ChargePoint Discount

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
As I've said elsewhere I've got a Ford charger on order for the hopes of the integration between it and the car and app. But it's getting closer and closer to the end of the year and still nothing on delivery time. So I'm back to attempting a decision: Grizzl-E -> Juice Box -> Chargepoint -> wait it out on the Ford
Not sure how long they will allow you to return, but perhaps you could order one of those from mfr/Amazon and return it if the Ford charger appeared in a timely fashion, but if not, you already have it in hand.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure how long they will allow you to return, but perhaps you could order one of those from mfr/Amazon and return it if the Ford charger appeared in a timely fashion, but if not, you already have it in hand.
That's a good point. I might have to look into that

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
As I've said elsewhere I've got a Ford charger on order for the hopes of the integration between it and the car and app. But it's getting closer and closer to the end of the year and still nothing on delivery time. So I'm back to attempting a decision: Grizzl-E -> Juice Box -> Chargepoint -> wait it out on the Ford
Don't wait for Ford. Juice Box and Chargepoint will provide the same functionality. The only thing that Ford gives you is the ability to manage the charger from the same app as the car. There is not other integration. Grizzl-E is a non-smart charger so you can control charging only from the car. It is somewhat cheaper. Each charger has it's pluses, but if Ford doesn't deliver, it's useless.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So I'm back to attempting a decision: Grizzl-E -> Juice Box -> Chargepoint -> wait it out on the Ford
If you haven't already watched them, Tom Moloughney did very in-depth reviews of each of those three choices. The level of detail is impressive.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ok you all convinced me to go with Chargepoint. Which version do I buy? NEMA 14-50?

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Ok you all convinced me to go with Chargepoint. Which version do I buy? NEMA 14-50?
14-50 plug seems to be most common, and is the same as Ford's mobile charger. However, if you are planning to hardwire it, it really doesn't matter. Either 14-50 or 6-50 come off. I went with 14-50 and planning to hardwire.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How much capacity do you have in your box?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
How much capacity do you have in your box?
You know I can build a PC by going to the store and buying all the components but I know nothing about electric panels. That said, it's a brand new house with an EV conduit in the garage that runs from the wall to the panel. So all I need is the breaker and the electrician to run wire through the existing conduit to the EV outlet (and hardwire to the Charing Station). Long story short I know I have the capacity because the builder site manager and I had a conversation and he told me it's ready to go. (I just don't 'know' the capacity). ?

Thought, if I'm hard wiring, maybe I don't need to worry about the plug? Am I wrong in this?

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You know I can build a PC by going to the store and buying all the components but I know nothing about electric panels. That said, it's a brand new house with an EV conduit in the garage that runs from the wall to the panel. So all I need is the breaker and the electrician to run wire through the existing conduit to the EV outlet (and hardwire to the Charing Station). Long story short I know I have the capacity because the builder site manager and I had a conversation and he told me it's ready to go. (I just don't 'know' the capacity). ?

Thought, if I'm hard wiring, maybe I don't need to worry about the plug? Am I wrong in this?
This is exactly why I asked about your capacity. If you are hard-wiring and have the capacity then you can install a 70A breaker which allows you to use the full 50A charging rate on the ChargePoint HomeFlex. If you install a lower amperage breaker, you'll have to program your charger to the available amperage. The breaker will have to be rated at 125% the charge rate you set.

On the other hand, if you only have 50A capacity in your box, you might as well install a 14-50 outlet that you can use for a ChargePoint wired with a 14-50 plug or into which you can plug the Ford Mobile Charger if you need to.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The difference in plugs is that one has a 'neutral' pin and the other does not.

The ChargePoint doesn't actually use the neutral pin ... so the option is there mostly for those who already have an outlet on the wall so they can get the charger with whatever plug fits the outlet ... without the need to change the outlet.

But neither the 14-50 nor the 6-50 are meant to for sustained use above 40 amps (the plug handles 50 amps... but shouldn't be used at that amperage for extended periods ... such as EV charging). They can be used for extended periods at 40 amps or less.

If you plan to use 48 amp charging (which the ChargePoint can handle) then ChargePoint wants you to remove the plug and wire it directly (they have a video showing how to do this ... it's pretty easy because the wiring inside the charger uses lever-locks ... instead of screws.)

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is exactly why I asked about your capacity. If you are hard-wiring and have the capacity then you can install a 70A breaker which allows you to use the full 50A charging rate on the ChargePoint HomeFlex. If you install a lower amperage breaker, you'll have to program your charger to the available amperage. The breaker will have to be rated at 125% the charge rate you set.

On the other hand, if you only have 50A capacity in your box, you might as well install a 14-50 outlet that you can use for a ChargePoint wired with a 14-50 plug or into which you can plug the Ford Mobile Charger if you need to.
Perfect, thank you. This is what I needed. I appreciate the help. 99% certain I can go with 70A breaker. I'll have electrician confirm but I wanted to have as much info ready at hand as possible.
Sponsored