DC charging

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e premium awd ext battery
Country flag
Hello this is my first post on this forum and I had an interesting experience that I wanted to share and see if anyone has had a similar one- or better yet, even has a solution.
On a recent trip to Las Vegas from Southern California I stopped at what would be my first DC charge and the car would not take the charge. I tried chargers both in and out of Network to no avail. Tried charging paying ala carte or via FordPass (which was activated and had credit card on file). Kept getting charging fault messages. Made for a trip from hell because all that worked was the level 1 or 2 chargers.
Thanks for any guidance!

G
Sponsored

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
There was a TSB a while ago for cars built early 2021 (May and before I believe) but it's pretty specific. Have you happened to see any orange wrench error icons pop up on your speedometer screen? It would have likely happened shortly after having some of these charge fault errors.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hello this is my first post on this forum and I had an interesting experience that I wanted to share and see if anyone has had a similar one- or better yet, even has a solution.
On a recent trip to Las Vegas from Southern California I stopped at what would be my first DC charge and the car would not take the charge. I tried chargers both in and out of Network to no avail. Tried charging paying ala carte or via FordPass (which was activated and had credit card on file). Kept getting charging fault messages. Made for a trip from hell because all that worked was the level 1 or 2 chargers.
Thanks for any guidance!

G
Have you tried DC charging at multiple locations? Same result each time?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Did you try calling the charger's customer support? I had an issue trying to fast charge this week for the first time in SoCal and I had to call support so they could refresh the charger.

OP
OP

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was a TSB a while ago for cars built early 2021 (May and before I believe) but it's pretty specific. Have you happened to see any orange wrench error icons pop up on your speedometer screen? It would have likely happened shortly after having some of these charge fault errors.
Yes. Orange wrench and an additional red car looking icon message. It’s at dealership now. I hope they share notes on this stuff :)

thanks, G

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
Yes. Orange wrench and an additional red car looking icon message. It’s at dealership now. I hope they share notes on this stuff :)

thanks, G
The dealership might be happy (and you if it gets you your car back faster) if you let them know about https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...t-level-3-dc-fast-charging-station-evse.7193/
The technician when I brought mine in said that saved a bunch of time and I was in and out within an hour and a half. Fixed the problem and havent had a single charge fault since! Just give them a call and suggest they look into TSB 21-2190

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Always test DC charging before going on a trip.

OP
OP

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, here is the outcome. I’d sent the information from the TSB and it clearly said DC charging in the bulletin. Turns out, they thought at the ford dealership that the level 2 plug was “DC.” They reported it as fixed (since it works fine on level 2 charging). I took it to a DC charger just a check and sure enough, still not charging. UGH. I called the service manager back who handled my car and asked him if he was sure they tried DC charging. He was adamant and said yes. When I asked him to describe what the plug looked like he could not do it. I’m sort of at a loss here.
-G

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Ok, thanks and will do!
-G
What brand of DCFC were the machines. Not the charging company (such as ElectrifyAmerica or ChargePoint), but who made the actual charging machine? Were they 50 kWh machines, off chance?

There are a few older DCFC hardware setups that are incompatible with current generation electric cars, including the Mach-e.

OP
OP

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What brand of DCFC were the machines. Not the charging company (such as ElectrifyAmerica or ChargePoint), but who made the actual charging machine? Were they 50 kWh machines, off chance?

There are a few older DCFC hardware setups that are incompatible with current generation electric cars, including the Mach-e.
I attached an image of it (not sure that helps)

thanks,
-G

F15C56B7-52F2-4951-ACB5-F4177D322C3F.png

OP
OP

gschultz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you try calling the charger's customer support? I had an issue trying to fast charge this week for the first time in SoCal and I had to call support so they could refresh the charger.
I tried like 30 various chargers nearly.

G