Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Happily retired 😊
Country flag
Thank you! They are on the way. Is there a way to avoid this in the future?
We keep a 12 V battery jumper in our frunk— you can get them on Amazon. Just remember to keep them charged— depending upon your charging set up you can run a 110 cord out of your front and plug-in the battery pack while you’re charging at home.
Here is one similar to the one we purchased on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Star...battery+jumper+and+power+brick,aps,187&sr=8-5

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Why is it that you never see @Ford Motor Company jump into a "Roadside Assistance Failure" thread. There is zero excuse for dispatching incompetent tow drivers.
Let’s be fair - this was over the weekend. I think @Ford Motor Company is only on this site during business hours. Remember, ford does have an 800 number for roadside assistance.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
I think I should print instructions on jumping the 12 volt battery, with an arrow as to where the red and the black wires go, tape next to the battery. Also steps to connect, and then to disconnect. I do have that 12 volt jumper battery in the frunk. I've never used it on my car, but helped other people with their's.

OP
OP
rystam07

rystam07

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Grant officer
Country flag
Great idea! Thank you. Honestly had no idea this would ever be an issue. Always learning.

Reactions: Opa
OP
OP
rystam07

rystam07

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Grant officer
Country flag
Let’s be fair - this was over the weekend. I think @Ford Motor Company is only on this site during business hours. Remember, ford does have an 800 number for roadside assistance.
My thoughts exactly! I called the customer care line but as it was Sunday it just sent me to request Roadside Assistance. I knew coming here would help me more than anything else would. Definitely a learning curve.

OP
OP
rystam07

rystam07

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Grant officer
Country flag
It sounds like they thought they could jump start the car using the cables in the front bumper, but those ONLY open the frunk. Once the frunk is open and you have access to the battery, the jumper cables need to be connected to the battery as in post 28 in order to jump start it. Leaving the jumper cables connected to the front bumper cables will NOT jump start the car, no matter how long you leave them there. The jumper cables need to be moved to the battery after the frunk is open.
They opened the frunk and then tried to jump it that way. I knew what they needed to do thanks to this forum. However, tried jumping it with a 2005-2010 Chevy Van. It didn't have enough power to do anything to my car. Hooked up my husbands F150 and within seconds all lights were on and car running lol. It was definitely stressful and took my entire Sunday. But I learned so much!

23macheGT

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Country flag
Thanks OP for sharing this experience. Glad it worked out. And thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge. I’m a new owner here and loves seeing this community working together

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They opened the frunk and then tried to jump it that way. I knew what they needed to do thanks to this forum. However, tried jumping it with a 2005-2010 Chevy Van. It didn't have enough power to do anything to my car. Hooked up my husbands F150 and within seconds all lights were on and car running lol. It was definitely stressful and took my entire Sunday. But I learned so much!
Just an odd question - did they even send a tow truck or just a van that attempted a jump?

smoke20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Country flag
One more odd question. Did you ever log into your Ford account to see your battery charge level?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sounds like they didn't hook it up right. Any running ICE vehicle should have been enough to jump start it.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
Res jumper battery in the frunk:

There are three problems: Opening the frunk, getting out my 12 jump battery, and doing the jump correctly. I intend to be able to solve two of those problems, as well as knowing how to open the frunk.

Kind of like with a boat, have the tools and parts to fix the common things even if you know you don't know how to do it. A more knowledgeable boater can fix it - even if he doesn't have his tools nor the parts. In case the driver of the tow truck doesn't have or no how to do all of this, it can be useful to tactfully explain it to him or her.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thank you! They are on the way. Is there a way to avoid this in the future?
- make sure you know your 'door pillar' code. If there is any juice left, you can at least get in and pop the hood manually. I keep mine written on a card in my wallet. I'd also suggest practicing a few times since it can be difficult to 'wake up' the door code buttons.

- using the front 12v hood opening leads will NOT work unless the 12v is dead.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Sounds like they didn't hook it up right. Any running ICE vehicle should have been enough to jump start it.
if the 12v was really low, you would have had to left a running vehicle connected for 1/2hr- 1hr to get a meaningful charge into the 12v. Not just a momentary 'jump'. It has to have enough juice into the 12v battery to start the onboard computers and keep them running long enough to get the big battery turned on and get you home if the system is not charging correctly.
Sponsored