Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
A few words about range.

If you are driving long distance you will need to use level 3 DC fast charge. It charges fast while the battery is less than 80% then it slows down a lot so that's when you stop charging. 80% of 300 miles gives us 240 miles of range in this situation.

Now lets say its cold outside and you have the heater on, its uphill and against the wind. All worst case but it could happen. Miles per kWh will be reduced by maybe another 20%. Now the range with all these less than optimal conditions is maybe 180 miles.

I can probably make it to another charger along the way with 180 miles of range so that's one reason I want 300 miles of range in optimal conditions.

It is correct that you can draw more current from a bigger battery. The current from each cell is the same but it has more cells. Dual motors are thirsty when gunned. That's why the dual motor AWD cars have bigger battery packs.

Higher voltage is more efficient. The current will be lower for the same wattage, reducing losses. I have not heard what battery voltage Ford will use. Porsche is developing 800V battery packs and drive systems.
Sponsored

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
A few words about range.

If you are driving long distance you will need to use level 3 DC fast charge. It charges fast while the battery is less than 80% then it slows down a lot so that's when you stop charging. 80% of 300 miles gives us 240 miles of range in this situation.

Now lets say its cold outside and you have the heater on, its uphill and against the wind. All worst case but it could happen. Miles per kWh will be reduced by maybe another 20%. Now the range with all these less than optimal conditions is maybe 180 miles.

I can probably make it to another charger along the way with 180 miles of range so that's one reason I want 300 miles of range in optimal conditions.

It is correct that you can draw more current from a bigger battery. The current from each cell is the same but it has more cells. Dual motors are thirsty when gunned. That's why the dual motor AWD cars have bigger battery packs.

Higher voltage is more efficient. The current will be lower for the same wattage, reducing losses. I have not heard what battery voltage Ford will use. Porsche is developing 800V battery packs and drive systems.
Very good explanation thank you.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know...that's a lot of surfaces air can catch. I suspect a much more aerodynamic front end as EV's don't need air for cooling an engine.
That's thankfully just a terrible photoshop the real Mach E won't look anything like that.

ToadStool

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E GT
Country flag
What does everyone think of this Mach E rendering? Too much Mustang influence or just right?

I have to admit it looks good but if I were a Mustang owner I might think that front end is too similar.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Mach E Rendering? 1654442173537

Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Mach E Rendering? 1654442079424

This are both quite nice. But I'd lean toward this white one with the wheels from the black one.