Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
I do remember Ford mentioning that they were working on improving the power charging curve (80 to 90) percent at a 45 to 50KW rate and that was going to be an OTA update. The timeline was unknown at that time. Now it is a done deal. I don't know if it is for everyone at this time.
I was surprised when I saw it at the charging station. I paid attention to what was happening at the 80-90% range just in case it was a glitch. It wasn't.
Sponsored

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Another update came in last night. According to Ford Power Up release it was about fixing braking problems, sudden acceleration issues and also the issues experienced with the power contactor overheating/failing. It took 35 minutes. Next morning, driving to work, I noticed that braking was smoother and a bit more refined. My wife was complaining lately that acceleration and deceleration events were a bit rough or abrupt for her but for me we're just normal. Either way, I noticed a difference.
On the power contactor issue: there was an update. They mentioned that there were two(2) recalls we're the affected vehicles involved will get notices in the mail so the customers affected can take their vehicles to their respective dealers. Never got those notices in the mail. I am assuming/maybe my vehicle is not part of the recall.
Also noticed that three(3) owners of Mach Es we're bringing a class action suit forward.
There was a mention as to what would be the effect of the update and how will affect the acceleration of the vehicle. The OTA update mentioned nothing( I expected that) about acceleration results. They seemed fine to me this morning but don't have the data to back up my observations.
Please someone from this forum which have access to a drag strip or a closed taxiway and timing instrumentation can check the acceleration numbers.
By the way, the update had no number.
Also Ford had said that the update for the power contactor will be available in late August/ September timeframe.
It is here now but is it for everyone else?
I am part of the EA program.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Another update came in last night. According to Ford Power Up release it was about fixing braking problems, sudden acceleration issues and also the issues experienced with the power contactor overheating/failing. It took 35 minutes. Next morning, driving to work, I noticed that braking was smoother and a bit more refined. My wife was complaining lately that acceleration and deceleration events were a bit rough or abrupt for her but for me we're just normal. Either way, I noticed a difference.
On the power contactor issue: there was an update. They mentioned that there were two(2) recalls we're the affected vehicles involved will get notices in the mail so the customers affected can take their vehicles to their respective dealers. Never got those notices in the mail. I am assuming/maybe my vehicle is not part of the recall.
Also noticed that three(3) owners of Mach Es we're bringing a class action suit forward.
There was a mention as to what would be the effect of the update and how will affect the acceleration of the vehicle. The OTA update mentioned nothing( I expected that) about acceleration results. They seemed fine to me this morning but don't have the data to back up my observations.
Please someone from this forum which have access to a drag strip or a closed taxiway and timing instrumentation can check the acceleration numbers.
By the way, the update had no number.
Also Ford had said that the update for the power contactor will be available in late August/ September timeframe.
It is here now but is it for everyone else?
I am part of the EA program.
You got the recall software OTA for the contactors overheating, not 21P22. Timeframe has moved up a month. You get it first because you're in EA but almost everyone should have it in a month. See here: 22S41 & 22S29 Recall OTA Software Are Out

The recall will bring the powertrain and battery modules up to the latest software level, but it will not update some of the other modules that are part of 21P22 like the door modules and the RFA module. I still advise you to get 21P22 applied at your dealer if you haven't yet, otherwise the rest of the updates may come OTA by the end of the year.

I know some people that have tested the new powertrain software, and there is zero difference. You will have the same acceleration numbers as before, there is no performance impact.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You got the recall software OTA for the contactors overheating, not 21P22. Timeframe has moved up a month. You get it first because you're in EA but almost everyone should have it in a month. See here: 22S41 & 22S29 Recall OTA Software Are Out

The recall will bring the powertrain and battery modules up to the latest software level, but it will not update some of the other modules that are part of 21P22 like the door modules and the RFA module. I still advise you to get 21P22 applied at your dealer if you haven't yet, otherwise the rest of the updates may come OTA by the end of the year.

I know some people that have tested the new powertrain software, and there is zero difference. You will have the same acceleration numbers as before, there is no performance impact.
ā€¦ā€¦. Unless your battery components get hot, right?

Isnā€™t the whole point to monitor the temp/current and reduce power if necessary?

Reducing power absolutely will impact performance.

Seems the recall is a preventative measure. And itā€™ll prevent you from accelerating as much or charging as quickly. No other way to reduce temperature than to reduce performance.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
ā€¦ā€¦. Unless your battery components get hot, right?

Isnā€™t the whole point to monitor the temp/current and reduce power if necessary?

Reducing power absolutely will impact performance.

Seems the recall is a preventative measure. And itā€™ll prevent you from accelerating as much or charging as quickly. No other way to reduce temperature than to reduce performance.
Not if it only reduces it when it pops the service vehicle soon alert... It's actually an increase in performance because instead of bricking the vehicle on the spot it still lets it be driven. Only speculating, no idea if there is or is not any performance change without the alert.

AFAIK, Ford has not made any public indication of the recall being anything beyond a safety fix. There is a good chance there is no preventive measures beyond not turning the vehicle into a brick.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Are the door modules not OTA? The package of BlueCruise OTA updates fixed the issue I was having with the lock button on the doors not working reliably.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not if it only reduces it when it pops the service vehicle soon alert... It's actually an increase in performance because instead of bricking the vehicle on the spot it still lets it be driven. Only speculating, no idea if there is or is not any performance change without the alert.

AFAIK, Ford has not made any public indication of the recall being anything beyond a safety fix. There is a good chance there is no preventive measures beyond not turning the vehicle into a brick.
If all it does is tell you when your car is already broken and needs service, then itā€™s not a good recall. Shouldnā€™t it be a preventative measure?

The only way to prevent a failure is to reduce performance or increase the durability of the part (replace it).

Any software intervention will reduce performance. It has to.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
I mentioned on an earlier post that if anyone had access to a drug strip or unused taxiway and the timing equipment, to verify if the acceleration numbers have changed.
I can add this to the discussion: a) There is no degradation to the acceleration. b) Until the module gets overheated from repeated hard acceleration, the software intervenes to protect the power contactor or c) there is a happy medium. Remember when they released the GT Performance version, they incorporated an extend mode. Have fun at the track for longer periods of time without burning the hardware to the melting point. Something similar can or would apply here also????

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
If all it does is tell you when your car is already broken and needs service, then itā€™s not a good recall. Shouldnā€™t it be a preventative measure?
That is not all it does. Before the recall it would do that and brick the car at an unsafe time. It prevents you being bricked on the middle of a highway which is a huge safety problem. Goes to warranty service at that point, but at least no one was killed.

IMHO, decreasing performance would potentially be changing the advertised specs of the vehicle and would not be a good recall.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is not all it does. Before the recall it would do that and brick the car at an unsafe time. It prevents you being bricked on the middle of a highway which is a huge safety problem. Goes to warranty service at that point, but at least no one was killed.

IMHO, decreasing performance would potentially be changing the advertised specs of the vehicle and would not be a good recall.
Oh I already believe itā€™s not a good recall. And the above is one reason why.

Sure, itā€™s better than being bricked, but it doesnā€™t seem to fix the problem.

They decreased the advertised specs of the vehicle right when the GT came out with the 5 second limit (which was not advertised at the time). So this would be nothing new.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag

I have a job 2 '21 that is eligible for the 21P22 update. I have not take my MME to the dealership yet to get the update.

Are you saying that the improved charging curve and the reported increase of the battery pack (as reported in other threads) will come with the recall software update?

Thanks!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have a job 2 '21 that is eligible for the 21P22 update. I have not take my MME to the dealership yet to get the update.

Are you saying that the improved charging curve and the reported increase of the battery pack (as reported in other threads) will come with the recall software update?

Thanks!
The improvements came before the recall update. I don't think anyone is 100% sure which update brings those enhancements because Ford has not officially announced them, but it appears based on what has been reported here the recall update includes them.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Last week I picked up my Mach E from the dealer.
In for a tire rotation at 20K and to look over my racheting noise of my louvers while charging. They did find a malfunctioning component/motor in the louver system. Also accomplished the 21P22 update which was only authorized to be done at the dealer. Ford's way of involving the dealer with some warranty work???!!! Also as so many have indicated, received a second programmable key fob. Now I have a spare. My vehicle is working fine, although I didn't notice a difference.
The next thing to be aware now is to use my balance of EA charging by 03/01/2023 or loose it.
I got to take more trips.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Last week I picked up my Mach E from the dealer.
In for a tire rotation at 20K and to look over my racheting noise of my louvers while charging. They did find a malfunctioning component/motor in the louver system. Also accomplished the 21P22 update which was only authorized to be done at the dealer. Ford's way of involving the dealer with some warranty work???!!! Also as so many have indicated, received a second programmable key fob. Now I have a spare. My vehicle is working fine, although I didn't notice a difference.
The next thing to be aware now is to use my balance of EA charging by 03/01/2023 or loose it.
I got to take more trips.
I am unhappy because I called ford and they refused to provide a second fob. I complained and, got a supervisor and a complaint number. Nothing have not heard back. They said they donā€™t provide second fobs, but people here have been getting them. What is the secret?

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I am unhappy because I called ford and they refused to provide a second fob. I complained and, got a supervisor and a complaint number. Nothing have not heard back. They said they donā€™t provide second fobs, but people here have been getting them. What is the secret?
Mention customer satisfaction program 22B10 and have them check your VIN. Or print out the bulletin and hand it to them: https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/22b10-pdf.75274/
Sponsored