Dealer ordered the wrong car spec, now what?

Previper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So the dealer I ordered my car from back October ordered a standard battery instead of an extended range one. I didn’t find out until I just received the email vin and window sticker. This is a big deal breaker for me. It sucks but let’s move on to options. There are 2 dealers near me that have demo vehicles that are the exact spec that I ordered (not the one being delivered) They will come with 4000 miles. I think they should be discounted and or include an extended warranty. I would still get the tax credit. What are your thoughts on how I should negotiate and what is fair to ask for?
Sponsored

machefordy

First Name
mache
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache 2021
Country flag
Ask your dealer to trade for vehicle of your choice or swap with another dealer. They do it all the time.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would take a pretty steep discount for me to buy the car they've they've been throwing everyone the keys to for the past few months. At an absolute minimum, I would tell them that the IRS allowance for mileage is $0.56 per mile, and you would expect to see no less than $2.240 (4000 miles x $0.56) off the sticker price.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I once bought a demo Chrysler minivan with 5,800 miles. it was nearing the end of the model year.... they took $10K off just to get it off the lot to make room for the new ones and restarted the warranty. No such problem exists here, but they can and do have a lot of leeway.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Isn't the whole idea to have digital order entry and avoid mistakes? How did a human get into this and muck it up?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
It would take a pretty steep discount for me to buy the car they've they've been throwing everyone the keys to for the past few months. At an absolute minimum, I would tell them that the IRS allowance for mileage is $0.56 per mile, and you would expect to see no less than $2.240 (4000 miles x $0.56) off the sticker price.
The IRS allowance isn't relevant.

It includes fuel (gas or electricity) and insurance, which isn't relevant here. But it is for a generic vehicle, which is cheaper than Mach E.

In any case, the dealer will sell the car for maximum profit. It doesn't matter what you or me think is fair. It comes down to who's competing with OP to make an offer.

OP
OP

Previper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was thinking 1100 off, basically the delivery fee. And maybe a good discount on a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I mean the only issue here would be that you’re losing 4000 miles of warranty, or maybe they can restart that?

The car has a very comprehensive warranty so I wouldn’t worry about the car being “abused” especially since they don’t throw keys, usually the salesman hops in the car with you (at least for the Mach-e that I test driven).

If the price is right I’d say go for it. I’d insist on them doing a full interior and exterior detailing though.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Isn't the whole idea to have digital order entry and avoid mistakes? How did a human get into this and muck it up?
Absent the human doing the order, I agree.

Were I not of a trusting nature I might question the dealer’s good intentions.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
The car has a very comprehensive warranty so I wouldn’t worry about the car being “abused” especially since they don’t throw keys, usually the salesman hops in the car with you (at least for the Mach-e that I test driven).
Excepting that they handed them to me, dealer did exactly that, even said take your time, show it to your friends, etc.

And remember what happens to our cars the moment they drive off the dealer lot. Price doesn’t go down a mere $2k.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Excepting that they handed them to me, dealer did exactly that, even said take your time, show it to your friends, etc.

And remember what happens to our cars the moment they drive off the dealer lot. Price doesn’t go down a mere $2k.
Erf, that sucks.
Now that I remember I never test drove a demo model. It was always a car that was ready to sell so it made sense that they wanted to stay with me in the car.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ask your dealer to trade for vehicle of your choice or swap with another dealer. They do it all the time.
This is the answer. Dealer screwed up. He should be searching Ford dealers all over, looking for a dealer trade that you’ll accept, and of course he’s paying all transportation costs (no driving - the vehicle will be transported)
Oh, as others have pointed out, be sure you have SOMETHING that indicates you expected to get the Extended Range. Email, screen shot, repeated checking of your window sticker? Something.

OP
OP

Previper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is the answer. Dealer screwed up. He should be searching Ford dealers all over, looking for a dealer trade that you’ll accept, and of course he’s paying all transportation costs (no driving - the vehicle will be transported)
Oh, as others have pointed out, be sure you have SOMETHING that indicates you expected to get the Extended Range. Email, screen shot, repeated checking of your window sticker? Something.
They fully accept responsibility that something happened in their end, we both have the signed copy of my requested order form (white exterior, black interior, premium, rear wheel dive, extended range). With x plan pricing.
Sponsored