Camping Mode

BobinaBillows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus ST 2016
Country flag
I love car camping, and I do tend to sleep in my car during long road trips at rest-stops. So being this is an electric car it does have an advantage of being basically a giant battery to power devices and keep the A/C at a constant and comfortable temperature. Does anybody have any knowledge as to whether this will have a "camp mode" like Tesla's do? I feel like this would be a really awesome feature to have within such a "smart" vehicle such as the Mach-E. Also does anyone know whether the vehicle will have a heat pump?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
No heat pump for sure. That has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. What does “camp mode” do on the Tesla? Does the car make S’mores?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
It will probably have camp mode. Team Edison has said they bought a Tesla to copy features. I just hope they actually add innovative features and not just copy Tesla's features. Anyone can copy. Guess we will see soon when demo cars are available.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Just watched a video on it. That is pretty cool. And if you had an actual campground where you could plug in on a long trip, you could probably eliminate the battery usage, or at least cut it down. Not sure that the wife would like it, but I would. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-camp-mode-review/

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Camp mode basically makes the AC/heating works but all other functions are not possible like starting the car buy pushing the start button accidentally. So it just saves energy not allowing anything working except AC/Heat, maybe the radio.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Start button are so "old fashion" ;) Left over relic from gas cars haha. We need EV's that are reimagined. Lol
I can see how they'd want to retain as much of the existing automotive terminology as possible to make the transition as seamless as they can for mainstream penetration for BEVs. But yeah, I suppose they could just as easily call it a Power button.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Camping Mode 1594038085380

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Note that "accidentally hitting the start button" on a non-Tesla wouldn't do much as you also have to have your foot on the brake for the car to actually "start" (pressing start without the brake turns the radio and accessories on).

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Start button are so "old fashion" ;) Left over relic from gas cars haha. We need EV's that are reimagined. Lol
Like turning the key back one click?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Note that "accidentally hitting the start button" on a non-Tesla wouldn't do much as you also have to have your foot on the brake for the car to actually "start" (pressing start without the brake turns the radio and accessories on).
Although it doesn't really do much on a BEV either, does it? In order for the vehicle to move, for instance, it still requires both dialing the gear knob and pressing the accelerator (unlike an ICE car that would creep only from putting it in gear while running).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Although it doesn't really do much on a BEV either, does it? In order for the vehicle to move, for instance, it still requires both dialing the gear knob and pressing the accelerator (unlike an ICE car that would creep only from putting it in gear while running).
Correct you still have to put it into gear (and in the Bolt's case disengage the e-brake) and press the accelerator.

I guess there is less of a stigma for "starting" an EV because it isn't belching out Co2 just sitting there.

In the winter I remote start my plugins with the garage door closed--at first that kind of raised the hairs on my neck but doesn't anymore (the C-Max Energi did start the ICE a couple of times--I shut it down right away when that happened, or opened the garage door).

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No heat pump for sure. That has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. What does “camp mode” do on the Tesla? Does the car make S’mores?
it's not supposed to... they swear they have fixed the quality issues that led to that happening.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
When I rented a Model S not too long ago, the lack of a "start" button struck me as insanely strange and an unnecessary change - change for the sake of change. There's a nice mental bit in knowing you're taking the car from "it can't possibly move no matter what you do" to "it's ready to move" back to "it can't possibly move" again.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
When I rented a Model S not too long ago, the lack of a "start" button struck me as insanely strange and an unnecessary change - change for the sake of change. There's a nice mental bit in knowing you're taking the car from "it can't possibly move no matter what you do" to "it's ready to move" back to "it can't possibly move" again.
I mean .. that's what the gear shifter + brake is for ... A start button for a car that doesn't need to be started seems unnecessary.
Sponsored