jinshan4ever

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Hi everyone, I’m not a MME owner but am considering one. I had no experience in EV and started to look about 4 months ago. After some research, MME Premium RWD SR becomes my choice but unfortunately Ford stopped accepting orders for 2022 model at that time.

As you know when the order bank reopened for 2023 model the particular trim I am interested receive zero upgrade except for a $6800 price increase.

It does hurt, as the price increase basically washes away the entire amount of tax credit… I have not booked one yet, mainly because there will be so many more EVs coming out in 2023 (Chevy, Fisker Ocean, Nissan, etc.) and MME (which is pretty much the same car from 2 years ago) no longer seem to stand out among the competitions, at least on paper. Maybe I am missing something.

I still consider MME to be my #1 target, but the extra price is hard to swallow as those 2023 EVs from other manufacturers seem to offer more technologies with lower prices than a “2021 MME equivalent”. I know MME will get new LFP batteries next year, does it mean there will be a cheaper trim/option or a range upgrade? If so, at least it will make me feel I don’t pay the higher price tag for nothing.

I know this ultimately is my own decision but would love the experts here to point out if I am missing something or share your thoughts. Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yeah, here's the thing, hesitation on this doesn't benefit you. I love my MME, but I understand why you are reconsidering about the choice. However, if you don't reserve something, you are unlikely to get anything. MMEs, Fisker's, Nissans are all going to be supply constrained. You are going to have to order something and wait, or get hot by a ridiculous ADM, any which way you cut it.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I would avoid 1st year EV, even 2nd year EV. I think ford will have most of the major bug worked out in the 2023 year. There will be little bugs here and there, but the major one, HVBJB will have been fixed. The MachE is a good overall vehicle.

But regarding EV overall, I would not get one unless you have a garage and able to charge at home. I would not depend on public charging.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Find a good dealer you can trust and order a Select. Use the savings to get a streak dinner or 30.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
In the next 5 years there will be some interesting advancements in EVs. Better batteries, faster charging, better range, all the above. I don't think they will get much less expensive. Don't know which one of these will be the best. The Mach E is the best one NOW.

The is my wife's car but I really like driving it. It replaced our 2007 Prius. Love the charging at home just wish I could drive it more often.

Enjoy the hunt.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I bought mine right at the beginning because I liked how it looks and it was something new. I still have it because nothing else out there strikes me as something better or better looking (or it’s just too expensive.)

Buy what you want and want what you buy.

OP
OP

jinshan4ever

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Thank you guys! Very encouraging. By chance does anyone think the LFP batteries will make a difference?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
My understanding LFP will be more weight for the same range and more loss in cold weather. Cheaper and more available are the reasons, my guess is Ford will not pass on the cost savings. Glad I am not getting a LFP car.

Not saying LFP are all bad, I would love to have a bank of them on my sailboat.

OP
OP

jinshan4ever

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
My understanding LFP will be more weight for the same range and more loss in cold weather. Cheaper and more available are the reasons, my guess is Ford will not pass on the cost savings. Glad I am not getting a LFP car.

Not saying LFP are all bad, I would love to have a bank of them on my sailboat.
Thank you! Curious if the range is truly affected (either more or less), will there be a different option vs. blended with NCM models.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
When I was young and tried to save for down payment on my first home, the longer I saved the less able I was to purchase due price increases.

When it comes to ordering your EV, time is not on your side if you wait. Watch reviews on YouTube, take test drives, place your order. Lock it in.

There will always be something newer and with better features. Look at iPhones and PC’s. Did you wait?

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
You didn't tell us why you want an electric vehicle, or what you hope to use your vehicle for. If you can tell us that then we might be able to tell you if it's a good time to buy and whether the Mach-E is the vehicle to get, or something else.

Personally, I am all-in on electric. Have a massive solar array, multiple Powerwalls, and of course a level 2 charger in my garage, so I drive for free every day and don't miss wasting time at gas stations. But this is the ultimate EV setup, and having done the EV life in a condo without any chargers, I can say that EVs aren't for everyone at this point, depending on circumstances and expectations.

OP
OP

jinshan4ever

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
You didn't tell us why you want an electric vehicle, or what you hope to use your vehicle for. If you can tell us that then we might be able to tell you if it's a good time to buy and whether the Mach-E is the vehicle to get, or something else.

Personally, I am all-in on electric. Have a massive solar array, multiple Powerwalls, and of course a level 2 charger in my garage, so I drive for free every day and don't miss wasting time at gas stations. But this is the ultimate EV setup, and having done the EV life in a condo without any chargers, I can say that EVs aren't for everyone at this point, depending on circumstances and expectations.
It’s time to replace my 12 yr old Prius and I’m going EV. Also working on getting solar installed due to electricity price hikes.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Totally understand and agree with the longer you wait the more you may have to pay idea. I think I will just wait a few more weeks until the LA Auto Show (2nd half of November), to see other models in person, then make my final decision. Hopefully MME is still my first choice at that time!

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
When we looked at replacing our Prius we looked at the Nissan Leaf, Chevrolet Bolt, and Tesla Model 3. They seemed the closest in form factor and price. The Model 3 has gone up in price since then. We went with a Leaf at that time. Nissan couldn't quite match Toyota's quality, and while the Leaf had similar dimensions as the Prius, it felt a lot smaller on the inside. Toyota did some amazing work with the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Priuses in terms of space utilization. Still, the Leaf was a heck of a lot more fun to drive than the Prius. The Prius was my favorite car of its time, and the Leaf easily took that title from it.

The Mach-E replaced our Leaf. It is a larger vehicle, but much more spacious (and luxurious). We have solar and Powerwalls, and the Mach-E does take more energy than the Leaf did, which makes sense. At this price point, competitors would be the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 (possibly the Ioniq 6, but I don't know enough about it). I test drove an EV6 while waiting for my Mach-E and there was a lot to like about it. I think Kia (and by extension, possibly Hyundai?) might have perfected the EV controls in terms of how easily you can adjust regenerative braking strength and enabling and disabling one-pedal driving. I stuck with the Mach-E over the EV6 because I think the interior space of the Mach-E was ever so slightly more (which was key for me); I liked wireless Apple CarPlay (EV6 surprisingly lacks it); I really wanted the panoramic sunroof (EV6 only offered a standard sunroof); and I really wanted a true frunk. Of course, I haven't used the frunk once since getting the car, but I do plan to use it regularly for my groceries... I just haven't gotten over wanting to keep my groceries in the climate-controlled part of the car.

Going from a gas-powered car to an electric vehicle is amazing and feels revolutionary. The acceleration, the silence, skipping gas stations... Going between electric vehicles doesn't feel quite as big. The 0-60 time on my Mach-E is about half that of what my Leaf was, but for the speeds that generally matter for my driving, both vehicles could push me back in my seat and felt incredibly zippy. The Mach-E just makes you not realize you're hitting 70 MPH because it still has power to spare and it feels effortless, whereas you knew you'd hit 60 MPH with the Leaf.

Aside from the Kia and Hyundai vehicles, the Mach-E has new competition inbound, as well. It's reaching the point where it's no longer enough to decide you want an EV - now you need to figure what kind of vehicle you want, and then possibly, how long you're willing to wait for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jinshan4ever

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
When we looked at replacing our Prius we looked at the Nissan Leaf, Chevrolet Bolt, and Tesla Model 3. They seemed the closest in form factor and price. The Model 3 has gone up in price since then. We went with a Leaf at that time. Nissan couldn't quite match Toyota's quality, and while the Leaf had similar dimensions as the Prius, it felt a lot smaller on the inside. Toyota did some amazing work with the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Priuses in terms of space utilization. Still, the Leaf was a heck of a lot more fun to drive than the Prius. The Prius was my favorite car of its time, and the Leaf easily took that title from it.

The Mach-E replaced our Leaf. It is a larger vehicle, but much more spacious (and luxurious). We have solar and Powerwalls, and the Mach-E does take more energy than the Leaf did, which makes sense. At this price point, competitors would be the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 (possibly the Ioniq 6, but I don't know enough about it). I test drove an EV6 while waiting for my Mach-E and there was a lot to like about it. I think Kia (and by extension, possibly Hyundai?) might have perfected the EV controls in terms of how easily you can adjust regenerative braking strength and enabling and disabling one-pedal driving. I stuck with the Mach-E over the EV6 because I think the interior space of the Mach-E was ever so slightly more (which was key for me); I liked wireless Apple CarPlay (EV6 surprisingly lacks it); I really wanted the panoramic sunroof (EV6 only offered a standard sunroof); and I really wanted a true frunk. Of course, I haven't used the frunk once since getting the car, but I do plan to use it regularly for my groceries... I just haven't gotten over wanting to keep my groceries in the climate-controlled part of the car.

Going from a gas-powered car to an electric vehicle is amazing and feels revolutionary. The acceleration, the silence, skipping gas stations... Going between electric vehicles doesn't feel quite as big. The 0-60 time on my Mach-E is about half that of what my Leaf was, but for the speeds that generally matter for my driving, both vehicles could push me back in my seat and felt incredibly zippy. The Mach-E just makes you not realize you're hitting 70 MPH because it still has power to spare and it feels effortless, whereas you knew you'd hit 60 MPH with the Leaf.

Aside from the Kia and Hyundai vehicles, the Mach-E has new competition inbound, as well. It's reaching the point where it's no longer enough to decide you want an EV - now you need to figure what kind of vehicle you want, and then possibly, how long you're willing to wait for it.
This is super helpful, Thank you! Yes we love our Prius, all the technologies it carries made it feel like a “Tesla in the 2000’s”. Now it’s 2022 and EV is the new generation, I’m sure I will be as excited as I was when I first got the Prius.

I was debating with myself between a MME and Ioniq 5 Limited. I know there are pros and cons in both but the batteries in Ioniq as well as the comfortable driving (from reading the reviews) makes Ioniq a better choice originally, but the extreme limited availability as well as losing tax credit is the deal breaker. The other solid competitor of the MME Premium is Blazer EV, which specs look better in almost all aspects on paper and it’s a few grants cheaper. I definitive like the looking of the MME better, that’s why I wanted to see the blazer in auto show so I can say for sure. Of course there are other factors about the Blazer like being a 1st yr model, unknown wait time, etc. I really hope the MME could improve its batteries then I will place an order with no doubt.. unfortunately the LFP batteries doesn’t seem to be the game changer. :(
Sponsored