Cannot pair LiftMaster 3280 with car garage door opener

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
It is good thing that you need to do the extra step of using the learn button from the opener. It means your opener uses a rolling code (better security).
Sponsored

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The video posted by @darren is great. It was the only reason I finally got mine to pair. The problem for me were the instructions. After going through the steps to have the HomeLink button learn the rolling codes from the hand transmitter, the manual says:

5. Press and hold the HomeLink button you programmed for two seconds, then release. You may need to do this twice to activate the door.
Note: If the indicator light stays on, the programming is complete.
Note: If the HomeLink indicator flashes rapidly, repeat Step 5.

My HomeLink indicator button would flash rapidly, so I followed the second note and repeated Step 5. Again. And again. And again. The indicator light would never NOT flash repeatedly.

The video says that if you have a rolling code garage door opener the indicator light WILL flash repeatedly. Was finished two minutes later since, once I understood the HomeLink button was in fact programmed, it was simple to program the garage opener to the HomeLink button.

Now I guess you can infer from the idea that programming is complete that the notes only refer to a fixed code garage opener. But that's a leap. Would it be asking too much to have the note say: Note: If the HomeLink indicator flashes rapidly, and you have a fixed code garage door opener, repeat Step 5. If the HomeLink indicator flashes rapidly and you have a rolling code garage door opener, proceed to program the garage opener.

TundraEV

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Had considerable struggle with my LiftMaster+ rolling code opener using the Ford instructions.

I watched the video on Homelinkā€˜a website and the following worked perfectly for two buttons.
1) before starting, erase all buttons by holding in the outer buttons at the same time for 10 seconds
2) using your handheld remote, press and hold (at the SAME time) in the handheld opener button and the button you want to program. Hold until light flashes continuously and then release.
3) press and release the Homelink visor button an additional 2 times. Nothing will happen except light briefly flashing.
4) from garage door unit, press the ā€œlearnā€ button on the back of the unit. Green light should be solid on the LiftMaster unit.
5) from car, press and release the programmed Homelink visor button 2 times (maybe 3 if needed) with a pause in between each press.

I think there is something about Fordā€™s instructions with the 2 second presses that just isnā€™t working, or the initial step needs to be clearer to press and hold the handheld opener button with the Homelink button AT THE SAME TIME.

whatever the case, steps above worked flawlessly for me.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Had considerable struggle with my LiftMaster+ rolling code opener using the Ford instructions.

I watched the video on Homelinkā€˜a website and the following worked perfectly for two buttons.
1) before starting, erase all buttons by holding in the outer buttons at the same time for 10 seconds
2) using your handheld remote, press and hold (at the SAME time) in the handheld opener button and the button you want to program. Hold until light flashes continuously and then release.
3) press and release the Homelink visor button an additional 2 times. Nothing will happen except light briefly flashing.
4) from garage door unit, press the ā€œlearnā€ button on the back of the unit. Green light should be solid on the LiftMaster unit.
5) from car, press and release the programmed Homelink visor button 2 times (maybe 3 if needed) with a pause in between each press.

I think there is something about Fordā€™s instructions with the 2 second presses that just isnā€™t working, or the initial step needs to be clearer to press and hold the handheld opener button with the Homelink button AT THE SAME TIME.

whatever the case, steps above worked flawlessly for me.
Thank you for this....was experiencing the same trouble programming my opener. I'd just add that I had to hold my transmitter within a few inches of the visor buttons otherwise they acted like they didn't see it......even though my garage door about 10 feet away was responding to it.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I was able to make it work with this video which was more clear for me.

thank you so much!
In fact, the Ford instructions are perfectly clear. Unfortunately, they are also wrong.

Thanks to RyZt for finding the useful instructions!
Sponsored