Charging 12v battery

redrambha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MachE Premium Extended RWD
Country flag
First time seeing this, showing “Charging 12v battery”. Car wasn’t driven for about 4 days. Upon plugging in seeing this on the FordPass application. Tell me this is normal.

7439DDD1-E0AA-4400-BAA4-8FAAE8B87974.png
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
First time seeing this, showing “Charging 12v battery”. Car wasn’t driven for about 4 days. Upon plugging in seeing this on the FordPass application. Tell me this is normal.

7439DDD1-E0AA-4400-BAA4-8FAAE8B87974.png
Yes. That’s a good thing. I see it every couple days when the charging schedule starts. Using shore power instead of the HVB.

Mach-E-Fan

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wonder what it would show if you clicked the Details button?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Some of the earlier cars had a glitch and this wasn't working properly. It's good to see that it seems to be doing the right thing. I didn't realize it would give a message when charging the 12v

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
So as someone that has been charging about every 10-14 days, does it make sense to plug in more frequently for the 12V battery? Sorry, if I'm not quite understanding this...

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
So as someone that has been charging about every 10-14 days, does it make sense to plug in more frequently for the 12V battery? Sorry, if I'm not quite understanding this...
I think the general rule of thumb is that "a plugged in ev is a happy ev". If it's plugged in it can draw power from the grid instead of the high voltage battery to maintain the 12V battery.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I typically see this right before my scheduled charging times. If I know my car is going to start charging at 10pm, If I refresh the app right at 10pm, most of the time it will show this for a short time before going into normal charging.

I have seen it randomly other times too. But you have to time it just right to see it in the app since the app doesn't update in real time and it usually doesn't stay charging 12v too long.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think the general rule of thumb is that "a plugged in ev is a happy ev". If it's plugged in it can draw power from the grid instead of the high voltage battery to maintain the 12V battery.
That makes a load of sense. Unfortunately, our EVSE is located at the right rear of where we park the car in the garage--while that was ideal for our i3, it's not great for plugging in the MME with its charging port in the front right! We use just about all of the 25 ft cable when charging.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I charge every 7 days to 90%, I've yet to get notice that my 12v is having to be topped up. I can't see that plugging it up more frequently is needed, Although perhaps excessive heat or cold temps perhaps?

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
I charge every 7 days to 90%, I've yet to get notice that my 12v is having to be topped up. I can't see that plugging it up more frequently is needed, Although perhaps excessive heat or cold temps perhaps?
Do you drive every few days?

From OP wasn't driven in 4 days, and showed immediately upon plugging in.

I have yet to see this little detail, and charge every week or so... few times haven't driven it for a few days. It likely does a voltage check of the 12V battery and tops up if needed.

Pretty sure not draining the 12V is part of why the car 'goes to sleep' some-time after no use meaning less FordPass updates until you lock, etc.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Do you drive every few days?

From OP wasn't driven in 4 days, and showed immediately upon plugging in.

I have yet to see this little detail, and charge every week or so... few times haven't driven it for a few days. It likely does a voltage check of the 12V battery and tops up if needed.

Pretty sure not draining the 12V is part of why the car 'goes to sleep' some-time after no use meaning less FordPass updates until you lock, etc.
I do drive short distances everyday. I wouldn't think the 12v would drain significantly in even a couple weeks not put on the charging. I mean ICE cars can be left unattended for some weeks without issue.

Frebster

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MACH-E PREMIUM
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag

I will plug it into charger, especially on days I don't drive far. Thank you.
F
Sponsored