Difficult Test drive experience

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Any other reservation holders having difficulty being able to test drive Mach-E’s when going to your dealership? I had a very off-putting experience today...
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Any other reservation holders having difficulty being able to test drive Mach-E’s when going to your dealership? I had a very off-putting experience today...
I have one scheduled through my dealer tomorrow. Right now, I'm just disappointed that he is saying I will only have an hour with the car.

A couple of weeks ago, I scheduled a test drive through another dealer because they just happened to have a car first. I arrived on time only to find out someone else was test driving the car. I waited for 30 minutes, but then decided that was long enough and ended up leaving. The dealer had the exact model I wanted in their showroom. They weren't allowing test drives of that one and asking $5k over MSRP. I tried to negotiate them down to MSRP. If they would have done that< i would have bought it on the spot. When I told him I just wouldn't go any higher than MSRP because I have one coming soon, he got mad and asked why I wasted his time.

I just think some salesman are good at their jobs and some aren't. And if the demand in your area is high for the Mach-E, the bad ones can just move on to the next buyer without worry. Someone will ignore their rudeness or pay what they are asking.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I didn’t try but the dealer in NYC that I bought my MME has a white demo for test driving. They had it plugged in when i picked mine up last weekend. The dealership is Ford of Queens Blvd. I dealt with the sales manager.

Good that he knew he cannot sell it for a certain period of time (I think 3-6 months) or certain number of miles. I think 3,000 miles.

For some weird reason Ford sent them an extra FE which they sold within a day.

Where are you located?

OP
OP

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Ok so I’ll share my experience, I just left a few minutes ago.

I live about 40 miles from the dealership I ended up selecting due to them promising to not do any ridiculous ADM charge ups.

I contact the dealership Friday and confirm that I have a reservation and would like to come in to test drive since my vehicle is scheduled to be built in a few days. The sales rep is friendly,asks me what time I’d like to come in, we set a time, I receive a text confirming.

Today, I arrive on time for my appointment, and the receptionist sends someone over to take my ID. I wait a few minutes after handing over my ID and the rep returns and tells me I won’t be able to do a test drive “because they don’t have any cars available/ the person I spoke to must have been misinformed “. I explain that’s odd, since they confirmed before setting the appointment and clarify I drove 40 MILES today explicitly for this test drive. I remind him I’ve already reserved a car. He apologizes, a bit nonchalant/passively. I grit my teeth and leave.

As I’m heading to my car guess what I see...a couple pulling out in a grey mach-e. I decide to wait and see if they return because “maybe they just purchased theirs and are happily driving theirs home”. While I wait I call another dealership to see if they have any available to test drive and they confirm they do. As I’m getting ready to leave for the other dealership I notice the couple has returned. I stop for a second to chat them up — low and behold they just wrapped up a test drive! We exchange a few pleasantries about our mutual enthusiasm about the car and I head back into the dealership.

A salesman asks as I enter if he can help me with anything l, and I let him know that I’d love to test drive the mach-e out front if there aren’t any other folks on the waiting list. He says sure, comes back with another gentleman who confirms I’m on the list. I chat with this gentleman for a bit, but get the sense he’s sizing me up a bit...which seems odd since I’ve again mentioned in passing I already reserved my model, I’m just interested in test driving before it’s actually delivered. I entertain him a bit, sure why not talk the shape of the EV industry and show just how obsessively I’ve been researching EVs for years.

A few minutes later another guy comes up and gives a whole “I’m sorry no one is available today to assist you with a test drive today” but that I’m welcome to take a look inside. I decline, noting I’m pretty familiar with the interior after poring over photos, reviews and videos for months and made the trip to get a feel for how the car drives and promptly leave. By this point this whole charade has went on almost an hour past when the scheduled test drive. I calmly left, reiterating it’s really bad customer service to deny someone who’s already paid the ability to test drive when you’ve confirmed it (I didn’t even mention letting other people test drive with little to no explanation)

I’d like to not assume anything but for reference the couple who I literally saw leave and return for a test drive during my reserved time was White. I’m a Black man, who honestly is glad my wife wasn’t with me because the entire experience was enraging/humiliating and she likely would have discouraged me from even bothering with Ford at all...and honestly depending on if I can change my reservation to another dealership or have a satisfactory explanation — may just decide to get something else altogether.

The only scenarios I can assume are:
a) these were some weird racist discriminatory assholes
b) they’re trying to block reservation holders from driving Mach-E’s fearing they’ll cancel (which seems unlikely since they won’t have a problem marking up and selling for even more)

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
It’s hit or miss depending on the dealer. I honestly do believe the stories I’ve read that some dealers are working to sabotage EV sales.

I stopped at a dealer here in Tampa yesterday and they have their demo vehicle in their showroom. I called ahead and they said no test drives allowed, but you can come look at it (gee, thanks lol). Long story, but I wanted to show a family member the vehicle and this dealer was the closest.

After I got there, the greeters welcomed me and once they found out I was looking for the Mach e, they pretty much said oh yeah it’s over there and that was it. The car was locked and so then I went back over and asked if it could be opened and they then told me sorry, it’s not allowed to be opened. You can only see it from the outside.

Ford really needs to hire secret shoppers and start finding out which dealers to put their EV investments in. Ridiculous.

On a side note, the dealer I ordered from (the other dealer didn’t know this) was very gracious and offered me the keys for a test drive. So it’s hit or miss.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

I live about 40 miles from the dealership I ended up selecting due to them promising to not do any ridiculous ADM charge ups.

I contact the dealership Friday and confirm that I have a reservation and would like to come in to test drive since my vehicle is scheduled to be built in a few days. The sales rep is friendly,asks me what time I’d like to come in, we set a time, I receive a text confirming.

Today, I arrive on time for my appointment, and the receptionist sends someone over to take my ID. I wait a few minutes after handing over my ID and the rep returns and tells me I won’t be able to do a test drive “because they don’t have any cars available/ the person I spoke to must have been misinformed “. I explain that’s odd, since they confirmed before setting the appointment and clarify I drove 40 MILES today explicitly for this test drive. I remind him I’ve already reserved a car. He apologizes, a bit nonchalant/passively. I grit my teeth and leave.

As I’m heading to my car guess what I see...a couple pulling out in a grey mach-e. I decide to wait and see if they return because “maybe they just purchased theirs and are happily driving theirs home”. While I wait I call another dealership to see if they have any available to test drive and they confirm they do. As I’m getting ready to leave for the other dealership I notice the couple has returned. I stop for a second to chat them up — low and behold they just wrapped up a test drive! We exchange a few pleasantries about our mutual enthusiasm about the car and I head back into the dealership.

A salesman asks as I enter if he can help me with anything l, and I let him know that I’d love to test drive the mach-e out front if there aren’t any other folks on the waiting list. He says sure, comes back with another gentleman who confirms I’m on the list. I chat with this gentleman for a bit, but get the sense he’s sizing me up a bit...which seems odd since I’ve again mentioned in passing I already reserved my model, I’m just interested in test driving before it’s actually delivered. I entertain him a bit, sure why not talk the shape of the EV industry and show just how obsessively I’ve been researching EVs for years.

A few minutes later another guy comes up and gives a whole “I’m sorry no one is available today to assist you with a test drive today” but that I’m welcome to take a look inside. I decline, noting I’m pretty familiar with the interior after poring over photos, reviews and videos for months and made the trip to get a feel for how the car drives and promptly leave. By this point this whole charade has went on almost an hour past when the scheduled test drive. I calmly left, reiterating it’s really bad customer service to deny someone who’s already paid the ability to test drive when you’ve confirmed it (I didn’t even mention letting other people test drive with little to no explanation)

I’d like to not assume anything but for reference the couple who I literally saw leave and return for a test drive during my reserved time was White. I’m a Black man, who honestly is glad my wife wasn’t with me because the entire experience was enraging/humiliating and she likely would have discouraged me from even bothering with Ford at all...and honestly depending on if I can change my reservation to another dealership or have a satisfactory explanation — may just decide to get something else altogether.

b) they’re trying to block reservation holders from driving Mach-E’s fearing they’ll cancel (which seems unlikely since they won’t have a problem marking up and selling for even more)
That’s awful to hear and Ford corporate should be ashamed to have that dealer displaying their name.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
My dealer has a reservation system where you can go and schedule it online, selecting from any times available. The only kind of "bad" thing - the test drive is only 30 minutes.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
It’s hit or miss depending on the dealer. I honestly do believe the stories I’ve read that some dealers are working to sabotage EV sales.

I stopped at a dealer here in Tampa yesterday and they have their demo vehicle in their showroom. I called ahead and they said no test drives allowed, but you can come look at it (gee, thanks lol). Long story, but I wanted to show a family member the vehicle and this dealer was the closest.

After I got there, the greeters welcomed me and once they found out I was looking for the Mach e, they pretty much said oh yeah it’s over there and that was it. The car was locked and so then I went back over and asked if it could be opened and they then told me sorry, it’s not allowed to be opened. You can only see it from the outside.

Ford really needs to hire secret shoppers and start finding out which dealers to put their EV investments in. Ridiculous.

On a side note, the dealer I ordered from (the other dealer didn’t know this) was very gracious and offered me the keys for a test drive. So it’s hit or miss.
I really wish Ford would be looking into the dealer model a little more closely, especially for EVs. If they are serious about the EV market, they need to revamp the system. Most people dread dealing with the dealer for the sales process (I know I do.) The part that amazes me is how poorly it reflects on Ford. Yes, in theory the dealers are somewhat "independent", but the giant signs at the dealership say "Ford."

Ford should care more about how customers are treated. In the hotel world (Marriott, for instance), properties are constantly reviewed for quality and customer service. Any hotel not up to snuff is under threat of losing their "flag" and no longer able to represent the Marriott brand. Ford should behave similarly.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag

You definitely need to let Ford corporate know. At least use Twitter to tell the problems with the dealership.

Emma Bergg
Global EV Communications Manager for Ford Motor Company, mother of two not-so-small people. Opinions my own etc Instagram
@ebergg

Jim Farley
@jimfarley98
Mustang and racing fan. CEO
@Ford

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag

If your order is with that dealer, call Ford to have it switched to another dealer, explaining why. Whatever the reason, the is no reason to put up with that BS.

OP
OP

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That’s awful to hear and Ford corporate should be ashamed to have that dealer displaying their name.
Yeah, I’m contacting corporate first thing in the morning. I’m definitely going to give them the name of this dealer and request at the least they can transfer my reservation to another dealer with no delay since my Mach-E is literally scheduled to be built tomorrow.

I’ll give them a chance to rectify the situation, and if nothing comes of it — off to Twitter I go...
Sponsored