Charging Curve...hacking?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Country flag
Ford seems to have a current*time based curve. If you plugin at 5%, 10%, 20% ... 50% do you get the same basic curve (up to 80%) despite higher starting SOC? This is true for the lightning.

Also, has anyone tried unplugging and replugging in the same session to see if you can get higher rates? Doesn't seem like it should be possible, but maybe?

EDIT; Found this video, maybe supporting this idea? He re-plugs at various SOC's and power changes each time.

Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The curve is dependent on many things, including the SOC. At 60%, it's slower than at 20%.

It is not time-based. You won't get higher speed by unplugging and plugging back in.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
An EQS SUV guy at EA station used the unplug-plug hack. He said it worked for the EQS. I have never tried with MME but I believe Rick. He has been around for a long time.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Country flag
The curve is dependent on many things, including the SOC. At 60%, it's slower than at 20%.

It is not time-based. You won't get higher speed by unplugging and plugging back in.
I've seen posts showing rates starting from 10% - 30% that at least for the first bit look very similar (same quick peak then throttle reaching same plateau ~80kW to 80%). So it is basically the same "front" of the curve even if you start at 30-40%?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Curve...hacking? Screenshot from 2023-04-14 11-38-41

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I started a charge once at 48% and it went right up to 150kw for a few minutes. So yes it is time based. If you start at higher SoC it will provide more kw at 80%, until it reaches that drop-off point. Above 80% it is based on SoC.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I started a charge once at 48% and it went right up to 150kw for a few minutes. So yes it is time based. If you start at higher SoC it will provide more kw at 80%, until it reaches that drop-off point. Above 80% it is based on SoC.
I think that's not correct. While I'm not going to sit there testing it, it stays at 150kW for such a short time that you won't be gaining anything, considering the time it takes to end a session, then start a new session, and have the charging kick in.

In other words, let's say you gain 90 seconds of 150kW. You lose that in ending and restarting. And, when it drops, it drops to the right point on the curve, i.e. you're at 72% and that's where it's going to fall.

This car's been out for 2 years. If this could be gamed, it would have been done dozens of times.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've seen posts showing rates starting from 10% - 30% that at least for the first bit look very similar (same quick peak then throttle reaching same plateau ~80kW to 80%). So it is basically the same "front" of the curve even if you start at 30-40%?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Curve...hacking? Screenshot from 2023-04-14 11-38-41
Lightning curves, Mach-E forum... And how long did that peak last at the beginning, vs. starting and restopping sessions?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The graph does not prove the assertion that the hack works....

It shows the charge curve when starting at different initial SOC.

If someone would like to unplug and restart a charge cycle immediately I'm curious as to what exactly happens to the charge curve...

but in real life, I'll go get a cup of coffee while my car charges.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Country flag
The graph does not prove the assertion that the hack works....

It shows the charge curve when starting at different initial SOC.

If someone would like to unplug and restart a charge cycle immediately I'm curious as to what exactly happens to the charge curve...

but in real life, I'll go get a cup of coffee while my car charges.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking two separate questions: (1) Do you get the same curve to 80% even if you start a session at 10,20,30,40,50% SOC? From the graph you can see that happens in the lightning.

(2) Separately, has anyone tried unplug-replug to see what happens. I have no evidence here, just a question.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Normally people try to find ways to make life easier and more simplistic. Why on earth anyone would want to repeatedly start and stop charge sessions to shave off a couple minutes (might even add time) is beyond me. It's probably not very healthy for the charge system either. I'm sure the duty cycles are high but they probably didn't account for some lunatic plugging and unplugging 10 times per session.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Country flag
Lightning curves, Mach-E forum... And how long did that peak last at the beginning, vs. starting and restopping sessions?
Sorry, I was just asking if the mach-e curves look similar at different starting SOC's like in the Lightning graph. The separate question about plug-unplug has zero evidence, just curiosity.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Country flag
I think that's not correct. While I'm not going to sit there testing it, it stays at 150kW for such a short time that you won't be gaining anything, considering the time it takes to end a session, then start a new session, and have the charging kick in.

In other words, let's say you gain 90 seconds of 150kW. You lose that in ending and restarting. And, when it drops, it drops to the right point on the curve, i.e. you're at 72% and that's where it's going to fall.

This car's been out for 2 years. If this could be gamed, it would have been done dozens of times.
I found this video ... It actually does appear unplugging-replugging does return a higher avg power. Is it enough to make up for the initialization time and hassle? Probably not.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Sorry, I was just asking if the mach-e curves look similar at different starting SOC's like in the Lightning graph. The separate question about plug-unplug has zero evidence, just curiosity.
I think the word "hacking" implies otherwise which is where people are deriving their comments from.