ChargePoint Discount

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I have a Connected Charger on order, but decided to go Chargepoint due to price point and the uncertainty around when the Ford charger would be delivered. However, to cancel I have to contact the dealer that the order is placed with (Galpin). So far no response...
Sponsored

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I don't really see the value in overpaying for the connectivity features that the car already has, so I had planned to buy the clippercreek. But, the cheapskate in me took over and I bought the grizzl-e. I also don't think 48A will make that much of a difference; as long as the car is recharged by the time I want to leave in the morning I am good - I don't see value in paying hundreds of dollars to have it finish 3 hours before I get up instead of 1.
One of the guys I work with got his Chargepoint through his utility for $450. After tax credit, that's about $30 more than Grizzl-e, not hundreds. And some in California, may want it to finish faster, before the next blackout :). Not really one size fits all.

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
However, to cancel I have to contact the dealer that the order is placed with (Galpin). So far no response...
This is why being able to order from Amazon, is a huge plus in my mind. If you have an issue, you can call them and get it resolved that day. Typical car dealer, not so much:). And order cancellation is fairly automatic.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So are most people going ChargePoint over the Ford Charging Station option? I bought (and can still cancel) the Ford offering ($700) because I thought there would be functionality between charging station and MachE I could not get with a 3rd party charger. Not the case?
I do most of my charging at work, which is a Chargepoint commercial station. It’s really nice to see all of my charge sessions and statistics for work and home in one app. For me, it’s also a no-brainer because my power company offers reduced rates for EV charging, but they only support Chargepoint and Flo chargers. I never even considered the Ford branded charger. I still don’t see any advantage.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
One of the guys I work with got his Chargepoint through his utility for $450. After tax credit, that's about $30 more than Grizzl-e, not hundreds. And some in California, may want it to finish faster, before the next blackout :). Not really one size fits all.
I didn't say it was one size fits all. In fact I simply stated MY decision for MY situation. Clearly if YOUR power company offers a discount then it changes YOUR calculus.

Is there a reason you go out of your way to contradict my posts?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The electrician is coming today to hardwire install my CP Home flex. While there may be times that we want to charge both EVs at the same time, I'm considering selling my Juicebox 40. There have been several instances of it failing in the middle of a charge, not sure if that is the fault of the Juicebox, or it just responding to an external fault. In each case it worked fine again after pulling the plug for a minute.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
If you are planning to buy ChargePoint EVSE, it's currently discounted $50. Including on Amazon.
1606344283709.png
Thank you so much for the info. I got mine and have it installed! In time for the tax credit and the discount. Merry Christmas to me!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Thank you so much for the info. I got mine and have it installed! In time for the tax credit and the discount. Merry Christmas to me!
You mean a "MerryBrown Christmas", right? because you know...

yes I see that side with big red lighted letters that read "EXIT", why do you...

oh

well okay but

ok no need to pull on me like that I'll go

yes this is as fast as I can go stop pulling that hurts

I'M GOING ALREADY

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
My utility (DTE) has a program so I bought the ChargePoint ... but I can't file for the $500 rebate yet. The conditions of the program require that I have already taken delivery of the car (and enroll in one of their programs for getting a special energy rate for charging EV's at non-peak hours). I do plan to enroll in the program (I've already had the work done to install a new meter dedicated to EV charging) but they don't activate the program until I've taken delivery of the car (the car has to be registered with the state ... just having a VIN isn't enough to enroll, it has to be titled and registered in my name.)

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
My utility (DTE) has a program so I bought the ChargePoint ... but I can't file for the $500 rebate yet. The conditions of the program require that I have already taken delivery of the car (and enroll in one of their programs for getting a special energy rate for charging EV's at non-peak hours). I do plan to enroll in the program (I've already had the work done to install a new meter dedicated to EV charging) but they don't activate the program until I've taken delivery of the car (the car has to be registered with the state ... just having a VIN isn't enough to enroll, it has to be titled and registered in my name.)
Meanwhile you should be eligible for 30% tax credit.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Meanwhile you should be eligible for 30% tax credit.
That'll be maxed at $1000. I have a detached garage. It only has a single 120v/20a circuit powering it today. There was no easy way to add power for EV charging.

I'll spare you the "long" version of the story but ... a whole lot of upgrades were needed. It wasn't just a matter of adding a 240v circuit for the car as it probably is for most people. I have a detached garage and rules about how power can be run and where the meters can be installed, etc. complicated things. My guess is it will probably cost about $6000 after the dust settles.

The upside is that with all the complexity of upgrading the garage for *just* one car... we decided that we don't ever want to deal with this again ... so we're proactively wiring the second bay for the day when we may have two EV (or at least a PHEV). That did noticeably increase our costs (but cheaper than doing separate projects).

Also ... since we had to trench our backyard and our driveway (which needed to be replaced anyway) we are moving *all* overhead lines (5 of them) underground. Also... we were never able to water the grass on the far-side of the driveway and since we trenched it open, we also added another underground line to run sprinkler heads on that previously unreachable area.

So the big price tag is fixing and improving quite a few things ... not just charging for one car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ChargePoint Discount IMG_1567

Now the question is ... do I fill it all in when everything is run... or should I expand it, fill it with water, and add a drawbridge? (New driveway wont be put in until spring. I'll just fill it and level it to get through winter.)

On a more serious note... I'm considering a couple of rows of ornamental pavers through the driveway ... so that if for any reason I needed to run anything else *or* perform a repair, it'd be possible to access without cutting open the driveway again.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
That'll be maxed at $1000. I have a detached garage. It only has a single 120v/20a circuit powering it today. There was no easy way to add power for EV charging.

I'll spare you the "long" version of the story but ... a whole lot of upgrades were needed. It wasn't just a matter of adding a 240v circuit for the car as it probably is for most people. I have a detached garage and rules about how power can be run and where the meters can be installed, etc. complicated things. My guess is it will probably cost about $6000 after the dust settles.

The upside is that with all the complexity of upgrading the garage for *just* one car... we decided that we don't ever want to deal with this again ... so we're proactively wiring the second bay for the day when we may have two EV (or at least a PHEV). That did noticeably increase our costs (but cheaper than doing separate projects).

Also ... since we had to trench our backyard and our driveway (which needed to be replaced anyway) we are moving *all* overhead lines (5 of them) underground. Also... we were never able to water the grass on the far-side of the driveway and since we trenched it open, we also added another underground line to run sprinkler heads on that previously unreachable area.

So the big price tag is fixing and improving quite a few things ... not just charging for one car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ChargePoint Discount IMG_1567

Now the question is ... do I fill it all in when everything is run... or should I expand it, fill it with water, and add a drawbridge? (New driveway wont be put in until spring. I'll just fill it and level it to get through winter.)

On a more serious note... I'm considering a couple of rows of ornamental pavers through the driveway ... so that if for any reason I needed to run anything else *or* perform a repair, it'd be possible to access without cutting open the driveway again.
Maybe just fill it with water and charge the squirrels to use your lazy river?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As I've said elsewhere I've got a Ford charger on order for the hopes of the integration between it and the car and app. But it's getting closer and closer to the end of the year and still nothing on delivery time. So I'm back to attempting a decision: Grizzl-E -> Juice Box -> Chargepoint -> wait it out on the Ford

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Go for the drawbridge and stock the moat with alligators.:D
Sponsored