Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
And you really don't need to see that delivery truck driver reading his texts as he bearing down on you at a stoplight.

I like to see out the back window and really hope the Mach E has good visibility. That's one thing that annoyed me about not being able to sit in one, even briefly, at the Washington Auto Show. Looking forward to that test drive.
Um, I think you'll be able to see that 'truck bearing down on you at the stoplight' with an I-Pace. Hyperbole much? ;)

I do recall seeing a video taken inside the ME where the camera is briefly pointed to the rear window. It ain't no bargain either, but fear not, you should see that truck in the ME too. :rolleyes:

Even in this shot from the ME website, you can see that rear visibility is not going to be a strongpoint, just like most modern cars today.

usacgw01yywvs-leacmrj(a)(a)11my0int_24_0.png.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Um, I think you'll be able to see that 'truck bearing down on you at the stoplight' with an I-Pace. Hyperbole much? ;)

I do recall seeing a video taken inside the ME where the camera is briefly pointed to the rear window. It ain't no bargain either, but fear not, you should see that truck in the ME too. :rolleyes:

Even in this shot from the ME website, you can see that rear visibility is not going to be a strongpoint, just like most modern cars today.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K usacgw01yywvs-leacmrj(a)(a)11my0int_24_0.pn
Gee, that is one tiny porthole! Also, maybe it’s me but those rear seats don’t look like they’d be very comfortable.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Viewing from the front in renderings and in person makes me think the view out the back pretty well. No, nothing like the view through that huge back window of my pickup, but much better than some recent cars I've tried (early Juke, mid-2010s VW bug).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K Screenshot 2020-05-07 12.15.26
Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K IMG_5187

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah yes, renderings, we know how accurate those are. Again, the video I recall showed a limited visibility. It's easy to see from the exterior that it won't be great. In fact the pictures of the I-Pace and the ME aren't all that much different if you focus on the rear window.

The bottom line is that in neither case will it be a deal-break.

I've got my test drive either tomorrow or Saturday, so I'm pretty jazzed about it.

Last edited:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a frame grab from one video I found. As you can see, it does not resemble the artist renderings, not even close. As I've said on a few occasions, these renderings are near useless. The actual rear visibility is pretty much like most modern cars, not great. It might be a bit better than the I-Pace, but from a practical standpoint, for everyday driving, pretty much irrelevant to me. I'll be depending on backup cameras & rear cross traffic alerts for anything of any significance.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.48.12 PM

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gee, that is one tiny porthole! Also, maybe it’s me but those rear seats don’t look like they’d be very comfortable.
It does look quite different than the I-Pace picture below. The I-Pace rear does look more comfortable, but I'll know better shortly.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.59.20 PM.png

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Here's a frame grab from one video I found. As you can see, it does not resemble the artist renderings, not even close. As I've said on a few occasions, these renderings are near useless. The actual rear visibility is pretty much like most modern cars, not great. It might be a bit better than the I-Pace, but from a practical standpoint, for everyday driving, pretty much irrelevant to me. I'll be depending on backup cameras & rear cross traffic alerts for anything of any significance.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.48.12 PM.png
I agree it's not a large rear view window. But I think this angle is a bit more representative.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K 1588881762323

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still not great, but if we were buying these things based on good rear visibility, very few cars would be sold. ;)

In my grab I wanted to show the bottom most extent of the window.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In fact the pictures of the I-Pace and the ME aren't all that much different if you focus on the rear window.
I agree. I took a demo test ride in the iPace at the Washington Auto Show (driven by professional driver). I actually thought the rear window visibility looked pretty good.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. I took a demo test ride in the iPace at the Washington Auto Show (driven by professional driver). I actually thought the rear window visibility looked pretty good.
It would be nice if you're right, but we shall see. I just haven't been impressed with rear visibility on any car I've owned in the last 20 years. Fortunately the rear view camera and especially the rear cross traffic alert are fantastic. Without them there would be far more accidents.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I don't know guys. When I drove the i-Pace, I don't remember thinking "Oh, the rear window visibility is good/bad/mediocre/whatever". I guess it was more or less like other cars. And I don't see why it should matter much anyway.

As a side note, I think the i-Pace is a fantastic car, I've said so before. And it drives beautifully.

Also, keep in mind it has 400 horsepower and a 0-60 of 4.5, which the non-GT MME does not. So it's not "fair" to compare its range to the non-GT MME.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Also, keep in mind it has 400 horsepower and a 0-60 of 4.5, which the non-GT MME does not. So it's not "fair" to compare its range to the non-GT MME.
So a more fair comparison would be the 459 hp, sub 4 sec 0-60, and 250 mile range GT....

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know guys. When I drove the i-Pace, I don't remember thinking "Oh, the rear window visibility is good/bad/mediocre/whatever". I guess it was more or less like other cars. And I don't see why it should matter much anyway.

As a side note, I think the i-Pace is a fantastic car, I've said so before. And it drives beautifully.

Good points. I may be alone, but I feel there’s also a luxury component that exceeds some of the competition. To me that’s a major selling point.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
i've been in the back of an i-pace. the materials are definitely top-notch and nicer than a tesla3 for sure.

but it felt cramped, especially with the front seat set for me (6', 34" inseam)

It does look quite different than the I-Pace picture below. The I-Pace rear does look more comfortable, but I'll know better shortly.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Audi Q4 e-tron, starting at 45K 1588881762323

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
agree, the seats look very flat with little bolstering or cushioning. will reserve judgment until sitting in them...

not a deal breaker, as front seat comfort is more critical.

but disappointed nonetheless.

Also, maybe it’s me but those rear seats don’t look like they’d be very comfortable.
Sponsored