Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
So if someone cancels their order, will the dealer just offer it to the next person on their list of orders who ordered the exact same configuration?
Sponsored

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
My guess, as I have no inside info:

I imagine if the cancellation is before the build date, or maybe before the production run is scheduled, there may be an option for the dealer to cancel the order altogether.

I doubt ford would reroute the car to a different dealer. It is the dealer who owns the order, not the customer.

If the car is built and then the customer backs out, the one dealer I spoke with made it clear they would keep the car as dealer inventory. They seemed eager to have some available to sell out of inventory anyway.

Maybe a really progressive dealer could negotiate for a trade or dealer to dealer swap if the cancelled order matched one of their customers orders?

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
So if someone cancels their order, will the dealer just offer it to the next person on their list of orders who ordered the exact same configuration?
Probably not as the dealer will get the vehicle that the next person ordered also.
Likely, this will be the source for dealers to charge over ADM. People who did not have a reservation / order walk onto the dealer lot and pay what the dealer is asking, since the new buyer will have no other access to an early delivery than overpaying.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I'd also say probably not. When the dealer accepts the order it's on their vehicle wholesale so that vehicle is coming to their store, even if the customer cancels or refuses delivery.

So if 'order customer A' cancels their order, then why give it to 'order customer B'? If the dealer does, then 'order customer B' is going to have to cancel their order too and the dealer is going to have an extra inventory unit anyway when cancelled 'order customer B's' vehicle eventually shows up.

Then they have to sell 'cancelled order B's' unit to some Joe/Jane off the street as customer C. Sounds like a hassle. It's easier for the dealer to just have one cancelled order than two. If person A cancels, it's easier just to sell it as an inventory unit and wait for customer B's unit to arrive.

Last edited:

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
I'd also say probably not. When the dealer accepts the order it's on their vehicle wholesale so that vehicle is coming to their store, even if the customer cancels or refuses delivery.

So if 'order customer A' cancels their order, then why give it to 'order customer B'? If the dealer does, then 'order customer B' is going to have to cancel their order too and the dealer is going to have an extra inventory unit anyway when cancelled 'order customer B's' vehicle eventually shows up.

Then they have to sell 'cancelled order B's' unit to some Joe/Jane off the street as customer C. Sounds like a hassle. It's easier for the dealer to just have one cancelled order than two. If person A cancels, it's easier just to sell it as an inventory unit and wait for customer B's unit to arrive.
This sounds like what my dealer believes. I visited him for the first time today. I'm just about to convert my reservation to an order.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thats exactly what my dealer said, if I cancel the order they will sell it to someone else. In fact I sensed the dealers don't like that they can't order the Mache for stock.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
My dealer had similar comments and even suggested he was eager to have a few in inventory.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My dealer had similar comments and even suggested he was eager to have a few in inventory.
Yep. But that also worries me a bit, because it could be incentive for a dealer to coax the original reservation-to-order buyer out of the deal, so then they control the vehicle and can try to sell it with ADM.

That's why it's important to try and arrange a deal in writing BEFORE locking in the dealer with an order. Once we convert reservation to order, it appears the dealer then has the leverage.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Yep. But that also worries me a bit, because it could be incentive for a dealer to coax the original reservation-to-order buyer out of the deal, so then they control the vehicle and can try to sell it with ADM.

That's why it's important to try and arrange a deal in writing BEFORE locking in the dealer with an order. Once we convert reservation to order, it appears the dealer then has the leverage.
I think you are overthinking this a bit. If you have an order the dealer has to sell you the car if you want it. Putting a deal in writing at this point makes no sense - there may be other incentives (owner loyalty, military, regional) added to the car at a later date.
Sponsored