Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mus Mach-E GT Performance; 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Country flag
I was washing my car today and found this on the grill of my Mach-E... Feeling the crack there is no chip and it is completely smooth / flush. Not sure how this happened but it doesn't appear that it was hit by anything that would have been sizable if anything at all. I also have PPF on the grill too and there is no indication of it being hit by anything.

I don't have much faith in Ford covering this under warranty but wanted to see if anyone else has run in to this and possible costs for replacement.

IMG20221110130610.jpg

IMG20221110130621.jpg

OP
OP

Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update. I just took it down to the dealership and had the service tech, their supervisor, and the service manager down looking at it. They agreed that it looks like an impact damage but no one could feel anything like a chip and it's completely smooth. If it was hit by something it must have been very small and this kind of damage shouldn't have happened. They are going to submit a warranty claim and said Ford will probably initially deny it as impact damage but they are going to work with them to get it covered. Hoping it works out.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I hope it works out too. Looking at the picture, the center does look like an impact by something. I rode a motorcycle when I was young, stupid and indestructible. I was hit many times by small things like rocks and bugs. It is amazing how much force a small thing has at 60 plus mph.

OP
OP

Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, the dealer heard back from Ford. Even after the dealer explaining that the cracks should not have occured based on feeling and looking at the grill Ford still declined the coverage saying the warranty does not cover grill damage....

The dealer is going to try one more time to insist that it be covered but I don't have my hopes up. Little disappointed that the grill seems to be so weak to cracking with no obvious signs of a significant impact and that Ford won't acknowledge it at all.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Well, the dealer heard back from Ford. Even after the dealer explaining that the cracks should not have occured based on feeling and looking at the grill Ford still declined the coverage saying the warranty does not cover grill damage....

The dealer is going to try one more time to insist that it be covered but I don't have my hopes up. Little disappointed that the grill seems to be so weak to cracking with no obvious signs of a significant impact and that Ford won't acknowledge it at all.
Ask what the denial reason is. If they say impact damage, ask them to identify the point of impact when none is felt. You should call and make a case yourself, don't just let the dealer fight it.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It's impact damage and will not be covered period. Something hit it really hard unfortunately and cracked it. Just like a windshield getting cracked. It sucks but I would not blame Ford one bit for denying the claim. Some one could have hit the car too.

Sucks for sure I'd be pissed too.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ask what the denial reason is. If they say impact damage, ask them to identify the point of impact when none is felt. You should call and make a case yourself, don't just let the dealer fight it.
I am no expert, and I hope OP can get warranty repair, but I would imagine something like rubber from a failed tire, jerk tossing a water bottle, or some other type of soft object, even a bird, may cause that type of damage without an impact divot as would occur with a rock. Could have even been someone who kicked the car. (Seen plenty of videos where idiot EV haters were captured on dash cams doing stupid things like that)

OP
OP

Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Good points. I had already asked the dealer for contact info for who I need to call at corporate to make a fuss. Dealer said Ford referenced a general service bulletin that "grill damage is not covered under new vehicle base warranty." I asked for a copy of the bulletin but haven't heard back yet.

OP
OP

Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's impact damage and will not be covered period. Something hit it really hard unfortunately and cracked it. Just like a windshield getting cracked. It sucks but I would not blame Ford one bit for denying the claim. Some one could have hit the car too.

Sucks for sure I'd be pissed too.
Hopefully insurance covers it like a windshield too with no deductible! LoL

I completely understand Ford's denial and I knew it would be an up hill battle since it appears to be an impact. At this point it's just trying to get them to cover it under a good will gesture and is what the dealer recommends once they hear back from Ford based on them providing additional info on what they observed.

Last edited:

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Also if anyone is curious, quote for replacement is $3,000.
That's ridiculous. It's a $700-800 part - you could replace it yourself over a weekend if you're handy.

You could try using a windshield crack repair kit on it. Refraction might be slightly different but you're not looking through it, and what do you have to lose?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
If cost was no object that would be made out of something better able to withstand impact, like polycarbonate. I'm no materials engineer, but that seems like it's too brittle for the application.

And then people would complain about how easily it scratches... :cool:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Also if anyone is curious, quote for replacement is $3,000.
That seems really ridiculous. Any chance you have the part number?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

It’s plastic, it’s definitely impact.

Just because it’s not scratched on the surface, doesn’t mean it isn’t impact.

Punch or kick the grill and you could cause the same cracks without any surface damage.

Basically it got hit by something not sharp.

Either way, if it’s not covered under warranty, not much you could do.

For $3k you could consider an insurance claim.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Tell your insurance you were driving around 40 mph and heard something hit your car. You have no idea what. It will be a comprehensive claim. They won't raise you rates.
Sponsored