Cracked Roof

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That's frustrating. Sounds like my new roof has arrived at the glass shop. Just need to schedule the operation now and hope that it all goes smoothly.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Noticed a crack on roof today. Very straight then starts curling off in two directions further back. Will see if dealer thinks it is a warranty item.
PXL_20210729_000604283.jpg
Hello, Jason! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with the crack in your roof. Thanks!

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interested to see what Ford can do here as my dealership just referred me to my insurance company. Hope they're able to expidite the parts order for you, at least.

In light of some earlier posts, I was very up front and insistent on the phone with the glass shop about this being a panoramic roof, not a standard sun roof. I was happy to hear today that the technicians reached out to Ford and verified that they were fully equipped to swap it out. They are asking for half a day to complete the job, and I should have a new roof by the end of the week.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Job complete. It took less than two hours for them to swap it out, plus a couple hours for the adhesive to dry. However, they managed to dent my rear passenger door and leave a scratch down the whole side as well as a few others along the driver door. They also left their keys in my car. The headache continues.

For what it's worth to you all, it was a half-day job. Two hours to apply, two hours to dry. If they took an extra hour, maybe they wouldn't have shredded my door.

Last edited:

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
With everyone Ceramic coating and PPF'ing their toys, I'd think applying this to the Pano would be a good idea. At least it would give another layer of protection from pointy things bouncing off the top.

When I reach up from inside, I can feel some kind of coating on the inside of the Pano

My last car the windscreen got hit at the bottom, in the wiper area, after they replaced the windscreen, I got some PPF and coated the bottom roughly where the dash/windscreen meet so I didn't see the PPF, but if another rock lobbed on to that part hopefully it wouldn't Star out again.

I'll have to do that and the Pano to my MME pretty soon.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Job complete. It took less than two hours for them to swap it out, plus a couple hours for the adhesive to dry. However, they managed to dent my rear passenger door and leave a scratch down the whole side as well as a few others along the driver door. They also left their keys in my car. The headache continues.
OH-EM-GEE! The glass shop borked your brand new car? Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With everyone Ceramic coating and PPF'ing their toys, I'd think applying this to the Pano would be a good idea. At least it would give another layer of protection from pointy things bouncing off the top.

When I reach up from inside, I can feel some kind of coating on the inside of the Pano

My last car the windscreen got hit at the bottom, in the wiper area, after they replaced the windscreen, I got some PPF and coated the bottom roughly where the dash/windscreen meet so I didn't see the PPF, but if another rock lobbed on to that part hopefully it wouldn't Star out again.

I'll have to do that and the Pano to my MME pretty soon.
I'm looking into this as well. The glass shop recommended a vendor for this, but seeing what a bang-up job they did on my roof, I'm not sure I'll take their recommendation.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well on 03/01/22 I stood in the doorframe on the driver's side to unplug a camera attached to my garage door opener and found a crack in the panoramic roof. I took it to the Ford dealership's body shop and they said it definitely was caused by a rock (yes, there is a very small hole near the bottom after the split) so it is not covered by warranty.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cracked Roof 20220301_164039

So, I went to my insurance agent to file a claim under my comprehensive coverage ($0 deductible)

The local State Farm "preferred providers" will not do a "glass only" repair so my only choice is the Ford dealership. I got an estimate (below) and sent it to State Farm.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cracked Roof 1646451833682

The response from State Fraud was that the labor charge was too high and they would only pay $1,820.73. I have tried to fight their estimate based on the fact that their repair facilities won't do the work but so far I have been unsuccessful. Looks like I will be paying $666.12 out of pocket.

Based on this I will probably be changing my insurance company on the next go-round.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here's mine just for comparison
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cracked Roof 20220301_142507

And, up close near the leading edge.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cracked Roof 20220301_164029

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Wow, you pay 10’s of thousands of dollars for insurance Over time and this happens. Is there an arbitration process? You pay for the coverage, how can they not pay your loss in full? Have you read the full text of the policy. Is it Stated they do not have to pay the full amount for the claim? Is there a State Insurance commission you can complain to? I would not accept their logic unless it is truly stated somewhere.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Well on 03/01/22 I stood in the doorframe on the driver's side to unplug a camera attached to my garage door opener and found a crack in the panoramic roof. I took it to the Ford dealership's body shop and they said it definitely was caused by a rock (yes, there is a very small hole near the bottom after the split) so it is not covered by warranty.

So, I went to my insurance agent to file a claim under my comprehensive coverage ($0 deductible)

The local State Farm "preferred providers" will not do a "glass only" repair so my only choice is the Ford dealership. I got an estimate (below) and sent it to State Farm.

The response from State Fraud was that the labor charge was too high and they would only pay $1,820.73. I have tried to fight their estimate based on the fact that their repair facilities won't do the work but so far I have been unsuccessful. Looks like I will be paying $666.12 out of pocket.

Based on this I will probably be changing my insurance company on the next go-round.
Definitely fight State Farm. I have State Farm and they paid 100% of the $2,400 invoice under my glass coverage. If I didn't have glass coverage, they said it would be covered by comp/collision and I would owe the $500 deductible.