Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So I think I know the answer to this, but still curious anyways.

I just started using the departure times after getting my L2 installed. Today I happened to look at the app before I unplugged and it showed it using 76kWh for a 33% charge, that seems a bit excessive...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cabin Conditioning Power Consumption IMG_1254 (2).PNG

When you do cabin preconditioning does it suck the living life out of your wall outlet???

I'm curious if conditioning could potentially use that much power in a short amount of time, or if this app is just bugged. I'm considering just turning it off as I don't plug in every day anyways. The app gives you some warning saying if you don't have your car plugged in that departure times can drain your battery.. And yet if the car is not plugged in, it won't even do the cabin conditioning... Before the L2 install I would just remote start 5 minutes before I left and the cabin was fine. I'd much rather just remote start the car for 5 minutes vs having an absurd amount of power pulled and getting billed for it. I just though having it automated would make life easier.

***As I was typing this bit I happened to look at my message. It looks like the stupid thing pre conditioned at 4:11 in the morning, or at least I think that is what this means. Guess that explains why my car was not conditioned on Tuesday, stupid thing did it in the middle of the night! I set the departure times (07:30) inside the car, there is no way the phone has different departure times***
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cabin Conditioning Power Consumption IMG_1261

OP
OP
Kabish

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Bill, the app is just bugged.

I thought after 276 posts this would be old news for you. ?
I mean I thought that could be the answer, but I have no idea how much power is pulled for conditioning. I know that car is ice cold when we get in it lol

I could look at the charge logs, but imagin that, they don’t show total kWh.

Today my 11yr old, with a learning disability mind you, was looking at my trip screen cause I said I’d been in the car for 1.5hrs. “How much power did you lose, the percentage?” I dunno it does not say that “Well that’s stupid”.

Funny but sad at the same time.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Today my 11yr old, with a learning disability mind you, was looking at my trip screen cause I said I’d been in the car for 1.5hrs. “How much power did you lose, the percentage?” I dunno it does not say that “Well that’s stupid”.
You can TOTALLY answer this one for your son. He's too young to drive so from where he's sitting in the car, he probably can't see the left edge of your instrument cluster... But you can -- let him know the % state of charge when you first get in the car... And then when he asks how much power is lost, let him know the current % state of charge and he can subtract one from the other.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have no idea how much power is pulled for conditioning
I'm not sure either... But certainly not 76 kWh.

My EVSE keeps track of energy usage from the wall. This number is higher than what the MME will report for itself, due to conversion and storage losses from the wall to the battery...

That being said... If I plug in the car while the vehicle is very hot on a high temperature day, and I allow it to condition itself but not charge, then I've observed that it will use something like 0.5 to maybe 2.0 kWh of energy as measured by the EVSE in a 30 minute time period. (I don't remember the exact figures, but it was close to that sort of range.) The fans are very loud during this time and much heat can be felt from the front radiator.

After 30 minutes, the conditioning cycle stops... everything goes quiet and I assume it's pulling basically no power at that point.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Preconditioning will draw about 2-5 kW depending on the ambient temps. The consumption would also ramp down as the interior temp gets to set point. In a 30 minute period that's only going to consume 1-2 kWh of electricity typically.

OP
OP
Kabish

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
let him know the % state of charge when you first get in the car
Unless I just unplugged it and know its 80%, I have no idea what the actual percentage I start with lol I look at the miles and if its over 100 that is all I pay attention too. If its below 100, then I look at the percentage and calculate my estimated range.

Why can't they include the percent used in the trip info.. Would make it easier for new EV owners to get a general idea on how much power is used given their driving conditions or given style for that trip. Car is missing so much data that could be really helpful IMO. Maybe the majority of people just don't care. I have a feeling though that most "early adopters" are fairly techy and would appreciate the additional info. At least give us the dang current charging rate, the data is there, its just not displayed anyplace which is DUMB!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Unless I just unplugged it and know its 80%, I have no idea what the actual percentage I start with lol I look at the miles and if its over 100 that is all I pay attention too. If its below 100, then I look at the percentage and calculate my estimated range.

Why can't they include the percent used in the trip info.. Would make it easier for new EV owners to get a general idea on how much power is used given their driving conditions or given style for that trip. Car is missing so much data that could be really helpful IMO. Maybe the majority of people just don't care. I have a feeling though that most "early adopters" are fairly techy and would appreciate the additional info. At least give us the dang current charging rate, the data is there, its just not displayed anyplace which is DUMB!
It's displayed at the left most edge of your instrument cluster, or as a giant progress bar type gauge in the middle of the instrument cluster, whenever the car is powered on.

If yours is showing the giant progress bar thing instead of a numerical display, this means you're in Engage driving mode and have also turned off several of the driver assistance features (route navigation, forward distance indicator, lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise control).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
So I think I know the answer to this, but still curious anyways.

I just started using the departure times after getting my L2 installed. Today I happened to look at the app before I unplugged and it showed it using 76kWh for a 33% charge, that seems a bit excessive...

When you do cabin preconditioning does it suck the living life out of your wall outlet???

I'm curious if conditioning could potentially use that much power in a short amount of time, or if this app is just bugged. I'm considering just turning it off as I don't plug in every day anyways. The app gives you some warning saying if you don't have your car plugged in that departure times can drain your battery.. And yet if the car is not plugged in, it won't even do the cabin conditioning... Before the L2 install I would just remote start 5 minutes before I left and the cabin was fine. I'd much rather just remote start the car for 5 minutes vs having an absurd amount of power pulled and getting billed for it. I just though having it automated would make life easier.

***As I was typing this bit I happened to look at my message. It looks like the stupid thing pre conditioned at 4:11 in the morning, or at least I think that is what this means. Guess that explains why my car was not conditioned on Tuesday, stupid thing did it in the middle of the night! I set the departure times (07:30) inside the car, there is no way the phone has different departure times***
Here’s my precondition session from this morning (set to warm) on the right compared to the normal charging at night (9.4 kW) on the left.

ChargePoint Home Flex 14-50 plug in on 50 amp circuit.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cabin Conditioning Power Consumption 589613EA-2632-450C-BF99-CD57DD31CBB3

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My app has showed 56kwh used after being plugged in for 5 minutes before. I have learned to not even look at those numbers from the app. I only look at what my EVSE reports went through it.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
My app has showed 56kwh used after being plugged in for 5 minutes before. I have learned to not even look at those numbers from the app. I only look at what my EVSE reports went through it.
Some apps use global timestamps, some don't... guess which one this is.

OP
OP
Kabish

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I only look at what my EVSE reports went through it.
Yup the main reason why I want a aftermarket charger. I’ll be getting one after we move, but until then I have to deal with this garbage software. I just did not know the kWh would show wrong. I’ve never seen them wrong prior to the L2 install.

Car threw another error saying it could not get to 80% when I parked again. It’s at 64% so I just plugged it in to hopefully make it stop alerting me incorrectly. So annoying.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Some apps use global timestamps, some don't... guess which one this is.
Both, clearly! ?

I've also seen symptoms that suggest FordPass will read a timestamp from a prior log entry while the current log entry is incomplete (e.g. entry isn't "completed") until the charge coupler is disconnected).

OP
OP
Kabish

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I swear this car finds a new way to annoy me daily.

Yesterday I got a message saying my departure times were synched... No idea why because I've not changed them. I checked the times when I parked and it was set to 07:30 like its supposed to be.

Imagen my surprise when I checked my phone this morning and it said the cabin conditioning was completed at 5 something this morning!!!! Then to make things better, when I did go to my car this morning it was in the process of conditioning even though the app just was saying the target charge was complete.

So was my car running from 5 to 7:30 in the morning, we will never know.... Zero excuse for this BS Ford!!

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think it's great that the car takes care of itself.
Sponsored