Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
Will Blue Cruise apply emergency braking levels if the traffic ahead stops dead? Will it evade someone who is trying to merge into you from the left or right side? Or is the driver responsible for these evasive manuevers?
That's a very, very good line of questions! I'm going to assume 'NO' when I use it on my GT (whenever it comes)! I would never trust an AI program to fully manage emergency or evasive driving maneuvers. No coding application can predict another human's actions on the road. Unless my car can "talk" to the other car's AI, we'll be in better shape... similar to commercial plane's TCAS systems. Remember, we're all doing a very dangerous dance on the road every time we drive. Don't let any assistance software fool you into turning any less attention away from the road. Will I take advantage of the assistance goodies including Blue Cruise... Sure! I'll still be 100% focused on "the dance."
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Will Blue Cruise apply emergency braking levels if the traffic ahead stops dead? Will it evade someone who is trying to merge into you from the left or right side? Or is the driver responsible for these evasive manuevers?
You, the driver, are 100% responsible for your vehicle's maneuvers 100% of the time.

BlueCruise is only an enhancement and extension of the vehicle's "Co-Pilot 360" driver assistance systems.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
BC would apply braking, then emergency braking, when it senses traffic slowing or stopped ahead. That is part of the adaptive cruise control already.

BC will not attempt evasive maneuvers. Once the merging vehicle is identified as being in the lane ahead braking to re-establish the set following distance would begin. Emergency braking would begin if the crash avoidance systems deem it necessary to avoid impact. During that process BC will try to maintain position within the lane.

There is Evasive Steering Assist that helps the driver maintain control once the driver takes control of the steering in an attempt to avoid a collision.

https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/evasive-steering-assist/

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That is a huge let down if it is a reoccurring subscription, because like otherwise I didn't see this mentioned anywhere when purchasing mine
As far as I’ve seen since BC was first announced in 2020 Ford has always stated it was a 3 year sub.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
which is hilarious because other people getting their cars delivered now just have it. Can't have early access if it's just out now
Came here to say this. I've been waiting and nagging the Early Access team and I haven't heard crap.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
The copilot 360 package is a technology package that enables various forms of advanced cruise control, blind spot alerts, lane keeping, evasive maneuvering, parking assist, and allows for BlueCruise. You are not required to have BlueCruise unless you have a very recent build. And in any event, you're not required to use it or renew it. In my case, the package has far more that interests me than hands-free Intelligent Cruise Control.

Plus a $200 per year price tag for hands free and the various things it requires (road and software updates) doesn't seem terribly excessive.
I was thinking exactly what Kam said regarding the ongoing subscription price. While yes, "it's software," it's software that has to be continually maintained and updated by Ford. We're all going to want more than the 130,000-ish miles of coverage it's launching with, so that requires Ford (or its contractors) to keep mapping new regions with the LIDAR-equipped cars. That's an ongoing expense. Also, they're going to have to go BACK over all the previously mapped segments at regular intervals to account for changing road development. That's an ongoing expense, too. So, asking the users of this service to purchase as a subscription is to help defray the ongoing costs of its use. Nobody WANTS to keep paying for it, but if we didn't, it would end-up being a loss item on the books for Ford, and loss items get cut. We really don't want that.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I like the layout of the dash and screen better on the F150 than the Mach E. I don't understand why the same car Manufacturer has to make such drastic changes for each model when they should spend the money making the same format work amazingly on all cars.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I like the layout of the dash and screen better on the F150 than the Mach E. I don't understand why the same car Manufacturer has to make such drastic changes for each model when they should spend the money making the same format work amazingly on all cars.
We have a Mach-e. We also have a 2020 F-150 Raptor. I prefer the mach-e layout, dash, and screen when I'm driving the Mach-e. I prefer the F-150 layout when I drive that. I fail to see the problem or issue.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Mach-e style and will do so when I convert my Lightning reservation to an order.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I applied to be a beta tester for Blue Cruise, but haven't heard back about how to activate it. Is it possible I have it and don't know it. I don't have intelligent cruise turned on because it slams the brakes in construction zones. I suspect that needs to be on along with lane keeping. Anything else?
Turn off intelligent cruise and use adaptive cruise instead. I had the same problem until I changed the type of cruise control.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I assume you mean you signed up for early access. There is no beta testing program. No one that signed up for EA has reported they actually received BC.
I sure hope ICC doesn't need to be turned on for BC to work. I'm not interested in the car reading speed limit signs for me.
I applied to be a beta tester for Blue Cruise, but haven't heard back about how to activate it. Is it possible I have it and don't know it. I don't have intelligent cruise turned on because it slams the brakes in construction zones. I suspect that needs to be on along with lane keeping. Anything else?
Early Access is a beta testing program that Ford doesn’t call a beta testing program, except in the case of BlueCruise where Ford isn’t using it as a beta testing program but only as a means of getting a lot of people signed up to spend $600 on a product they can’t test ahead of time. But in no event will the Early Access Program give you early access to BlueCruise. For that you have to buy a GT because OTA updates won’t be ready until Q2 2021. Software is hard. I hope that clears things up for you.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Also correct. The one thing I think we're safe in presuming is that it won't be $10,000 upfront plus $199 per month. ;)
Just a quick correction... If you pay upfront for FSD there is no monthly.

PonyTail

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium RWD Red; 2018 Lexus es
Country flag
So got a chance to take my Mach on a short 50 miles trip and 50 back and tried the Blue Cruise and so far very impressed and amazed by accuracy and simplicity of it all.

The only thing missing is the lack of ability to change lanes ( which apparently is coming with a software update!) , but other than that the system was flawless …
Thanks for the review. I have had adaptive cruise control and lane assist on my 2018 Lexus ES 300 hybrid. It took me a while to trust the cruise control. It doesn’t monitor speed limits but it does maintain the consistent distance between you and the car in front of you. You have 3 distance levels to choose from in terms of distance maintained. I also love the rear cross traffic alert feature. I would never have another car without those two options. But lane assist, if you rely on it, will get you pulled over for drunk driving.
30 to 60 minute drives on SoCal freeways and 3+ hour drives to Vegas are so nice now, although it doesn’t work in stop and go traffic. Ugh! I think it stops at about 30 mph. I hate driving my husband‘s truck now without it. I still pay attention. I still have my hands on the wheel.
So I first ordered a Tesla Y with FSD, then heard about the MME and bc. Looking forward to a delivery around the end of the year.

Last edited:

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Just a quick correction... If you pay upfront for FSD there is no monthly.
it's either or, if you didn't order it up front and pay the $10k, you can subscribe on a monthly basis and pay $199/mo.

so if you only need it for a month to do a major road trip, you can just add it for that month.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Question for those of you have BC or tried BC: How do you find what highways are BC capable?
Sponsored