blended. My small 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch was going to cost ~$2K. Most of the cost was the labor to disassemble and reassemble.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
It is sad to see. If I remember correctly, it was around $3k to paint the lift gate plus almost a month of waiting.

Updated
I found a paperwork and it was $2120.

Last edited:

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
I wonder if this might just be shitty Ford paint. I've gone through several cars ranging from late 80's to 2014's before getting the Mach-e and this car's paint is chipping a lot... After touching up the paint I plan on getting protectors for it.

Also @AOSK would you consider this normal? I've seen users recommend using 3M tape and removing whatever it comes with but that's mostly due to adhesion, not paint damage.
Hi,

We wouldnt consider this normal, and this is the first time we see something like this. we really want to figure out why this might happen on OP's car. Only the tape will touch the trunk surface when the spoiler is installed, ideally only tape residual will be left when you remove the spoiler.
I saw some comment about there might be some gap after installing and stone or dust might goes around, but it will require quite some amount of pressure to scratch the bottom paint. it doesnt feel like thats the case.
Some Owners mention that ford's paint might be fragile, but if the removal of tape could remove the OEM paint, then removal of PPF might become a serious issue?

@brayden_fuchs did you see any paint on the tape when you remove the spoiler? or any stone underneath? that would be a huge help for us to figure out why this is happening.

I am so sorry to see this happen on your Mach E:( lets figure out why.

Last edited:

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Yea no, this was not damaged from fishing line. The underside of the spoiler was not smooth.
Well I mean after you take it off with fishing line, no adhesive would be smooth.

As others have mentioned, fishing can surprisingly cause damage.

I use dental floss. It is a lot softer. Yes it will snap, but you just grab a new strand of floss and go from where you left off.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
If I could go back and redo one mod, it would be the Aosk spoiler and I probably would not even order at all. The tape is horrible and mine started loosening up a few months after the install. Waiting for the summer heat to come to remove it and try using 3M tape with it or throwing it in the trash. I skipped ordering the roof spoiler due to how unimpressed I am with this.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
If I could go back and redo one mod, it would be the Aosk spoiler and I probably would not even order at all. The tape is horrible and mine started loosening up a few months after the install. Waiting for the summer heat to come to remove it and try using 3M tape with it or throwing it in the trash. I skipped ordering the roof spoiler due to how unimpressed I am with this.
Mine has been installed since December of 2021 and has been rock solid, outside of the fact that it was shipped in three pieces and required assembly (don't get me started on that).

I cleaned every contact point on the car with 70% isopropyl alcohol twice, and once dry I heated each area up a little bit with a heat gun, and warmed the adhesive on the spoiler as well. Once attached, it hasn't wiggled. And I take my car through the self carwash once a week. I also drive as fast as 80mph (when passing) on the highway every weekend.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong in your installation, but your experience isn't typical.

Zigma51

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Microsoft
Country flag
Mine has been installed since December of 2021 and has been rock solid, outside of the fact that it was shipped in three pieces and required assembly (don't get me started on that).

I cleaned every contact point on the car with 70% isopropyl alcohol twice, and once dry I heated each area up a little bit with a heat gun, and warmed the adhesive on the spoiler as well. Once attached, it hasn't wiggled. And I take my car through the self carwash once a week. I also drive as fast as 80mph (when passing) on the highway every weekend.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong in your installation, but your experience isn't typical.
I cleaned the area with a glass cleaning foam, and so far it been holding great! but it is only a few weeks old so far. Keep a eye on my channel. I will post anything if somethings happens to it.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I ordered the AOSK Mach E rear door handles. They broke while trying to secure them to the car. ASOK replaced them, the new handles would not stay attached, finally tossed them in the trash. Good news, no damage to the car!
Sponsored