Buying/Leasing Mach-E Mustang - Carbuzz Article

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Planning To Buy A Ford Mustang Mach-E? Know This First
The Ford Mustang Mach-E is, perhaps, the Blue Oval's biggest and most important new vehicle debut in years, perhaps this decade. The all-electric crossover represents Ford's future in so many ways. Technology, design, and performance and handling are the main factors and Ford will be judged as to whether the final product delivers on all levels and then some. The stakes couldn't be higher. So far, the public's reaction has been solid with approximately 32,000 pre-order reservations and counting. Not bad for a vehicle that only debut in late November and whose final pricing has not been announced.

And speaking of pricing, anyone who has or is considering purchasing a Mach-E needs to be aware of something that's likely to happen: dealership markups. A member of the Mach-E Club forum recently spoke to Jason Mase, who is in charge of Ford's electrification marketing strategy, about various Mach-E-related topics, among them pricing.

A direct question was asked regarding the possibility of markups even for current reservation holders and Mase confirmed that since Ford doesn't set pricing, it's ultimately up to dealers to decide. Remember, Ford, like every automaker, issues a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for dealerships to go by, but they can adjust it as they see fit. Markups are not uncommon, especially for highly sought after new vehicles.

The Dodge Challenger SRT Demon was one such markup victim. Even the Toyota Supra, which is not being built in limited numbers like the Demon, experienced some insane dealer-imposed price increases. In one case, a Supra First Edition was listed for over $100,000.

Mase also stated Ford will soon be contacting customers who've placed reservations to confirm their vehicle's specs. At that time, they can change things such as color, RWD to AWD, and battery pack size if they so choose.

Once the reservation gets turned into an order, Ford will refund the deposit. However, if the dealer where the order is booked requires a deposit, then refunding the money will be up to them. Males also confirmed the following: "Very soon we'll update the website to include more product detail. We'll also be emailing and communicating with anyone who has a reservation about the product, some of the cool insights and next steps in the ordering process."

Also, Ford will debut a new lease-type allowing buyers to either use the federal EV tax incentive to spread out across the monthly fee or use it all at once on their taxes.

https://carbuzz.com/news/planning-to-buy-a-ford-mustang-mach-e-know-this-first
Interesting article. Curious how the flexible lease option will work since it seems to state that owners will have the option to take the tax break over the life of the lease or take it in a lump sum at tax time.

It also sounds like we will be getting more details soon. I found the original Q&A thread on Mach E Club and it says that Reservation holders will be contacted in Q1 with additional details on ordering and options that weren’t previously available.

It also sounds like the level of commitment you experience when placing a final order (I.e. refundable vs nonrefundable deposits) will be be based on your dealer and not governed by Ford.

They also accept GT deliveries to start in late spring/early summer 2021, so doesn’t look like we should expect them in Q1 (such a long wait).

one more tidbit is that reservation holders may be able to change their reservation to a first edition if First Edition Reservation holders back out. However the Ford guy didn’t provide additional details as to what that process would look like.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
(Sorry, my original reply was out of context. Deleted and replaced, below.)

Yeah, I can't wait to see more info from Ford. I'm planning to purchase (not lease), but want to see what else they have to say about the process.

Last edited:

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/planning-to-buy-a-ford-mustang-mach-e-know-this-first

Interesting article. Curious how the flexible lease option will work since it seems to state that owners will have the option to take the tax break over the life of the lease or take it in a lump sum at tax time.
When I leased an Audi A3 e-tron three years ago, Audi reduced the lease amount by the federal credit amount, which lowered the monthly lease payment. I hope Ford has that type of arrangement.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When I leased an Audi A3 e-tron three years ago, Audi reduced the lease amount by the federal credit amount, which lowered the monthly lease payment. I hope Ford has that type of arrangement.
Ford did that for both my Focus Electric, and my C-Max Energi.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Ford won't initially have a traditional lease available (at least until after the federal tax credits expire is my guess). The 'Ford Options' that has been disclosed is 'lease like' but the vehicle is titled in your name so you get the tax credits (separately from your financing).

I'd like to know the source of that information in the article about a new lease product since I've never heard of it in our weekly check-point meetings. A new program that complicated would have come up.

More on Ford Options here in this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/lease-program-details-for-mach-e-leasing.130/post-2302

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd like to know the source of that information in the article about a new lease product since I've never heard of it in our weekly check-point meetings. A new program that complicated would have come up.
Why complicated? With Audi it was very simple. BMW does the same thing. Ford Options sounds a lot more complicated.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Why complicated? With Audi it was very simple. BMW does the same thing. Ford Options sounds a lot more complicated.
Sorry, not complicated for the customer. Complicated for the finance company. It takes a lot of work behind the scenes to make it easy for the customer.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
They also accept GT deliveries to start in late spring/early summer 2021, so doesn’t look like we should expect them in Q1 (such a long wait).
Not what I wanted to read this Monday morning. That really is a long time. I’d started hoping that Q1 was conservative and we’d start seeing some early deliveries of GTs by year-end. Summer 2021? Oooof.
With the Y now coming out more than one year before the Ford, it gets harder and harder to wait.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
With the Y now coming out more than one year before the Ford, it gets harder and harder to wait.
which is EXACTLY why Tesla moved up the schedule

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford won't initially have a traditional lease available (at least until after the federal tax credits expire is my guess). The 'Ford Options' that has been disclosed is 'lease like' but the vehicle is titled in your name so you get the tax credits (separately from your financing).

More on Ford Options here in this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/lease-program-details-for-mach-e-leasing.130/post-2302
And this is exactly my problem with the way ford is doing it. Either officially release credible information or don't say anything. This heresay, "reporter" interpretation of non-answers, and half-baked unofficial discussions with execs are just compounding the confusion.
Sponsored