Plug and Charge Working!! (was avoid plug and charge for now)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I found that the entire charging curve is a bit depressed on 150 kW chargers. Do you see that? I've only tried a couple of 150s though.
of course they are depressed. they are sad they aren't the 350 kW chargers.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I found that the entire charging curve is a bit depressed on 150 kW chargers. Do you see that? I've only tried a couple of 150s though.
I still have not gotten a 350kw charger to work. I also haven't had to use DCFC since its warmed up and I can get anywhere I need to go without stopping.

The highest I've seen my car hit so far is only 91kw. I need to plan a trip somewhere just to test out charging with it being warm out.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
230 miles around on the belt road though. This is why an ER AWD MME was mandatory. :p

Fuzzy logic FTW.
Only need SR range with the malasada stop.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I still have not gotten a 350kw charger to work. I also haven't had to use DCFC since its warmed up and I can get anywhere I need to go without stopping.

The highest I've seen my car hit so far is only 91kw. I need to plan a trip somewhere just to test out charging with it being warm out.
Interesting. 350s have worked for me. I may try more 150s just to see the difference, though.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Interesting. 350s have worked for me. I may try more 150s just to see the difference, though.
The one time I tried fast charging at EA, I had 2 failures on 350 stations and one failure on a 150 station. ?‍♂

You'll need the extra torque from the AWD ER to get going after a stop at Punalu`u Bakery Mark. Logic. :p
I didn't officially measure, but the AWD ER that I have feels faster than the AWD SR that I tested. I know it is supposed to be faster, but I was curious if I could actually feel the difference and I do. I am really looking forward to testing a GT. That must be crazy.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I fast charged for the first time yesterday on a EA 150KW Charger through Ford Plug-In and it worked perfect. It saw my car and authorized it with almost no interaction. I started at 48% charge and got up to 80% in about 29 minutes (106 miles of added range at 33KW added). Woodfield Mall EA Chargers. So it was a good experience for me. I never got above 90KW and averaged about 80KW speeds.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
@OutofSpecKyle talked about it on this week's Inside EVs podcast.

his argument was a bit bizarre to be honest.

"imagine releasing an F-250 you couldn't put diesel in to" so an F-250 can pay for gas without interacting with the pump?

Plug and charge is clearly not there yet, but suggesting that is the same as not being able to charge at all is just weird. Especially since charging on the way back in the worked just fine with the EA app.

now, the idea that the charging curve is not sufficient or whatever is a different argument, and Tom gets into that a little bit, but that's not saying the same thing.

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Smart ForTwo ED, BMW i3
Country flag
his argument was a bit bizarre to be honest.

"imagine releasing an F-250 you couldn't put diesel in to" so an F-250 can pay for gas without interacting with the pump?

Plug and charge is clearly not there yet, but suggesting that is the same as not being able to charge at all is just weird. Especially since charging on the way back in the worked just fine with the EA app.

now, the idea that the charging curve is not sufficient or whatever is a different argument, and Tom gets into that a little bit, but that's not saying the same thing.
Your average buyer wouldn’t know to not use P&C and instead activate with EA app. I’m saying if a normal person, on this software version plugs in their Mustang, based on my testing and experience, they will not be able to seamlessly charge. Imagine having the fueling pump stop over and over and having to wait multiple minutes standing outside for it to reconnect - just unacceptable.
This isn’t to say I don’t like the car, just that this wasn’t sorted before launch

Kyle

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Your average buyer wouldn’t know to not use P&C and instead activate with EA app. I’m saying if a normal person, on this software version plugs in their Mustang, based on my testing and experience, they will not be able to seamlessly charge. Imagine having the fueling pump stop over and over and having to wait multiple minutes standing outside for it to reconnect - just unacceptable.
This isn’t to say I don’t like the car, just that this wasn’t sorted before launch

Kyle
While I agree, that presumes the average buyer has been able to get P&C *turned on* which from the number of posts on here and lack of dealer knowledge, I bet a large portion of owners are spared the P&C issue simply because nobody at the dealer helps them register for P&C.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Kyle
Yeah, if P&C wasn’t sorted, it probably should have been held back and activated through OTA later. I’m really starting to think VW has a good reason for not including it on the ID.4 at launch. @OutofSpecKyle, have you been able to test P&C on a 2021 Taycan to see if it works any better?
Sponsored