Disappointed with mileage / range claim

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
No: they are selling EV's to "mainstream" customers that don't obsess over a forum for a year before buying the car. The problem is that Ford is too afraid to tell people that their winter range will be 25% to 40% lower, but does their very best to highlight how EV's aren't any different than ICE cars.
It took me about 2 minutes of reading reviews when first looking at EVs to know that winter affects range significantly. It might also be because I've used a phone in the cold and noticed it dies much more quickly than normal. I guess we just shouldn't have any expectations of anyone anymore. Why learn when you can complain loudly?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It took me about 2 minutes of reading reviews when first looking at EVs to know that winter affects range significantly. It might also be because I've used a phone in the cold and noticed it dies much more quickly than normal. I guess we just shouldn't have any expectations of anyone anymore. Why learn when you can complain loudly?
I haven't looked lately, but the professional car reviews I've seen (C&D, CR, etc) never mention the range drop in winter. They highlight the torque, fun, technology, etc. They even talk about charging, sometimes negatively, but overall are positive in their tone towards the differences between EVs and ICE.

jujaku

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium
Occupation
IT/NW
Country flag
'22 prem rwd sr 3300 miles
Today(65F) my GOM shows 60% and 114 miles (190 miles at 100%)
DFW in TX...mostly city driving
SIGH...

Meanwhile my HI5 SE RWD GOM shows 330 miles at 100%

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
No: they are selling EV's to "mainstream" customers that don't obsess over a forum for a year before buying the car. The problem is that Ford is too afraid to tell people that their winter range will be 25% to 40% lower, but does their very best to highlight how EV's aren't any different than ICE cars.
Ford isn't afraid to do so. Ford is specifically prohibited from saying so. They can only advertise one range figure: the one derived from the EPA tests. As there isn't a winter test, they can't advertise a winter range.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Not to go political, but you've pretty much summed up the basic ideologies in America - Libertarian, Moderate, Liberal, and Conservative, 1 sentence each, in order.

Which is, on topic, a big part of why there are threads like this. A lot of threads like this.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It took over 2000 miles of driving before the GOM was even close to accurately estimating the range based on my driving. I was not pleased that I received my AWD extended range with an estimate of 219 at 100%, but after reading the forums and driving those 2000 miles averaging 3.7miles/kwh, my range has consistently been well above the EPA rating.
I am rather disappointed with Mileage claim, below is my charging information, normal driving conditions. Select RWD purchased on 8/11/22

Mileage Claim, following is my data, had several charges at 110 V 15 Amps ,Current ODO 1100 miles
9/24/22 83% 190 mile range
10/13/22 89% 198
10/17/22 84% 184
10/30/22 80% 172
11/7/22 100% 212 (Ford Claims 244 miles at 100%)
11/20/22 81% 161 (Garage Temperature 62 F)

Would highly appreciate your comments.
So many variables. I found driving 95 in 10 degree weather will really eat the milage. 1.7 kwh per mile. Had to slow to 80 to make next charger at one point. Around town can go up to 3.5 kwh per mile. You didn't worry in ICE wether you were getting advertised 30 mpg or 20 mpg you just filled up when empty. Same with ev on road trip. Only differance need to be aware where a charger is as they are not on every corner. Most ICE vehicles do not get advertised mpg either. Does it get me where I want to go? Yes. Do sometimes I need to slow to 80? Yes. A sacrifice I can make. Just as a side note there are some rural areas I can't get to even slowing to 80. Yes you MT and WY.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So many variables. I found driving 95 in 10 degree weather will really eat the milage. 1.7 kwh per mile. Had to slow to 80 to make next charger at one point. Around town can go up to 3.5 kwh per mile. You didn't worry in ICE wether you were getting advertised 30 mpg or 20 mpg you just filled up when empty. Same with ev on road trip. Only differance need to be aware where a charger is as they are not on every corner. Most ICE vehicles do not get advertised mpg either. Does it get me where I want to go? Yes. Do sometimes I need to slow to 80? Yes. A sacrifice I can make. Just as a side note there are some rural areas I can't get to even slowing to 80. Yes you MT and WY.
Maybe try slowing to 70 and see your range go up significantly...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
/ComplainMode = 1
They need to get rid of the GOM
/ComplainMode =0

🤪🐩

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
/ComplainMode = 1
They need to get rid of the GOM
/ComplainMode =0

🤪🐩
But, Math are Hard! And to figure out if you'll get where you want to go you have to do it twice! That's (let me see, carry the 2, substitute pie (no cake), yep) much more harder.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
But, Math are Hard! And to figure out if you'll get where you want to go you have to do it twice! That's (let me see, carry the 2, substitute pie (no cake), yep) much more harder.
No substitute pies! Gotta have the Apple and the pumpkin! 🤪🐩

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
It's better to have a little anxiety rather than skip getting a charge and being stranded
Yeah . Part of my post is just to help others gain from my experience and accelerate the learning curve. Had that Frisco charger had issues , I also had some slower charge point chargers planned out. Hopefully, it helps others calibrate using the GOM for their use.
Sponsored