Can I specify a "default max charge level"

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Thank you. So I guess you can't do this from the FordPass app? You can manage the "preferred charge settings" in FordPass for a saved location, but it doesn't look like you can actually save a location in FordPass (at least not while actively charging)?
Not with the current version of the app. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure, that I was able to do it with at least one of the previous versions. Sadly, Fordpass has some history with fixing one thing but breaking 2 or 3 others.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Oh man. This is brutal. But thanks for your reply. I was hoping I was missing something obvious :(
You can only configure L1 & L2 charging locations. The DCFC fast chargers canā€™t be configured but only charge about 40 kWh after 80%. Beware if your DCFC fast charger charges per minute, this doubles or triples cost per kWh after 80%

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Not with the current version of the app. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure, that I was able to do it with at least one of the previous versions. Sadly, Fordpass has some history with fixing one thing but breaking 2 or 3 others.
Oh hey, I just noticed my app updated to 4.18.1 on iOS, and I can edit a charge profile again within the app, so it might be working again.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure, that I was able to do it with at least one of the previous versions.
Be careful saying ā€œ100% sureā€ too often, itā€™s not good for your battery. You may want to limit to 90% sure on a routine basisā€¦šŸ˜„

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Isnā€™t charging to 100% actually charging to 90% because of a 10% buffer thatā€™s built in? Or is it that 0% is actually 10%? I thought thereā€™s a 10% buffer built in somewhere. And if thatā€™s true wouldnā€™t charging to 100% repeatedly not be such a big deal?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Isnā€™t charging to 100% actually charging to 90% because of a 10% buffer thatā€™s built in? Or is it that 0% is actually 10%? I thought thereā€™s a 10% buffer built in somewhere. And if thatā€™s true wouldnā€™t charging to 100% repeatedly not be such a big deal?
There is a buffer at the top and bottom. So you are correct, 100% is not actually 100% of the total battery capacity.

Last night I plugged in at my mom's house and I had that location set to charge to 100%. But last night I wanted to actually charge to 90%. So in FP I updated the location settings from 100 to 90 while it was still charging. FP still said it was going to charge to 100% but the expected completion time changed to one hour earlier. I let it go and it actually did stop at 90%.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
I have 2 chargers at home. Looks like you have to fully charge to 100% at a charging station in order to add it... and then adjust the charge limit. I did this with one charger but now it looks like it's not so much location but charger because I have to repeat the process for the other unit.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
There is a buffer at the top and bottom. So you are correct, 100% is not actually 100% of the total battery capacity.

Last night I plugged in at my mom's house and I had that location set to charge to 100%. But last night I wanted to actually charge to 90%. So in FP I updated the location settings from 100 to 90 while it was still charging. FP still said it was going to charge to 100% but the expected completion time changed to one hour earlier. I let it go and it actually did stop at 90%.
I'm glad you confirmed this, because I've noticed this FordPass bug and I wasn't sure if it would stop at the time or the percentage target. Good to know it works as intended, even if it continues showing the older (wrong) percentage target.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
I'm glad you confirmed this, because I've noticed this FordPass bug and I wasn't sure if it would stop at the time or the percentage target. Good to know it works as intended, even if it continues showing the older (wrong) percentage target.
They recommend 90% on Teslas (all EVs have a buffer) for best efficiency. Reason being, if you charge to 100%, regenerative braking is not available or extremely limited so the battery isn't overcharged.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have 2 chargers at home. Looks like you have to fully charge to 100% at a charging station in order to add it... and then adjust the charge limit. I did this with one charger but now it looks like it's not so much location but charger because I have to repeat the process for the other unit.
It has never worked that way for me. Any charge is sufficient to establish a location. I have done it multiple times without charging to 100% on the first charge.

And it has never been charger dependent for me. I used the Ford portable charger when I first set up my mom's location and used my Grizzl-e that I purchased for travel use last night and it worked just fine. It is location based, not charger based.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It has never worked that way for me. Any charge is sufficient to establish a location. I have done it multiple times without charging to 100% on the first charge.

And it has never been charger dependent for me. I used the Ford portable charger when I first set up my mom's location and used my Grizzl-e that I purchased for travel use last night and it worked just fine. It is location based, not charger based.
It worked for me at a new location (without charing to 100%), but I had to save it from the car touchscreen. I could not save a new location within FordPass.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
Yes, you're right. My car keeps turning off the charge locations option.

clkotnik

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Clearly this thread points to a total rewrite of the charging software.

I am curious how the vehicle identifies its current location. During one of my charging malfunction debugging exercises I found that while the vehicle was sitting in my garage it thought it was 24 miles away. That sounds like a software bug rather than a bit of jitter in the GPS. Does anyone know how the location logic works?

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you are at a charge-for-payment public station, most of these stations will charge an insane amount per minute once the car stops charging but is still connected To prevent people from hogging the charging space all day. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
I've seen plenty of EVs hogging charger spots after they've finished charging, so my conclusion is the fees are not high enough.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
My Tesla has a slider that I can change whenever circumstances warrant. Super intuitive, quick, and easy.
Sold it when the MME came in, but my EV6 had settings for default AC and DC charging levels as well as a current-session setting.
Sponsored