Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Hmmm. Real or troll? @phil4791eng joined today to tell us this.
Yeah .... that’s a bit suspicious. With that said, hope he’s happy with his choice, presuming there was a choice made and not an exercise in fictional Internet posting.
Sponsored

phil4791eng

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Curious why you cancelled? If you got as far as giving the dealer a deposit, you must have actually placed an order with the dealer (not just the early reservation deposit with Ford).
Yes, I reserved with Ford and then converted it to an order at the end of June. The fact that my delivery may not happen until next year was just weighing on me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I give him the benefit of the doubt -- real for now. Just would like to know more details such as whether he contacted the dealer about deposits before ordering, and reasons for cancelling.
Same here, thus my question to clarify. But I had the same thought.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, I reserved with Ford and then converted it to an order at the end of June. The fact that my delivery may not happen until next year was just weighing on me.
Fair enough. The timing was expected given a 2-month COVID delay on top of deliveries originally planned to only begin in late 2020 anyway, but I understand some just couldn't wait that long.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I just cancelled my Mach e order and the dealer (Reynolds Ford - Norman, OK) wouldn’t refund any of my $500. They can do that but that Is the last dealer I will ever do business with. I’m now ordering a Model Y online.
Just curious....how did the well-documented "fit and finish" problems on the Model Y factor into your decision? Also, how about the overall looks and the "bland" appearance, as it relates to the Mach-E (subjective, I know)? I was also considering a Model Y, but I've seen way too many videos about panel gaps and poor quality.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's hard not to consider getting the Model Y now since it's available and the MME likely won't be around for many more months.

If you're truly pondering a MME, it seems to make sense to wait til at least the journalist reviews come out in September or October and the inevitable head-to-head Tesla comparison videos are made before making the decision. It's $50k-60k and I can't understand dropping that much money on a car without being fully informed about available choices.

@DaveRuns, some Model Ys have hidden cargo dirt capabilities.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Just curious....how did the well-documented "fit and finish" problems on the Model Y factor into your decision? Also, how about the overall looks and the "bland" appearance, as it relates to the Mach-E (subjective, I know)? I was also considering a Model Y, but I've seen way too many videos about panel gaps and poor quality.
Always keep in mind that Tesla = Clicks. Negative Tesla = Lots of clicks. They have their problems but the majority of people are very happy with them. Tesla is the most shorted stock on the market (or at least was a few weeks ago). There are a lot of people with TONS of money riding on trying to drive their stock price down.

Nobody gives a damn to post a video about panel gaps and poor quality on a Jaguar, or Chevy or Ford. Doesn't mean they don't have issues also. Just means no one would care to click on those videos.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
Model Y does have several advantages. Speed, Supercharger network, customers requested features, and it is available now.

People that have a lease do not have the luxury to wait for MME.

I am waiting for MME. Don't care too much about Speed or Supercharger network. Wireless Apple Carplay is a big factor for me. Also, I prefer a $50K car that looks and feels like a $50K car. Many other small details and bad experiences with Tesla.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Always keep in mind that Tesla = Clicks. Negative Tesla = Lots of clicks. They have their problems but the majority of people are very happy with them.
I have a friend with a late model year Model S (2018 maybe). His comments about the model S and Tesla? "They have real quality issues but it's the best car I've ever owned."

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I have a friend with a late model year Model S (2018 maybe). His comments about the model S and Tesla? "They have real quality issues but it's the best car I've ever owned."
So what does that statement really mean? Reliability? Lack of other maintenance? Quiet? Drives well? Fun? Why does he come to that conclusion?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So what does that statement really mean? Reliability? Lack of other maintenance? Quiet? Drives well? Fun? Why does he come to that conclusion?
The quality issues he refers to relate to interior trim fit problems for the most part, and to a much lesser extent, some exterior panel fits (though nowhere near as bad as the model y). Nothing is ever 100% right regardless of the manufacturer though. His comment about the quality issues is that he will see something that's just "not quite right" on the car and it reinforces his opinion that Tesla isn't really a car company, it's a software company that makes cars. As for why he likes it? It's a high-end vehicle, well made for the most part, that he feels he has earned (he has, but that's another story) and it's the performance edition -- he's honest that he likes being the fastest car around and can easily beat everything. He particularly likes beating the Corvettes in the area. Not that anyone would ever race on public roads. And it gets attention in the Redding and Red Bluff area (though I doubt he's the only Model S owner there).

Last edited:

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From my POV, the biggest thing is the driving experience. There is nothing else that gives the same driving experience in the same price range (I have a Model 3 LR AWD with performance boost). The acceleration is intoxicating. The way it feels, handles and reacts on the road is just fun. Add to that the tech like Autopilot which I use 90% of the time, and the constant OTA updates, it makes it a joy to drive. It's smooth, fast, and fun.

I also find some of the complaints a little mind boggling to me. I get that some people have had major issues, but the majority of items are things like panel gaps, and scratches and stuff. Those are all either easily fixed (and most of the time Tesla will do that) or things that really don't effect the ownership experience. So when people say they avoid Tesla due to the things like Panel gaps, it's just weird. You are basically saying that panel gaps are more important than having an extremely fun well rounded car. That you would rather go buy a boring car with not as good as tech ... so your panel gaps are equal. That's just crazy to me. Sure it would be ideal to have it all, but as of right now, that doesn't exist in any car. Most are missing one of Build Quality, Speed/Drivability fun or Tech.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you're truly pondering a MME, it seems to make sense to wait til at least the journalist reviews come out in September or October and the inevitable head-to-head Tesla comparison videos are made before making the decision.
That's one aspect of the recent insider info that "Job 1" (production of first customer units) being reportedly being moved up from Oct 26 to Sept 28 that I'd forgotten about... those first reviews/videos with actual vehicles should be out a month sooner! :cool:

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
From my POV, the biggest thing is the driving experience. There is nothing else that gives the same driving experience in the same price range (I have a Model 3 LR AWD with performance boost). The acceleration is intoxicating. The way it feels, handles and reacts on the road is just fun. Add to that the tech like Autopilot which I use 90% of the time, and the constant OTA updates, it makes it a joy to drive. It's smooth, fast, and fun.

I also find some of the complaints a little mind boggling to me. I get that some people have had major issues, but the majority of items are things like panel gaps, and scratches and stuff. Those are all either easily fixed (and most of the time Tesla will do that) or things that really don't effect the ownership experience. So when people say they avoid Tesla due to the things like Panel gaps, it's just weird. You are basically saying that panel gaps are more important than having an extremely fun well rounded car. That you would rather go buy a boring car with not as good as tech ... so your panel gaps are equal. That's just crazy to me. Sure it would be ideal to have it all, but as of right now, that doesn't exist in any car. Most are missing one of Build Quality, Speed/Drivability fun or Tech.
Is it crazy to expect that after spending $60K on a vehicle, it wouldnt have any imperfections? Especially ones that are so obvious and it's a wonder how they let it out of the factory. Doesn't make sense to me.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it crazy to expect that after spending $60K on a vehicle, it wouldnt have any imperfections? Especially ones that are so obvious and it's a wonder how they let it out of the factory. Doesn't make sense to me.
Is it crazy to spend $60k on a vehicle and that it would be slow, not fun to drive or woefully behind on tech/interfaces?

It's a trade off. Yet again. Name an EV that's 60k that has near perfect build quality (no car manufacturer has perfect quality and it's very rare for a car to have "no imperfections"), is crazy fun to drive, and has some probably the best overall tech package.

To me, I'll gladly take some panel gaps, if it means i have the crazy fun to drive and the best tech. Once there is a car that fits all three ... i'll reconsider. Right now it doesn't exist. (TBD on Polestar 2 )
Sponsored