Dealer ordered the wrong car spec, now what?

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
If other local dealers have what you want, why are you asking a forum instead of calling them and seeing what they want for them?
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If other local dealers have what you want, why are you asking a forum instead of calling them and seeing what they want for them?
They don’t, they have used ones that are part of Ford’s FCTP. If I understand OP correctly he is wondering whether to try and get one of those lightly used ones or hold out for a new one from somewhere.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So the dealer I ordered my car from back October ordered a standard battery instead of an extended range one. I didn’t find out until I just received the email vin and window sticker. This is a big deal breaker for me. It sucks but let’s move on to options. There are 2 dealers near me that have demo vehicles that are the exact spec that I ordered (not the one being delivered) They will come with 4000 miles. I think they should be discounted and or include an extended warranty. I would still get the tax credit. What are your thoughts on how I should negotiate and what is fair to ask for?
Bummer. Lots of folks on the Forum have found new MMEs on lots and managed to get them without ADM. You might want to try that first.

One concern I would have with the FCTPs is the chip shortage and limited car supplies. The longer you wait to buy the less leverage you may have to get much of a deal.

Has your dealer offered to help you find a replacement since they were at fault?

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
For most people, standard range is enough. With that being said, I drive 45 miles to work one way so I totally understand wanting the extended range.

A few options: Have them re order it. Waiting would suck, but you could push for a discount due to the wait as they did mess up.

Find another dealership with the correct specs, even if its further out that's cancelled order (https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mach-e/results).

Have your dealer trade for the demo unit with the specs you want. Take a discount on top of the x plan due to their mess up and the mileage on it. Remember 4k miles in an EV is very different than 4k miles in an ICE vehicle. If anything, 4k miles is 10% of an average tires life so get $ for that too (or have them give you free tire rotations and alignments.. your maintenance would be next to $0 beyond buying new tires!)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how the dealer handles it.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Check with the dealer and your tax preparer on the $7500 IRS incentive, depending if the dealer will sell that as a new or used car, that could impact the eligibility. So you can negotiate that in the price.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Check with the dealer and your tax preparer on the $7500 IRS incentive, depending if the dealer will sell that as a new or used car, that could impact the eligibility. So you can negotiate that in the price.
FCTP (demo) cars are never titled and sold as new, so they are eligible for the $7500 incentive as well as state incentives.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
FCTP (demo) cars are never titled and sold as new, so they are eligible for the $7500 incentive as well as state incentives.
The dealer in Denver, MA registered the demo car, not using the typical dealer plate. Im not sure that can be sold as new car after a regular registration in the RMV.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The dealer in Denver, MA registered the demo car, not using the typical dealer plate. Im not sure that can be sold as new car after a regular registration in the RMV.
Odd. This is a good point that there will be exceptions when the dealer doesn't follow protocols or if there are states that require a different procedure from what is normally followed.

daniel9478

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The warranty mileage doesn’t start until sold.
That used to be the case, but Ford changed it a couple of years back. The in-service mileage no longer affects the length of the warranty, except in certain cases such as heavy-duty trucks that have to be driven offsite to have non-assembly line modifications/installations.

OP
OP

Previper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For most people, standard range is enough. With that being said, I drive 45 miles to work one way so I totally understand wanting the extended range.

A few options: Have them re order it. Waiting would suck, but you could push for a discount due to the wait as they did mess up.

Find another dealership with the correct specs, even if its further out that's cancelled order (https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mach-e/results).

Have your dealer trade for the demo unit with the specs you want. Take a discount on top of the x plan due to their mess up and the mileage on it. Remember 4k miles in an EV is very different than 4k miles in an ICE vehicle. If anything, 4k miles is 10% of an average tires life so get $ for that too (or have them give you free tire rotations and alignments.. your maintenance would be next to $0 beyond buying new tires!)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how the dealer handles it.
Good call on the tire milage.

So there are 2 dealers with demo cars that are my spec.

The first dealer I called said they wouldn’t budge in the price and in fact wanted to charge over retail. I said I’m pretty sure Ford frowns on that and he didn’t seem to care. This car is from a competing dealer so they don’t care about my situation and I can’t really fault them for that.

The second dealer is a sister dealer of the one that I ordered from. They fall under the same dealer umbrella. This car is my best chance of getting a deal and hopefully they will try to make the situation right. The sales person didn’t seem too interested in working to get it straightened out and simply said we can order another one. They said they submitted the right order and the factory just built the wrong car… I’m not trying to wait another 6 months for a car. I may go in tomorrow and try to speak with the GM.

OP
OP

Previper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So the dealer says they ordered the right vehicle and that Ford built and shipped the wrong spec. I called Ford customer service and they weren’t much help. How can you build the wrong vehicle? The dealer I ordered from has a space white awd instead of a star white rear wheel drive. I just don’t think I should have to pay the entire additional $2100, for a car I didn’t really order, for a mistake made by Ford.
Sponsored