Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Maverick FE jeep
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
Hi all,
I have put a deposit down on a long range premium awd

My daily commute is 200km from Spaniards bay to St. John’s airport Newfoundland 100k each way

The car will be parked outside all year round, I will have a charger installed at home but can only use the charger that comes with the car at work “8 hour shift”
Before I go ahead and purchase the car do you think it will have the range to work for me long term

I have read that the range can half in the winter and I’m worried I won’t get enough charge back in it to get home
Sponsored

Pina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport, 2022 Mach-E Premium Ordered
Country flag
I think you will have no problem. I only got mine in March so it wasn't the coldest reference period but I very easily could do my 225 km round trip with no anxiety and plenty of battery left.

OP
OP

Stevew46

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Maverick FE jeep
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
I think you will have no problem. I only got mine in March so it wasn't the coldest reference period but I very easily could do my 225 km round trip with no anxiety and plenty of battery left.
Thanks for the reply, I wouldn’t want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere and freeze to death

Bram12

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I think you should be fine too. I have Premium AWD SR and worst GOM range was 130km after overnight outside at our cottage with minus 30 temps. GOM tends to be very conservative with range estimates and ER will give you the extra kms you need.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you will be plugging the mobile charger in a 110V (Lvl 1) then you will get very little charge in 8 hours. You should; however, be good without additional charging and the extra 40km for 8 hours of charging would give you a safety margin.

OP
OP

Stevew46

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Maverick FE jeep
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
I didn’t think I would get much from the mobile charger,
My worry is, if I get stuck in a line up if the highway is closed with snow and also when the car is a couple of years old with battery depreciation

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn’t think I would get much from the mobile charger,
My worry is, if I get stuck in a line up if the highway is closed with snow and also when the car is a couple of years old with battery depreciation
From the studies I’ve read testing battery degradation you and I have nothing to worry about. The actual percentage lost is so reliably low that car manufacturers aren’t fazed by the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. My first plug-in had a tiny loss in battery capacity after 30 months and 60,000 miles.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi all,
I have put a deposit down on a long range premium awd

My daily commute is 200km from Spaniards bay to St. John’s airport Newfoundland 100k each way

The car will be parked outside all year round, I will have a charger installed at home but can only use the charger that comes with the car at work “8 hour shift”
Before I go ahead and purchase the car do you think it will have the range to work for me long term

I have read that the range can half in the winter and I’m worried I won’t get enough charge back in it to get home
Precondition battery for at least 15 minutes and use heat from seats and steering wheel. I noticeed a 25pct drop in range from summer.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
I live in Canada and we have a First Edition MME. AWD extended battery. Coldest winter day last year we still had 290 to 320km range. Precondition in the morning while plugged in before you leave gives more range and is nice to start in a warm car.
You should not need to charge at work.

OP
OP

Stevew46

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Maverick FE jeep
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
Thanks for the information,

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the information,
We are getting between 450km and 500km range right now. Never have we been worried about range. Had a Chevy Bolt for 5 years before the MME. We never will buy an Ice car. Full electric is the only way to go.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I live in Canada and we have a First Edition MME. AWD extended battery. Coldest winter day last year we still had 290 to 320km range. Precondition in the morning while plugged in before you leave gives more range and is nice to start in a warm car.
You should not need to charge at work.
It may be worthwhile to plug in at work on the days it drops below freezing. It won't add much to the battery, but it should help precondition it. Set a precondition time, and/or remote start.

He'll probably need to charge to 100% at home in the colder months, but not a big deal. Can back off to 90 or 95 in the warmer months.

coulomb

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Extended Premium, VW Golf
Occupation
Computer geek
Country flag
I also have the long-range Premium AWD.
Did a 1,600km return trip from Ontario to Québec last winter, temps were around -16C.
Range was about 260km; for comparison I get 450km in the summer.
The biggest impediment was charging speed, I was getting 30-40kw only. But now I'm starting to wonder if it was mostly due to the Petro-Canada chargers. I've done that trip many times this summer and Petro-Can chargers constantly underwhelm.
So to answer your question: You'll be fine! Make sure you're charged to 100% when it's very cold. And I wouldn't worry about battery degradation from all I've read.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
We are getting between 450km and 500km range right now. Never have we been worried about range. Had a Chevy Bolt for 5 years before the MME. We never will buy an Ice car. Full electric is the only way to go.
500kms of range? What kind of voodoo magic is this and can you send some my way? Hahaha. Best I've ever gotten is 420km.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
500kms of range? What kind of voodoo magic is this and can you send some my way? Hahaha. Best I've ever gotten is 420km.
Not voodoo magic. In the right conditions driving 95 to 100km per hour on rural roads and a mix of some high speed highways, no AC or heat on I can easily get 500km range.
Sponsored