Bad Dealer Experience, Purchased out of Spite.

daverp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4, MME Premium (On order)
Occupation
Software
Country flag
It's a different world, you'll see something change and the reason for the model E business division. How it's always been doesn't mean that's how it will always be. No industry is meant to last forever.

We'll see, I likely won't buy another Ford, so I may never know
Don't disagree but they say all politics is local and in individual state districts the dealers are the big boys to those politicians.
Sponsored

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Don't disagree but they say all politics is local and in individual state districts the dealers are the big boys to those politicians.
The Auto market in particular is highly corrupt, more than the old "sleezy used car sales man" days.

Large corporations like Cox Automotive, AutoNation, Penske etc .. are buying up all the dealerships, and KBB, JD power, NADA to manipulate car prices. It's only a matter of time before they consolidate and reduce operating expenses associated with so many building and employees.

daverp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4, MME Premium (On order)
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The Auto market in particular is highly corrupt, more than the old "sleezy used car sales man" days.

Large corporations like Cox Automotive, AutoNation, Penske etc .. are buying up all the dealerships, and KBB, JD power, NADA to manipulate car prices. It's only a matter of time before they consolidate and reduce operating expenses associated with so many building and employees.
Now you're arguing why dealers won't go away. Large conglomerates hold even more sway in preventing the laws changing. They are not going to lobby to put themselves out of business. Exact reason Tesla couldn't event get a bill to come up for a vote in Texas

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Now you're arguing why dealers won't go away. Large conglomerates hold even more sway in preventing the laws changing. They are not going to lobby to put themselves out of business. Exact reason Tesla couldn't event get a bill to come up for a vote in Texas
Nope, just pointing out a reason why auto manufacturers would want to get away from the dealer model and how corrupt the dealership model is today. These conglomerates are doing exactly what dealership laws where intended to block. At the end of the day, the customer loses.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Tesla wasnā€™t forced to go with dealerships because they didnā€™t have any to start with. A handful of states wonā€™t let Tesla operate because of that, but most they are effectively ā€˜grandfathered-outā€™ of the franchise dealership model. Because Ford and other major makers already had dealers, they are legally forced to stick with those.
Teslaā€™s canā€™t be sold new in CT. I think all cars sold without dealerships also canā€™t be sold new in CT. CT buyers get delivery in NY. Strong lobby and laws.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hate to say this guys but Ford really, really, really does not care about us. (plz don't try to respond to me with the bs slap on the wrist jim farley is pretending to do to dealerships)
The manufacturer (Ford) isn't selling you the car, the retailer is (the dealership).

People seem to think the manufacturer can override the retailer on customer sales. They can't. They can influence them some with allocations, but that's about it.

hyrulianruffio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e select , 2012 CR-V
Occupation
I.T.
Country flag
Teslaā€™s canā€™t be sold new in CT. I think all cars sold without dealerships also canā€™t be sold new in CT. CT buyers get delivery in NY. Strong lobby and laws.
The way it works in Texas with Tesla is that you "buy" the car in California and everything is processed there, and then it is delivered to one of their facilities here. Kind of funny since they have a plant in Austin, but that is Texan Idiocracy for you.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Its a dying business model and they are floundering

I can not wait until my rivian is finally ready so I can dump ford completely.
What happened to you sucks for sure.

But what makes you think Rivian will treat you any better?

Did you miss earlier this year where Rivian tried to raise the price of their cars by $12-14k on all PRE-ORDERS??

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/rivian-price-hike/amp

They only rolled it back when everyone lost their minds and they caved to pressureā€¦ā€¦ but kept the insane price hike on all new orders.

When it comes to price and playing games, manufacturer direct isnā€™t necessarily any better.

At least with the dealer model you have choiceā€¦ā€¦ to find a better dealer.

Manufacturer direct? Everyone gets screwed equally.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I ordered my MME in Febā€™21 and took delivery in Augā€™21. This was before the BS people go through now over price protection and large ADMā€™s. My dealer changed ownership in Mayā€™21 but they kept my deal and honored my x-plan pricing. No add-ons, no ADM, no BS. For me the dealer was great but they had never done Options financing before. They spent time on the phone having Ford Credit teach them. The 2 hour close was worth it. It gave time for the MME to charge.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
What happened to you sucks for sure.

But what makes you think Rivian will treat you any better?

Did you miss earlier this year where Rivian tried to raise the price of their cars by $12-14k on all PRE-ORDERS??

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/rivian-price-hike/amp

They only rolled it back when everyone lost their minds and they caved to pressureā€¦ā€¦ but kept the insane price hike on all new orders.

When it comes to price and playing games, manufacturer direct isnā€™t necessarily any better.

At least with the dealer model you have choiceā€¦ā€¦ to find a better dealer.

Manufacturer direct? Everyone gets screwed equally.
Rivian rolled my price back. Ford also keeps raising prices, a 2023 Premium extended range AWD is $10k more than it was in 2021 and Ford offers a shitty feature set and having need having high warranty cost.

You don't have a choice to pick another dealer when you waited 10 months. Fuck the dealers !

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rivian rolled my price back. Ford also keeps raising prices, a 2023 Premium extended range AWD is $10k more than it was in 2021 and Ford offers a shitty feature set and having need having high warranty cost.

You don't have a choice to pick another dealer when you waited 10 months. Fuck the dealers !
The problem is the massive time lag that exists now between pre-ordering a car and actually buying it. Combined with the insane inflation we're seeing now. The car is literally worth 10% more 10 months later.

This wouldn't be an issue if there were inventory for same-day sales.

Last edited:

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag
My dealership experience was also a nightmare. Spent about 3 hours at the dealer and the good news is we made it home with our car, but getting there was not easy.

It started with Ford Options, where the salesman told me the incentive was $2000 and I could not get the $2500 that was available at the time of ordering. I knew PP and X-plan were gonna be difficult at this moment. Finally the finance guy gave us the $2500 because he was aware you could do time of order or when you take delivery.

Next came PP and X-plan. I was presented with two prices, one X-plan and one price protection, saying ā€œlook thereā€™s only a few hundred dollar difference.ā€ I then explained it was over a thousand dollar difference because it should be X-plan on sticker, then remove price protection which was only $1000 for our model. The salesman was emphatic that he could only do X-Plan or price Protection and not both. I gave them the ford memo, explained it a few times, but I wasnt getting through. Kept getting told ford wonā€™t cut them a check for both X-plan and PP. Finally I said, okay look, if you donā€™t think we can do X-plan and get PP, letā€™s do thisā€¦ you sell me the vehicle for X-plan off the non-protected price, then you write in my contract if you get the pp check from ford that you say you wonā€™t get, you cut that check to me. I figured itā€™s a no risk situation for them if they really think the check wonā€™t come. He said he didnā€™t know if he could do that, then the finance manager who was listening came over and finally said he could do both.

It was not a pleasant experience, but I got the price I wanted. Though I did have to turn down their highly recommended $2800 down from $4000 extended warranty. I donā€™t feel too bad, they sold 3 Mach Es earlier that day at $12,500 ADM each.
Sponsored